125 Assisted Living Facilities near Oakdale, MN
Also serving communities of North Saint Paul, Lake Elmo.
There are 125 Assisted Living Facilities in the Oakdale area, with 4 in Oakdale and 121 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Oakdale is $2,565 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 452 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Oakdale. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Oakdale 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Maplewood with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Oakdale, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Oakdale, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Oakdale
Oakdale is a suburb of Saint Paul Minnesota and is located on the east side of the Twin Cities metropolitan area. Oakdale is surrounded by beautiful parks and nature trails. The area is home to just over 28,000 residents, 14.3 percent of whom are over the age of 65. There are three assisted living facilities located in Oakdale and another 58 located nearby in cities such as Saint Paul, Maplewood, and Inver Grove Heights.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Oakdale
- There are no facilities to choose from in the event of medical emergencies or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Woodbury.
- There are several safe public transportation options available to seniors who wish to travel throughout Oakdale and surrounding areas. Metro Transit and Gateway Corridor Gold Line BRT are both available seven days per week and offer reduced rates for senior citizens.
- There is plenty of arts and culture to entertain seniors in the Oakdale area. Some assisted living facilities may offer supervised day trips for residents to take in the area's top attractions, such as the Mall of America.
- Oakdale gets nearly twice as much snow as the average U.S. city. The city receives 50 inches of snow each year, while the national average is only 26 inches. This weather may be too harsh for some seniors who enjoy outdoor activities.
- Seniors with breathing-related medical problems don't have to concern themselves with the air quality in Oakdale, as it has received a passing grade from the American Lung Association.
- Seniors may feel unsafe living in Oakdale due to its high property crime rates. A total of 30.31 property crime rates occur per 1,000 residents annually, while only 21.33 per 1,000 residents occur on average throughout Minnesota.
Paying for Assisted Living in Oakdale
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Oakdale start around $2,565 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Oakdale and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Oakdale
Seniors residing in assisted living facilities in the Oakdale area can apply for financial assistance under one of several Medicaid 1915(c) Waiver programs offered by the state. Depending on the senior's individual circumstances, they may be eligible for assistance with the cost of services under one of the following waiver programs: Elderly, Traumatic Brain Injury, Community Alternatives for Disabled Adults or Community Alternative Care.
Seniors who receive Supplemental Security Income are able to apply for additional assistance by way of an Optional State Supplement, which provides additional funds to pay for room and board costs.
Family supplementation is permitted in Minnesota, and the state doesn't limit what assisted living facilities can charge for room and board.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Oakdale
Oakdale and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Oakdale, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Oakdale
Oakdale-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Oakdale, MN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Oakdale
Review of The Waters of Oakdale
My mom has been living at The Waters of a Oakdale going on four years. We looked at many senior apartments that felt more like nursing homes than independent living. When we looked at The Waters it... Read more
Review of Oak Meadows
We love Oak Meadows. My mother likes the size of the bathrooms, the way the kitchen is laid out, the view out the window of the woods, and the staff. I haven't heard anything negative. She likes th... Read more
Review of The Waters of Oakdale
We liked The Waters of Oakdale. It was a very nice place but a little expensive. The staff was nice. The dining area was very nice. It's a smaller facility than where Mom is in now, but it's decora... Read more