32 Assisted Living Facilities near North Tonawanda, NY
There are 32 Assisted Living Facilities in the North Tonawanda area, with 2 in North Tonawanda and 30 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in North Tonawanda is $4,495 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Tonawanda with an average starting cost of $3,840.
To help you with your search, browse the 258 reviews below for assisted living facilities in North Tonawanda. On average, consumers rate assisted living in North Tonawanda 4.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Niagara Falls with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in North Tonawanda, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in North Tonawanda, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in North Tonawanda
North Tonawanda is named after Tonawanda Creek, which makes up the city's southern border. The creek is part of the Erie Canal and each summer the city celebrates Canal Fest, where seniors can join the city's residents and enjoy music and entertainment along the banks of the canal.
There are 33 assisted living facilities in North Tonawanda and the surrounding area that cater to the city's senior population. They're regulated by the New York State Department of Health and are known as Adult Care Facilities (ACF) or Assisted Living Residences (ALRs).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in North Tonawanda
- New York State, including North Tonawanda, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Rural Niagara Public Transportation offers a deviated-route bus service to the North Tonawanda area. Medical Transportation is also available to residents aged 60 and over who don't have their own transport to medical appointments.
- North Tonawanda has harsh winters that may be challenging for seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors. The average low temperature in January is 17 degrees and the city gets 83 inches of snow each year, 57 inches more than the national average.
- The North Tonawanda area is home to world-class medical facilities, including DeGraff Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The Sperling index rates North Tonawanda's overall cost of living at 89.3, almost 11 points lower than the U.S. average of 100. Seniors on a fixed income can save money on everyday expenses such as groceries. Those with regular health expenses may appreciate the low healthcare costs, which are 12 points lower than the national average.
- North Tonawanda's overall crime rate is 19 crimes per 1,000 residents, which is higher than 86 percent of other communities in New York. The violent crime rate in the city is 1.41, more than two points lower than the New York rate and the property crime rate of 17.95 is around two points higher than the state rate. Safety-conscious seniors may wish to ask staff about security measures in their facilities.
Paying for Assisted Living in North Tonawanda
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in North Tonawanda start around $4,495 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in North Tonawanda and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in North Tonawanda
New York has financial assistance available to a limited number of people in assisted living through the Assisted Living Program, which some seniors may be able to access. North Tonawanda seniors who receive Social Security benefits may also be eligible for the Optional State Supplement.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in North Tonawanda
North Tonawanda and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in North Tonawanda, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
The 10 Best Assisted Living Communities in North Tonawanda Area
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in North Tonawanda
North Tonawanda-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near North Tonawanda, NY
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in North Tonawanda
Review of Wheatfield Commons
Westfield Commons is beautiful. It looks like it came straight out of an HGTV episode, warm and welcoming , with several gathering spaces to accommodate a variety of social needs and preferences. ... Read more
Review of Wheatfield Commons
Wheatfield Commons is a beautiful place, and I absolutely loved it. They have big, beautiful rooms, nice common areas, and kitchen areas. They only have 20 residents in the memory care unit. Its o... Read more
Review of Wheatfield Commons
We are very happy with what we've seen in Wheatfield Commons so far. The staff members are very attentive and they know what they're doing. We've had no issues whatsoever. It's a new senior place a... Read more