25 Assisted Living Facilities near Lancaster, NY
There are 25 Assisted Living Facilities in the Lancaster area, with 3 in Lancaster and 22 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Lancaster is $3,600 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,630.
To help you with your search, browse the 257 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Lancaster. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Lancaster 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include West Seneca with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lancaster, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Lancaster, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lancaster
Lancaster is a suburb in Erie County, New York, 14 miles east of Buffalo. The town is full of historic buildings such as the Warren Hull House and the Lancaster Opera House, and is home to a thriving population, 15.8 percent of which are over the age of 65. Seniors looking for assisted living facilities (ALFs) can choose from three in town and more than a dozen in the surrounding areas. The New York Department of Health regulates ALFs and defines them as adult care facilities (ACFs) which provide nonmedical care and room and board for seniors.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lancaster
- Lancaster is a great choice for seniors on a budget as the cost of living here is relatively low, only 0.9 percent higher than the U.S. average. Housing is the biggest factor for this difference with grocery, travel and health care costs coming in below national medians.
- The climate in Lancaster is variable. The summers are warm and pleasant with highs of 80 degrees in July, but winters can get quite cold with temperatures sometimes dropping to 18 degrees in January. Snowfall averages 98 inches per year which could be an issue for seniors who need to get outdoors during the winter months.
- Crime is low in Lancaster, so seniors can feel safe traveling around town. The town is safer than 56 percent of U.S. cities. Violent crime scored a 21.5 on a scale of 0 to 100 with 100 representing high crime. Property crime is even lower at 19.7.
- For seniors who don’t drive, Lancaster has a couple of public transportation options. NFTA Metro has several buses that stop downtown with reduced fares for seniors over 65. The Lancaster Senior Center provides van transportation Monday through Friday.
- Social security benefits are not taxed in the state of New York and income from private pensions and retirement accounts have tax deductions which could be beneficial for seniors living on a budget.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lancaster
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Lancaster start around $3,600 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lancaster and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lancaster
Seniors who wish to apply for financial aid for assisted living in Lancaster may do so through two New York government programs: Medicaid’s Managed Long Term Care Waiver (MLTC) and the Assisted Living Program (ALP).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lancaster
Lancaster and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Lancaster, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lancaster
Lancaster-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Lancaster, NY
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Lancaster
Review of Lancaster Manor
Very kind staff, good food and clean. My Father has lived there for 2 years and is treated very well not only by front line staff but also upper management Mary Ellen and the new owner Joe. It’s no... Read more
Review of Lancaster Manor
My son is at Symphony Manor and some things are happening that are objectionable, and they have a large turnover of staff. They don't have any medical people there at all. It's a very old building,... Read more
Review of GreenField Continuing Care Community
Greenfield was a truly horrible experience for our family. The facade is wonderful and inviting, however the Management was below sub-par in some of the 'Business Units' .. particularly The Terrace... Read more