9 Assisted Living Facilities near Torrington, CT
Also serving communities of Litchfield.
There are 9 Assisted Living Facilities in the Torrington area, with 2 in Torrington and 7 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Torrington is $4,157 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,595. Cheaper nearby regions include Farmington with an average starting cost of $4,052.
To help you with your search, browse the 50 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Torrington. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Torrington 4.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Canaan with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Torrington, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Torrington, CT
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Torrington
With approximately 34,200 residents, 18.5% of whom are seniors, Torrington is the largest city in Litchfield County. The city is the site of the historic Warner Theater, which was built by Warner Brothers Studios in 1931. Today, the restored theater is a performing arts center.
Torrington seniors who need help with daily activities have several assisted living facilities to choose from. There are two facilities within city limits, plus another four in Avon, Litchfield and surrounding towns. Like facilities throughout the state, they’re regulated by the Connecticut State Department of Public Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Torrington
- Seniors can book rides on the Rural Transit Dial-a-Ride service to get around Torrington and other communities in northwestern Connecticut. Seniors can ride this curb-to-curb bus for free, though a donation of $1.25 per one-way trip is suggested. Another public transit option in Torrington is the Candystriper, a flexible bus route service.
- Hartford-East Hartford, the closest major metropolitan area, was recently ranked among America’s most polluted cities by the American Lung Association. The city ranks 23rd for high ozone days. Ozone can cause breathing problems, and it’s especially dangerous for seniors and people with lung diseases. On high ozone days, seniors may choose to stay indoors.
- The Torrington area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Charlotte Hungerford Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Kiplinger recently dubbed Connecticut one of the ten least tax-friendly states for retirees. Retirement plans and private pensions are subject to state tax, though military pensions are exempt. Taxpayers who earn less than $50,000 per year don’t have to pay tax on their Social Security benefits, so some seniors may enjoy a lower tax bill. These savings can be used to help pay for assisted living.
- Compared to other similarly sized cities, Torrington has a relatively low crime rate. Per 1,000 residents, there are only 1.62 violent crimes and 16.16 property crimes. This low crime rate may help seniors feel safe.
- Seniors who retire in Torrington may appreciate the area’s relatively low cost of living. It’s 3.1% more affordable than the national average, and 18.2% more affordable than the Connecticut norm. This is largely thanks to low housing costs, but transportation costs also contribute.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Torrington
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Connecticut
Assisted Living costs in Torrington start around $4,157 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Torrington and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Torrington
The Connecticut Home Care Program for Elders may help seniors with the costs of assisted living in Torrington. This Medicaid waiver may pay for the supportive services and personal assistance that seniors receive in these facilities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Torrington
Torrington and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Torrington, please visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Torrington
Torrington-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Connecticut are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Torrington, CT
Other Options in Torrington, CT
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Torrington
Review of The Cottage at Litchfield Hills
The facility that I'm most interested in and that I just visited was in Connecticut, and that's called The Cottage at Litchfield Hills in Torrington. I'm pretty impressed by them to the point where... Read more
Review of The Cottage at Litchfield Hills
My mother-in-law is at The Cottage at Litchfield Hills. It's not a really large facility. They have enough space, but it's very close knit. Everybody that's worked there has worked there for a whil... Read more
Review of Keystone Place at Newbury Brook
My wife was in assisted living at Keystone Place at Newbury Brook for three months in the beginning of 2020, and then we moved her out. They were absolutely fine. The rooms were fine, and it's a re... Read more