The Citadel Senior Living

Reviews of The Citadel Senior Living

Assisted Living Reviews for The Citadel Senior Living

December 28, 2016

By Ralph611786

The Citadel is convenient to me. It seemed like there's quite a bit of activity going on there. I was pleased with it and didn't have any complaints. It was clean. The rooms were adequate, and the dining area was clean. The grounds looked well kept. The person who gave us the tour was impressive.

November 02, 2016

By Frank076757

The Citadel seemed like it was in good shape and it seemed nice. The cafeteria looked like it needed some more because it was older. Everything else seemed fine. There's a shopping center and a supermarket nearby.

September 29, 2016

By Anna701605

I liked the location of The Citadel. I didn’t like the fact that we have to go out to go to the dining room, and if it rains or if there’s a bad weather, it becomes a problem to get to the dining room. I saw one room, and I thought it was very dark, very depressing, and very small, so that was not interesting to me at all. The personnel had been fantastic.

June 17, 2016

By Mark680382

We liked The Citadel. It’s a very nice place but farther away than my mom wanted to live. The staff was very pleasant and friendly. They offer a lot of activities for the residents. I would rate them highly.

December 20, 2015

By Carolyn117308450

I thought theapartments, staff, and food at Citadel were good. They have exercise classes and a swimming pool.

July 04, 2015

By Doug20

My mom is in The Citadel Retirement. Our impression is very good. She has moved from independent living to assisted living. She has a studio, and it is spacious. The dining room has a clubhouse feel to it. They have something to do every hour of the day like bingo, exercising, and fieldtrips. It is very safe and secure.

May 22, 2015

By Donald39

We took my parents over to The Citadel Retirement. They’re awesome and more than helpful. My parents did eat there; they said the food was very good. The apartments are decent and a nice size.

April 27, 2015

The staff at Citadel Retirement is very friendly. I like the way that they had all 3 levels of care in separate buildings. You can start out as independent. When they get worse, they can go to assisted, and when they get to the end of life, they can go to a medical care facility all on the same property, so that was a big bonus. I had eaten there several times; it was excellent. They offer a great amount of activities. The sanitation seems to be very good. Very nice, clean place -- inside and outside. The grounds were nice and kept, too. We’re so happy with them so far.

January 03, 2015

My brother moved in last Friday at Citadel. They were very friendly, open, and willing to help other people, and that really impressed me. The rooms are very nice and well-kept up as well as the facility itself. They do a lot of lawn maintenance, and they’re really on top of things. The staff was very good and helpful. My brother seems to like the food, and that’s a plus. I know they make a lot of field trips out; they go out to various places and shopping.

July 03, 2014

By Joyce Ann daughter

My mom lived in the Citadel assisted living for two years. She was very happy there. She made friends quickly, went to exercise classes, played bridge and participated in many of the other activities. Her apartment was very nice and we had it fixed up so it looked like a smaller version of her home. Rebecca, the manager of the citadel, was very easy to talk to and is continually improving the care, food, and general facility. I am so glad that my mom could live the last two years of her life in such a wonderful place. I never worried about her there.

June 26, 2014

We were able to visit The Citadel Retirement, and this facility is very nice. I think everything is very nice because I don’t remember anything that was negative about it. I can see that there's quite a few activities going on there.

March 20, 2014

By Debra24

When we first moved in Citadel, I had all kinds of questions. They didn't have a problem with that. The staff is very friendly, very helpful, and they answer any questions. For what it's worth, my father loves it there. He raves about the food. He likes everything about it. He was kind of screaming when we put him into the facility. Now that he's in there, he loves it. The rooms and flooring are fairly nice. Before we moved in, they either changed or replaced the carpet. It was a nice little apartment. I tried breakfast there one time. They have happy hour every Monday. They do outings, they go out for dinner to restaurants every Wednesday, they have bingo, card games, and entertainment all the time. They have a putting green, a workout room, and they celebrate certain holidays. Their activity calendar is pretty well filled. It's 4 miles from my work, I go by that facility every day. It doesn't mean that I stop in, but if anything would ever happen to him I can be there right away. That's why we picked it.

December 31, 2013

By Mandy1

Everything is awesome we have no complaints. The staff is excellent and great. They take him to his doctor's appointment and they had a lot of activities

October 30, 2013

By Kathy72604550

Citadel was nice but they only had a third floor apartment available and no washer and dryer in the apartment. The people seemed pretty good. The rooms, the size of the apartments and the location were very nice. They could just add a washer and dryer into their apartment so that the residents don't have so far to go to do their laundry.

May 23, 2013

By Caring 3239

My husband's great aunt used to live at Citadel Assisted Living. She had her own apartment, and it was clean and organized. She was pretty happy during her stay there.

July 27, 2011

By Emmyrose

This facility offers independent living, assisted living, memory care, and skilled nursing. Their independent living building is three stories. The skilled nursing and memory care are in the same building. They have a separate two-story building for assisted living. They have an RN in house. They have LPNs, and RAs 24-7, so there's always a nurse on call or in house. This is a gorgeous facility. The building is stuccoed, and they have room for picnics in the grounds. They have a whole area where the residents can walk around where there are flowers and trees and bushes. The floors inside are all marble. They have potted plants throughout, and even the nursing room area is beautiful. It's really swanky. They have laundry, a beauty salon, a library, on-site physical therapy, and they provide transportation with their own vans to the residents. They have dining rooms on different floors, and they have a formal dining room downstairs that looks like a really nice restaurant that any resident can go to. During the day, the RNs are the ones who actually pass out the meds. They have private rooms for the residents. They have studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom apartments for the independent living and assisted living. All the apartments are good sized and have kitchens and either balconies or patios. The bedrooms are carpeted unless the resident is disabled and needs tile floors. The showers and kitchens are wheelchair accessible with low counters and roll-in showers. They have great food. They have three meals a day plus snacks, and they have good variety on the menu. They have an on-site bank, so that the residents don't have to go out to the bank, and even the employees can cash their checks there. It has lots of parking for visitors. They have lots of activities "“ bingo, barbecues, cards, shuffleboard, etc. They used to put on skits, but I don't know if they do that anymore. If a resident is musically inclined, they'll have a music session. They always have music playing in the dining rooms, and they have dance sessions occasionally. They have birthday parties once a month for everyone whose birthday is that month. They also have rooms where residents' families can have private parties if they want. This is a big facility, so the only downside is that they might be colder with their residents as they are at most big places. I don't know if that's true at this place, though.

Independent Living Reviews for The Citadel Senior Living

January 06, 2017

By Suzisnare

My mom wanted to move into the Citadel. The courtyard was beautiful, and the rooms were nice. The staff was very informative, took their time, and didn't rush us through. The dining area was very nice, but the food was just OK, not great. It was also one of the most reasonably priced we saw.

June 10, 2016

By EssyPOPRD

The person who took us around at the Citadel was excellent, very knowledgeable, and very helpful. We didn’t get the chance to have the food, but we’re supposed to be invited back for a meal. I liked everything about it, including the size of the apartment. I would have liked there to be laundry facilities within the apartment, but there were enough around the complex. They had a lot of activities planned. The person who I am to see suggested that we come during an activity, have a meal, and partake in the activity, which I will do. It’s one that we are considering. The price is reasonable, and they have very nice amenities. I would like to see a healthier menu.

March 30, 2016

By family member16

My visit to Citadel was good and homey. The rooms were nice and just the right size.

March 26, 2016

By Visitor122359150

I’m moving to the Citadel. It is a very welcoming, good facility with very accepting management. The food in the restaurant was great. The rooms were fine but need a little more storage space.

January 26, 2016

By Susan118823650

I am in The Citadel Retirement right now. The people are really good, but I am new. I was told that I would speak to somebody from the dining room about special diet because the food they have is not what I can eat. I'm in a two-bedroom apartment, and it's really nice. The best thing is they offered all the paperwork, and almost everything that the other places offered at less than half the price while I was on a very tight budget. They have very little activities so far.

September 20, 2015

Everyone was really nice at Citadel Retirement. Everything was really organized and super easy to understand. The rooms/apartments were really clean and well maintained. The dining facility was very clean and well put together. They have weekly outings that they organize for the guests. What I like about this community is that it is close to my house. The staff was very responsive. They answered all my questions. They fix things right away if need be.

July 04, 2015

I went to visit Citadel. It was a wonderful experience. It is a perfect place to live. The staff was absolutely wonderful. The apartments were absolutely beautiful. They were spacious. Their dining room was excellent. They have everything there. They're 100% covered on any and all activities. Security was fine.

May 28, 2015

By Diane107796450

My father moved to The Citadel Retirement. What we like about it is that it is a newer facility, and it had the capability of being independent living now, but assisted living later if it's that what he needs. He liked that his meals are provided, and they are doing his laundry and cleaning his apartment for him, which he enjoys. He likes the activities every day, and he can just show up and get involved with those. They really got a lot of residents engaged because he had gone to several different activities, there are always a lot of people there wanting to do it, so it's fun and he is making a lot of new people that way. There is also an emergency button in his room, and once a day, he has to push the button to let them know that he is up and moving. If he doesn’t push the button, they come up to his room. He also needs to push if he needs help, and he likes that.

May 08, 2015

By Verla1

Citadel Retirement is probably a much older place, and I like new things. We talked to one man which my husband knew. He had just been there for only three or four days, but he is fine. They play card games, and we liked that. We also like dominoes and the different events that they offered.

April 18, 2015

By Barbara105399450

I met one very friendly person at Citadel Retirement. I like the fact that they had outdoor porches, and the room I saw had a nice storage space on the outside porch area.

October 22, 2014

We toured The Citadel and we were very impressed. The staff was very amicable and very friendly. They gave me the right information that I needed. We went ahead and took a tour of the independent living. We talked about it, and the staff was very nice and personal. I had a good feeling about it as far as atmosphere. They have a spa, and they transport the residents that need to go to doctor’s appointments. The independent living rooms can have a kitchen with a stove, microwave and refrigerator. They’ve got activities going on all the time. They have specific days every week where they can take people to go to a movie, to a restaurant or go shopping at places like Michael's, Walmart, and Target; so it’s really so nice. It’s a new facility and it’s very spacious. Overall I didn’t see anything negative at all; it was great. It is really close to where my mother is living now, and that’s where she does all of the shopping and hobnobbing around stores and groceries. Everything is right there so she’s familiar with that area.

July 31, 2014

By LovelyLady00000788

Citadel Assisted Living is cute, it is nice. The only thing I am not really pleased with is the food. My mother doesn't complain, so I get the sense that the staff is good. It has an elevator and everything. She has a nice one-bedroom. Right now, their price is right. They have activities, but she doesn't participate. They have a medical facility there.

May 30, 2014

Citadel Retirement meets my needs; that is why I chose them. It is not independent completely. It is somewhat/ halfway into assisted. My first impression of it was very good. The staff's work ethics are very good. I have a private apartment. It is very good. It fits my needs very well. Regarding food though, I don't have any outstanding comments about that.

Nursing Home Reviews for The Citadel Senior Living

April 03, 2018

By BooiseBill

I’m writing this review after I’ve had time to deal with the frustration and anger I have at the care my father received at Citadel Post Acute Care. My father had lost the use of his legs after a fall in his home and after a short stay at a local hospital we transferred him to Citadel to receive physical therapy. It was a nice place when my grandmother stayed there many years ago so it seemed only logical for my father, but as time went by we started to notice a difference. The staff seemed to lacked compassion for my father who depended on them for his nutrition, hygiene and hydration. He could never reach his water bottle, was rarely shaven or given the opportunity to brush his teeth. The container used to empty his catheter was normally left on the bathroom sink near his toiletries. When visiting it was quite common to find used medical gloves on the floor, his nurse alert button under the foot of his bed, dirty linen and clothing lying about. There were instances where we had to let staff know he defecated and needed to be cleaned. The smell permeating throughout his room making it quite obvious, but staff members normally claimed they could not smell it. My father was considered a fall risk and he was fitted with a fall alarm which was attached to the bed and his clothing. Like his alert button mentioned previously, it was just as common to find his fall alarm on the floor and disconnected. I got so tired of the excuse of being undermanned during the shift, and then observing staff comparing “selfies” at the nursing station and generally screwing around. My dad told us he could not feel his legs so the staff was told to reposition him when needed. Thinking back it amazes me that we, the family, had to tell trained staff to move him from time to time. The staff again failed to follow our wishes and basic patient care, because my Dad developed a bad bed sore. In the center of the facility there is a patio area for residence to enjoy some time outside. It was quite disturbing to see several homeless cats drinking from the residence water dispenser. I found it appalling to watch a dirty cat licking the same nozzle that residence would fill their cups from. There was always piles of cat food were in the parking lot to attract cats. I have to deal with the guilt I feel for leaving him in that facility for as long as we did. He did not progress in his therapy; in fact he is worse off today then when he was admitted. He in a much better place today and although he still can’t use his legs, he is clean, well fed and basically happy. I can only speak of the care my father received and the observations I made, I cannot speak for the other residence, but I have no reason to believe my father was singled out and treated differently.

February 10, 2018

By T.Graham

I am thoroughly disappointed in the care my father is currently receiving at this facility. The nurses and the CNAs don't seem to care. My father will have his nurse light on for 30 minutes and no one will even come to check to see what he needs. It seems that there are only a few people that actually work at this facility. They don't really pay attention to their patients needs either. My father will sit in a dirty depends for half a day without anyone changing it. He'll also ask for water and it'll take an hour for him to get fresh water with ice. I have to say for a facility that I was told got a 4 to 5 star ratings I can honestly say it is run like it's a one star motel. I am so disappointed.

January 13, 2017

By Colby grad

My wife was admitted to the Citadel after breaking her hip. The care was horrible: it took hours just to get a pitcher of water, pain meds were ALWAYS late, when she needed help getting to the toilet no one responded and she had to lie in her feces and urine for hours until "help" arrived. Her iPhone was stolen the first night. Patients were yelling, swearing and moaning. If you love someone DON'T send them here. I pulled my wife out after 2 nights. I wrote 2 letters of complaint and didn't even get the courtesy of a response. This is a disgraceful excuse for a care center!

August 27, 2015

Citadel Care Center was very well kept, and the staff did a fine job. Most of the work was done by the caregivers; however, there was always a nurse readily available when needed. The food was OK. Because my mother was pretty much in hospice the whole time she was there, we really didn't get involved in the activities, but there were quite a few. They had a day where all families were there. The overall atmosphere was good.

April 10, 2015

By pollyjcl

I was in the facility in April and may of 2014. I was there after a knee replacement. The care was very good but I agree there is not enough staff. It is an older facility and is not very bright not enough sunshine. I am going back to another facility where I have been before. They insist I go out and eat with the other patients and it has lots of sunlight.

March 29, 2015

By LillyMae

My husband was recently in Citadel Care Center for rehab. The physical therapy was excellent but it was for only an hour a day. Other times patients are left in wheelchairs. The nursing staff is not sufficient to handle patients. If an attendant is called it takes several minutes, if at all, to get help. This was not what we signed on for. I finally took him home where he is doing much better.

July 27, 2011

By jofruchey

Other

My sister in law was in this care center and I liked it so much that if or when I need a care giver/provider I would choose this one. She had Alzheimers Disease and could not have gotten any better care. My husband and I were always invited to get to gethers during the holidays. The night she died we were called by her nurse on the shift and we were told we should get there as she did not think my sister in law would make it through the night. the nurse even shed a tear and told us how they would miss her. She had been in a few other places in the Northern part of the state and they always stunk. We went to see her at Citadel every week and she was there for close to 4 years and not once did we get that smell. Was always extreamly clean. When sister first arrived she was able to go to the market or outings which she dearly loved.

June 19, 2011

By anonymous66

Citadel is a well kept, upscale facility. There are a variety of options available, from almost independent living to total care. While vising patients there I have seen them courteously treated by their attendants. Their rooms look and smell clean. For those capable of enjoying such things there are activities, crafts, and entertainment available. Residents can also elect to attend off campus activities with groups from the facility.

Costs for The Citadel Senior Living

• Nurse On Staff: 24 Hour Access To Licensed/Certified Staff

• Pets: All Pets Allowed

• State Licenses: AL6875

About The Citadel Senior Living

The Citadel is a senior living community in Mesa, AZ that provides the gamut of senior living options, from independent living apartments to nursing care. The community is designed to help seniors transition from independent living to assisted living with ease. On staff are registered nurses, licensed practical nurses and certified nursing assistants, and residents can receive a wide range of assistance and health services here. Residents are also encouraged to socialize and take care of their health and wellness, with a variety of organized activities.

DAILY CARE

Nurses provide care for the community’s assisted living residents and nursing care residents, depending on their needs. Many residents receive help with daily activities such as grooming, bathing and dressing. They also help manage residents’ medication schedules. Nurses are on call around the clock in the event of a medical emergency.

Filling prescriptions is convenient here at the community’s pharmacy. Physical therapy is also available on-site.

FACILITIES AND AMENITIES

Citadel Mesa offers spacious, wheelchair-accessible studio apartments, and one and two-bedroom residences. Amenities include cable TV, a pool, and laundry and housekeeping services. The community provides shuttle service to local sites and parking, plus an on-site barbershop and salon.

Many reviewers have praised the cuisine at Citadel Mesa and have compared the main dining room to a restaurant. The community has an array of dining rooms, with the main one located on the ground floor. Residents can also opt for room service. Other on-site amenities include a community library and a bank.

ACTIVITIES

Residents can stay fit at the community’s fitness center, or at an on-site putting green for those who prefer the outdoors. Residents also have the opportunity to take part in organized outings to nearby restaurants, shopping complexes and other local spots.

Citadel Mesa residents have lots of opportunities to socialize and learn with bridge, bingo and card games, and classes that teach cooking or arts. The facility assesses each resident to learn how they prefer to socialize. The community also hosts church services of various denominations.

Map of The Citadel Senior Living