18 Assisted Living Facilities near Boulder, CO
Also serving communities of Grand Lake.
There are 18 Assisted Living Facilities in the Boulder area, with 12 in Boulder and 6 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Boulder is $4,633 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,465. Cheaper nearby regions include Lafayette with an average starting cost of $4,236.
To help you with your search, browse the 135 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Boulder. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Boulder 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lafayette with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Boulder find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Boulder, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Boulder, CO
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Boulder
Boulder, Colorado is a picturesque town amidst the Rocky Mountains, surrounded by 45,000 acres of open space preserved by the town. With open space and 300 days of sunshine per year, seniors have plenty of opportunities for outdoor excursions. The city also features award-winning restaurants and craft breweries as well tech and natural food industries. For seniors interested in assisted living communities, there are 12 in Boulder and six more nearby. In Colorado, the rules and regulations of Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs) are governed by the Department of Public Health and Environment, Health Facilities and Emergency Medical Services Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Boulder
- While the American Lung Association gave Boulder County a grade of B for its Particle Pollution 24-hour score, its ozone score received an F. This is information to consider for seniors with a respiratory illness, asthma, or chronic bronchitis.
- Seniors on a budget should consider that the average cost of living in Colorado is 16.70 percent higher than the national average. Boulder is even more expensive with a cost of living that is higher than 78 percent of the country.
- With a violent crime ranking of 18.6 out of 100 (1 being the safest), Boulder is safer than most cities in the U. S. (the average is 31.1). Seniors and their loved ones can take comfort in the safety of this area. Property crime, on the other hand, is 39.2, slightly higher than the national average of 38.1.
- The winters in Boulder are very cold with January temperatures averaging 18 degrees. Twenty-six inches of snow per year could be problematic for seniors who have limited mobility or don't enjoy spending time outdoors. Summer temperatures are a comfortable 88 degrees.
- The Boulder area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Boulder Community Health and Boulder Community Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Boulder County is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Boulder
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Colorado
Assisted Living costs in Boulder start around $4,654 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Boulder and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Boulder
Qualified Colorado seniors have several options to choose from when seeking financial aid. Health First Colorado, the state's Medicaid plan, covers costs associated with ALFs and offers several Medicaid waivers to eligible individuals.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Colorado page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Colorado page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Boulder
Boulder and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Boulder, please visit our Assisted Living in Colorado page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Boulder
Boulder-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Colorado are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Colorado page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Boulder, CO
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Boulder
Review of Shawnee Gardens
Shawnee Gardens is second to none! My mother has been a resident of Shawnee Gardens for over 10 years now. She has unique health issues and has been taken care of incredibly well throughout all of ... Read more
Review of HCR ManorCare Health Services - Boulder
My dear friend lives at Manor Care. Recently, I sent her a kindle for a little entertainment. She is not very technical and some adjustments needed to be made in her room to make it more technol... Read more
Review of Shawnee Gardens
Shawnee is a home not a facility. Living at Shawnee has added years to Edie's life. The small number of residents means each resident get individual care, there is a personal connection between the... Read more