17 Assisted Living Facilities near Lockport, NY
Also serving communities of Ransomville.
There are 17 Assisted Living Facilities in the Lockport area, with 4 in Lockport and 13 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Lockport is $3,805 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,650.
To help you with your search, browse the 145 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Lockport. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Lockport 3.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Clarence Center with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lockport, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Lockport, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lockport
Lockport, which is named for the Erie Canal locks that are within the city, has a population of a little more than 20,000, of which roughly 20 percent is aged 60 and over. To serve the aging population, the Lockport region offers 38 assisted living facilities. Four of these facilities are located in the city proper. In Lockport, as in all of New York, assisted living facilities are licensed by New York's Department of Health and are categorized as Adult Homes, Enriched Housing Programs and Assisted Living Residences, depending on the level of care they provide.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lockport
- Lockport ranks 50 out of 100 on Sperling's Comfort Index for its harsh winters, which have temperatures around 18 degrees and about 71 inches of annual snowfall. Summers are pleasant, however, with highs in the low-80s, giving seniors plenty of opportunities to be outdoors.
- Lockport is an inexpensive city, coming in nearly 20 percent below the national average. Seniors can expect to spend about 8 percent less on groceries and 10 percent less on health care costs, though transportation costs may be slightly higher here than elsewhere.
- Lockport has a high overall crime rate that surpasses the state average by 91 percent and the national average by 30 percent. The violent crime rate is 23 percent higher than the state average and 20 percent higher than the U.S. average. The rate of property crime is 108 percent higher than the state average and 31 percent higher than the national average.
- Public transportation in Lockport is provided by Rural Niagara Transportation, which operates four routes throughout the city. Additionally, the Senior Medical Van program provides rides for seniors who need to get to medical appointments but have no other way to do so.
- The Lockport area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Eastern Niagara Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Lockport has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Legal Assistance Program, an organization that provides seniors with advice and assistance on legal matters such as neighbor disputes, power of attorney and Medicare and Medicaid problems, as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lockport
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Lockport start around $3,805 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lockport and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lockport
While the state does not provide public subsidization of services for low-income residents, seniors who are eligible for Medicaid may have their services covered through the state’s Long-Term Home Health Program 1915(c) Waiver program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lockport
Lockport and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Lockport, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lockport
Lockport-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Lockport, NY
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Lockport
Review of Briarwood Manor
I have been a resident here for almost 2 years and quite frankly have hated living here. These are just some of the reasons. In all fairness I will submit as well the decent/good things. 1. The... Read more
Review of Lockport Presbyterian Home
Lockport Presbyterian Home was very accommodating and very friendly. The facility was very nice. They had a nice variety of rooms and everything seemed to be in good condition. It was large enough ... Read more
Review of Heritage Manor of Lockport
Heritage Manor of Lockport is a smaller facility, but they designed that to promote socialization within the residents, encouraging them to get out of their rooms. One of the things that I liked wh... Read more