23 Assisted Living Facilities near Columbus, GA
With an average cost of $2,746 in Columbus, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 72 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 22 facilities in Columbus.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Columbus, GA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Columbus
Columbus, Ga. offers residents a variety of things to do, including art exhibits, historical tours, the Frogtown Crawfish Festival and the River Walk Geo tour. Seniors can partake in these activities with family and friends from their assisted living communities. Assisted living facilities in Columbus fall under the authority of the Georgia Department of Community Health. For a community to stay in good standing under the department's guidelines, it must care for 25 or more people and provide for the distribution of medications by a certified medication aide. It must also provide help with or facilities for essential daily living activities. These EDLAs must include eating, bathing, grooming, dressing and toileting. There are 20 assisted living facilities in Columbus that meet these guidelines.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Columbus
- The cost of living in Columbus is 18.5 percent lower than the national average, and the city enjoys a slight edge in health care costs. This makes it an attractive community for seniors who live on a limited budget.
- Columbus came in number 78 on the list of midsized cities for crime. This places it closer to the bottom than the top. Most of the crime in the area falls into the property category with its violent crime rating being below average.
- The Columbus area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Francis Hospital, Piedmont Columbus Regional and Columbus Specialty Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- With its own opera house, ballet company, performing arts center and many museums the city of Columbus offers a wide variety of art and cultural activities for seniors to enjoy. Historical tours, concerts, plays and meditation classes are just a few of the free options available in the city.
- Columbus enjoys more sunny days each year than the average U.S. city, but it also receives 9 more inches of rain due to frequent thunderstorms. Summer highs in the low 90s and winter lows that rarely approach the freezing mark make the climate in Columbus ideal for seniors who suffer from joint pain in colder weather.
- Columbus has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Golden Agers Senior Adult Program an organization that offers fellowship, transportation, health screenings services and recreational activities as well as four other senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Columbus
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Georgia
Assisted Living costs in Columbus start around $2,702 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Columbus and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Columbus
Seniors who qualify can apply for financial aid to help pay for assisted living facilities in Columbus through two state-operated Medicaid waiver programs: the Community Care Service Program (CCSP) and Service Options Using Resources in a Community Environment (Service Options Using Resources in a Community Environment (SOURCE).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Georgia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Georgia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Columbus
Columbus and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Columbus, please visit our Assisted Living in Georgia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Columbus
Columbus-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Georgia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Georgia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Columbus, GA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Columbus
Review of Morningside of Columbus
I've been to Morningside of Columbus a couple of years ago. I visited somebody from my church who stayed there. It was an acceptable place to go, but they're revamping. I visited this one person a ... Read more
Review of Morningside of Columbus
My mom has received consistent, quality care for 12 1/2 years. We have to leave due to finance, if not we would continue at Morningside. Even during difficult times she was cared for. I could not b... Read more
Review of Thrive at Green Island
Amazing place. They take great care of my grandmother. Can't say enough good things about the staff and the facility. Read more