41 Assisted Living Facilities near Paramus, NJ
Also serving communities of Fair Lawn, Ridgewood, Emerson.
There are 41 Assisted Living Facilities in the Paramus area, with 5 in Paramus and 36 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Paramus is $5,703 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Teaneck with an average starting cost of $4,658.
To help you with your search, browse the 331 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Paramus. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Paramus 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Teaneck with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 7 families in Paramus find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Paramus, call (855) 863-8283.
5 Assisted Living Facilities in Paramus, NJ
36 Assisted Living Facilities near Paramus, NJ
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Paramus
The Wall Street Journal described Paramus, New Jersey as the "quintissential suburb" — for good reason. Paramus is just 15 to 20 miles from Midtown Manhattan, blending its small-town feel and modest property taxes with convenient access to New York City. Paramus is home to five assisted living facilities, with another 56 nearby in the Big Apple and its boroughs. In Paramus, along with the rest of New Jersey, assisted living facilities, termed assisted living residences, or ALRs, by the state, are regulated by the Department of Health and Senior Services, which issues licenses to ALRs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Paramus
- Seniors living in Paramus will experience four seasons. Winter months bring frigid weather, with average high temperatures in the 30s and lows in the teens. Summers are warm, with temperatures reaching the upper 80s.
- Due to its proximity to New York City, Paramus has a high cost of living. Housing costs are particularly expensive. As a result, seniors will find that assisted living expenses are significantly higher than other areas.
- Paramus is safer than just 8 percent of U.S. cities. However, most of the crime in Paramus is nonviolent. Property crime rates exceed both the New Jersey and national medians. However, violent crime rates are low, with a violent crime risk of just 1 in 791.
- Art-loving seniors will enjoy exploring local art galleries around Paramus. Notably, the Gallery Bergen and Thomas Kinkade Gallery are worth a visit. In addition, the Paramus Cultural Arts Council produces year-round events, including its popular summer concert series featuring live music outdoors.
- The Paramus area is home to world-class medical facilities, including New Bridge Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Paramus has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Bergen County Division of Senior Services, an organization that provides seniors with education and events, as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Paramus
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New Jersey
Assisted Living costs in Paramus start around $5,703 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Paramus and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Paramus
Eligible seniors in New Jersey can access two financial aid programs for assisted living expenses. The Medicaid Managed Long Term Services and Supports program offers funding for assisted living for seniors who meet financial, clinical or age or disability requirements. Additionally, the optional state supplement program funds room and board for Medicaid-eligible seniors.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Paramus
Paramus and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Paramus, please visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Paramus
Paramus-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Paramus, NJ
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Paramus
Review of Brookdale Paramus
My mother-in-law went to Brookdale Paramus. The problem with the place is they changed help constantly and they started getting very expensive. The services weren't as good as when we first got in.... Read more
Review of Brightview Paramus
Brightview Paramus looked beautiful. The lobby was gorgeous and the landscaping outside was lovely. It was a little expensive for my dad, and I dont think it was a good fit for him. It was more fo... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Paramus
Sunrise of Paramus was a nice and very homey place. The people are very inviting and it's very clean. The staff was everywhere because they had enough staff members to do whatever they were doing. ... Read more