41 Assisted Living Facilities near Flint, MI
There are 41 Assisted Living Facilities in the Flint area, with 16 in Flint and 25 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Flint is $2,912 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 192 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Flint. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Flint 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Burton with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Flint, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Flint, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Flint
Situated along the Flint River, the city of Flint is the largest city in Genesee County. In 2015 Flint was declared to be in a state of emergency due to leaching of lead into drinking water. Since then, residents have been urged not to drink or bathe in the water without running it through a NSF certified water filter. Pipe replacement is long-term, ongoing project to fix the problem. Senior residents should only drink and bathe in bottled or filtered water until the state of emergency is cleared. There are 42 assisted living facilities in Flint, Michigan area, all of which are regulated by the Michigan Bureau of Child and Adult Licensing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Flint
- Located in east-central Michigan along the Flint River, Flint is known for its warm summers and cold, snowy winters. The average high temperature in January is 30 degrees Fahrenheit and 82 degrees Fahrenheit in July.
- Flint is home to the Valley Area Agency on Aging, which provides a number of services for residents aged 60 and older, including meals on wheels, exercise programs and senior bus transportation. There are also three senior centers within the city limits.
- Crime, particularly theft and property crime, is a growing problem in Flint as it is in many other parts of Michigan. Although the crime rate in Flint has decreased slightly in recent years, it is still 76 percent higher than the national average.
- The Flint area is home to world-class medical facilities including McLaren Flint Medical Center and Hurley Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- It's not difficult to travel around Flint. The Flint Mass Transit Authority provides regular, scheduled public bus service throughout Flint and between the city and other points in southeast Michigan. The Michigan Smart Bus system offers curb-to-curb service to points within 10 miles (with advanced reservations), making it an ideal option for seniors who can't walk far.
- Flint is home to a number of cultural sites and museums. Chief among these is the Flint Institute of the Arts, the Sloan Museum with its extensive collection of vintage automobiles and Crossroads Village, a 1800s-era lakeside village with 34 restored buildings.
Paying for Assisted Living in Flint
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Flint start around $2,950 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Flint and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Flint
There are a number of programs that offer financial assistance to eligible Flint, Michigan seniors living in an ALF. These include Medicaid State Plan , MI Choice and Supplemental Security Income Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Flint
Flint and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Flint, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Flint
Flint-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Flint, MI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Flint
Review of Sugarbush House #4
Sugarbush House #4 was clean, very nice, and warm looking. It looked like everybody was happy over there. The representative of the Sugarbush company was a very sweet and caring person. She really ... Read more
Review of Woodhaven Senior Community
I'm strongly thinking of placing my father at Woodhaven Senior Community. I liked the white halls, I liked that it's all one story because of his condition; he's almost blind. I liked that they had... Read more
Review of Sugarbush House #1
Sugarbush House #1 is like a private home back in an older neighborhood. The woman was very knowledgeable, she was kind. It's just not the place for my dad. I found the place dirty, I didn't like t... Read more