173 Assisted Living Facilities near West St Paul, MN
Also serving communities of West Saint Paul.
There are 173 Assisted Living Facilities in the West St Paul area, with 3 in West St Paul and 170 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 651 reviews below for assisted living facilities in West St Paul. On average, consumers rate assisted living in West St Paul 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Maplewood with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in West St Paul, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in West St Paul, MN
170 Assisted Living Facilities near West St Paul, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in West St. Paul
West St. Paul is home to over a dozen parks, where visitors can enjoy the beauty of the outdoors on paved walking paths, quiet nature areas and shaded picnic spots. The city has nearly 20,000 residents, almost 16% of whom are aged 65 and over. West St. Paul has three assisted living facilities available to accommodate those seniors.
In all of Minnesota, including West St. Paul, these facilities serve one or more residents and are required to register annually with the Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in West St. Paul
- Minnesota is among the few states that impose state income tax on all forms of retirement income, including Social Security benefits. This may affect how much money seniors can put toward assisted living expenses in West St. Paul.
- West St. Paul's air quality is decent, which may be beneficial to seniors who have conditions like heart disease or COPD. The American Lung Association gives Dakota County, where this city is located, a B for short-term particle pollution and a passing grade for annual particle pollution.
- The overall cost of living in West St. Paul is about 14% higher than the national average. While this may be a consideration for seniors who have restrictive assisted living budgets, some living expenses may be offset by the relatively low cost of healthcare, which is about 14% below the national average.
- West St. Paul has a fairly high crime rate, so seniors who are seeking out assisted living may want to find a facility that uses security features like surveillance cameras and alarm systems. The city has a higher crime rate than 96% of U.S. cities of all sizes and 99% of Minnesota cities of all sizes, and a resident's chance of being the victim of any type of crime is one in 19.
- Transportation services for seniors in West St. Paul is provided by DARTS, which is a one-on-one service that provides wheelchair-friendly transportation to anywhere in the city. The city also has a public transportation system operated by Metro Transit, which seniors can use at a discounted fare.
- The West St. Paul region has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in St. Paul.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in West St. Paul
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in West St Paul start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in West St Paul and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in West St. Paul
Minnesota has several Medicaid 1915(c) Waiver programs that may cover the cost of assisted living services, including the Elderly Waiver. Seniors in West St. Paul who meet eligibility criteria may also have some services covered through the Minnesota Consumer Support Grant program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in West St. Paul
West St. Paul and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in West St. Paul, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in West St. Paul
West St. Paul-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near West St Paul, MN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in West St Paul
Review of Walker Methodist, Westwood Ridge
Mom lived here for many years without needing services & it was fine. However, medication service was missed & was never investigated, despite multiple requests. Med changes were not impl... Read more
Review of Walker Methodist, Westwood Ridge
Walker at Westwood Ridge is fine, but their residents are mostly over 70. They have a lot of activities for the residents to do, and it seems like a good community. You get the services as you need... Read more
Review of Southview Senior Living
I'm moving into Southview Senior Living. It is just the right size community for me as it is not too large and not too small. It has a fair number of men as opposed to having all women and is reaso... Read more