8 Assisted Living Facilities near Elk River, MN
There are 8 Assisted Living Facilities in the Elk River area, with 2 in Elk River and 6 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 45 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Elk River. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Elk River 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Champlin with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Elk River, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Elk River, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Elk River
Elk River is a tranquil town at the confluence of the Elk and Mississippi rivers that boasts a wide range of indoor and outdoor recreational activities for seniors. That's just one reason why this is an attractive town for the 2,500 residents who are aged 65 and over. Some seniors in the community require assistance with their daily activities, and they can get the help they need from the two assisted living facilities in town or the five additional facilities located in the surrounding areas.
The facilities in Elk River and other cities in Minnesota are considered housing with services establishments according to the Department of Health. They are licensed as either Class A or Class F home care providers.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Elk River
- The Tri-County Action Program offers limited public transportation options for residents in Sherburne Country, including Elk River. Seniors also have access to the Northstar Commuter Rail line which goes to downtown Minneapolis. Train tickets are available at a discount for seniors.
- Elk River may not be the most affordable place to live for seniors. The overall cost of living is 15.3% higher than the national average of 100 and nine points higher than the Minnesota average.
- Downtown Murals have helped create a lively atmosphere in Elk River for more than 25 years, and the Elk River Area Arts Alliance hosts artistic classes and exhibits that seniors can participate in year-round.
- Harsh winters are a normal part of life for people in Elk River, so active seniors may be limited in their activities certain times of the year. The average low temperature in January is a frigid three degrees, and the area gets about 46 inches of snow per year.
- Elk River has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Sherburne County Essential Community Supports (ECS), an organization that helps seniors take advantage of community-based services as well as one senior center.
- Elk River has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Coon Rapids.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Elk River
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Elk River start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Elk River and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Elk River
Elk River seniors who qualify for Medicaid may be eligible for an Elderly Waiver that can help pay for some assisted living services. Outside of Medicaid, the Housing Support Program helps low-income seniors pay for food and board at housing with services establishments.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Elk River
Elk River and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Elk River, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Elk River
Elk River-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Elk River
Review of Elk River Senior Living
When the facility first opened it was BEAUTIFUL. Management changed and everything went downhill! They need Kylie and Rachel back ASAP! The food has been hit or miss, mostly a miss. How the ki... Read more
Review of Guardian Angels By the Lake
Guardian Angels By the Lake was very nice, and the staff was very nice when we came in for a visit. My sister-in-law knew somebody there, so she felt comfortable when that gal said that she loved l... Read more
Review of Guardian Angels By the Lake
Guardian Angels looks good, very clean, and very well cared for. It looked very nice. They had a big, nice, and clean dining area. Read more