105 Assisted Living Facilities near Mahtomedi, MN
There are 105 Assisted Living Facilities in the Mahtomedi area, with 3 in Mahtomedi and 102 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Mahtomedi is $4,350 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include White Bear Lake with an average starting cost of $2,185.
To help you with your search, browse the 385 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Mahtomedi. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Mahtomedi 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include White Bear Lake with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Mahtomedi, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Mahtomedi, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Mahtomedi
Mahtomedi is a suburb of Minneapolis-St. Paul and ranked in the top three best places to live in Washington County. The small-town feeling appeals to many seniors who also appreciate being a short drive from big-city amenities. Residents aged 65 and older make up nearly 16% of Mahtomedi’s population of about 7,700. Those needing help with personal care, transportation and medical services have an array of assisted living facilities to choose from. Mahtomedi offers two, and another 92 are found in surrounding cities.
In Minnesota, assisted living is sometimes called “assisted living home care.” This refers to the agency providing services in a residential facility. As in the rest of the state, the Minnesota Department of Health regulates assisted living communities in Mahtomedi.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Mahtomedi
- With about a 20-mile drive to the Twin Cities, Mahtomedi seniors have access to cultural events and world-class dining and shopping. A vibrant performing arts scene and several professional sports teams ensure there’s often something exciting happening a half-hour away.
- Seniors who enjoy outdoor recreational activities can breathe easy knowing Mahtomedi's air quality is good. The American Lung Association grades the city’s location in Washington County an “A” for ozone pollution and a “B” for particle pollution.
- The lower cost of healthcare and groceries in Mahtomedi may help seniors stretch their dollars. The cost of housing is 75% higher than the national average, and transportation is about 25% higher. These costs are responsible for Mahtomedi’s overall cost of living being about 27% higher than the U.S. average.
- The Mahtomedi area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Lakeview Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The relative safety of living in Mahtomedi may put seniors at ease since the crime rates here are lower than the U.S. averages. Violent crime scores 7.8 on a 100-point scale, with one being low crime. The national average is 22.7. Property crime in Mahtomedi ranks 22.9, also lower than the U.S. average of 35.4.
- Seniors who dislike snowy, cold winters may not enjoy living in Mahtomedi. The city averages 52 inches of annual snowfall. The average low in January is a frigid six degrees. Sperling’s gives Mahtomedi a Comfort Index score of 38 out of 100, which is significantly lower than the national average score of 54.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Mahtomedi
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Mahtomedi start around $4,350 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Mahtomedi and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Mahtomedi
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Mahtomedi
Mahtomedi and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Mahtomedi, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Mahtomedi
Mahtomedi-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Mahtomedi, MN
Other Options in Mahtomedi, MN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Mahtomedi
Review of St. Andrew's Village
St. Andrew's Village Mahtomedi is right across the street from my sister's. We entered through the front door. We kind of got to see all of the levels of care that they have, but the focus is on as... Read more
Review of Encore at Mahtomedi
Encore at Mahtomedi was very nice. The lady that took us around assisted living showed us different apartments, a studio, and a 1-bedroom. People there seemed to be very cordial. We talked to sever... Read more
Review of Encore at Mahtomedi
We chose Encore at Mahtomedi for my mom, because it's a very small community. There are only 16 residents, and they'll bring her her dinner at no charge to her room. They provide three meals, help ... Read more