Sunrise at Countryside Sterling, VA

Reviews of Sunrise at Countryside

Assisted Living Reviews for Sunrise at Countryside

October 09, 2019

By E.M.

We chose Sunrise at Countryside for my brother because they have a short program that covers all levels of care. So for the next additional respite, you'd have to pay for the additional money for the level of care, meaning you'd have to pay for the room. When I was visiting there it was very nice and everybody was very helpful, but I live in Charlotte, so I could only stay on for certain periods of time. When I went back to Charlotte it was very difficult to get return calls, and I couldn't find out what was going on. So I had mixed experiences with this community. The hardest part was that it was the nursing staff that wouldn't return any of my calls. And so from that perspective, and when we were trying to get my brother placed in another community and they required medical information, they wouldn't return any calls and my sister actually ended up driving from Western New York to Virginia because she wanted to help get things for my brother. It wasn't until she was physically there in that she was able to get any information. Overall, it's a nice community. It's clean, bright, it's relatively new, and they have a reasonably good activity program, but they're not very responsive if you're not in the building. Their dining area is pretty good and they have a large menu for lunch and dinner. They also have reasonable breakfast, and my brother thinks that the food is really good. The atmosphere and surroundings were very nice, the rooms were also very nice, and the place was clean. I would say that their service is above average, but because of the way they judge their levels of care, the long-term care is not necessarily a good value for your money.

September 19, 2018

By She01

We’re at at Sunrise at Countryside, and it’s been fine. They have cloth table cloths, cloth napkins on the table, they prepare three meals a day, and they have a snack in the afternoons and evenings. They have entertainment a few times a week, exercising, and they play Bridge. The amenities are a little bit scuffy, and I think the place needs to be redone; it’s about 30 years old. It needs new furniture, carpeting, and painting. Other than that, it has a nice outdoor space.

December 29, 2017

By Teresa

I liked Sunrise at Countryside a lot. The people and the staff were fantastic. The environment was very warm and caring. It would make a great assisted living. It's not meant for dementia, though. Their apartments were very spacious, clean, and had a lot of natural light. The facility was absolutely clean and well maintained. They had a nice full calendar of activities, which was very diverse. It's terribly expensive.

July 17, 2017

By Kathy

Mom is at Sunrise, the grounds are very pretty, it's right across the mall, and has easy access to everything. It's very close to me. The staff is very good, they care, and she's happy. The rooms are very comfortable, lovely, and comfortable. They do a lot of activities, and they drive her to church. However, the food is horrible, it has too many carbs, and that would need improvement.

November 06, 2016

By Carla115164

Sunrise is a very active community. They do bingo, exercise, swimming, social hour, and bus trips. I’m very impressed with the staff; they’ve worked there a good long time, and they’re very caring people. I think they’re very good in what they do. They keep them very busy, and they feed her well.

November 01, 2016

By Lee K.

My mother has moved to Sunrise at Countryside a month ago, and it’s a very charming small intimate facility with an extremely caring and friendly staff. The rooms were very nice, and you are allowed to bring your own furniture and pictures. It’s kept up very well. They have movies and exercise classes, and they have absolutely everything you can think of. Popcorn in the afternoons and cookies, and you can be very socialized, if you wish.

December 29, 2015

By RogerS

The people who work at Sunrise at Countryside are what make this place special. I feel like my Mom gets the best possible care and she likes being there much more than the previous facility she was in.

June 29, 2015

By Amanda16

The other one that we visited was Sunrise. It was definitely a newer facility. It was very nice, bright, and open. The staff who assisted us was excellent. She took a lot of time with my mother who had a lot of questions because she was not very familiar with how these kinds of facilities operated, and she did a lot of explaining for her. The rooms were very spacious. They were much larger than I was expecting. The independent living apartments in particular, you wouldn't even know you were in a senior living community until you looked around at the people around you. The dining area seemed very nice. It had a nice set up. It also had a lot of veranda sitting all around their dining area, which was nice. They had a reading room with papers. They had a really nice library set-up for the residents to utilize. They had afternoon social hour, and some of the residents were out for their afternoon trips. I liked a lot of the safety features. They put bars on their walls. They seemed to have a very good emergency call system in place around the apartments.

October 04, 2014

We know about Sunrise because it is very close to our house. We liked it because of the fact that it was very kind, very friendly. It is like an institution that feels very personal. The staff seemed very good, kind, and personable. The room is not spacious, but it is appropriate for her needs.

June 26, 2014

Sunrise is OK. But it's in dire need of upgrading. It's very expensive, and it's not worth it. That's really the bottom line. The caregivers are wonderful. They take very good care of my mom. I have no complaints. But the facility is in need of help, and it's extremely expensive. Everything is a la carte. It's ridiculous. The food is OK. It's not great, but it's not terrible. They need to improve the building. The windows don't close; they need new windows, and in some places new carpeting. The little kitchenette and kitchen are 22 or 24 years old, and they're pretty beat up at this point.

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We take your comments very seriously and we will address with the team. If you are interested in sharing further details with us please email information@sunriseseniorliving.com with your contact information. Thanks again, The Sunrise Team.

December 13, 2013

I did not like the rooms in the assisted living of Sunrise at Countryside. They were just too small. The place is very clean. It had more of a hotel feeling in it. It was more upper scale. The staff seemed friendly. As far as activities, they seemed to have them to keep the residents busy.

December 13, 2013

By Mary75011450

The only reason that I thought that Sunrise was pretty good is just out of the convenience of it. It's a much smaller community but as Mom's needs change and the thought that she might need additional help, the assisted living would be easy for her to migrate to. She would be able to stay within that community. It's just a separate building so one building is independent and the other is assisted living. The transition would be fairly easy because she would already be in that general location. It's only like a couple of miles from where I live which is a huge plus. It is an older community though and that was kind of a negative. It's probably over 20 years old and it's been there ever since I moved here in the area. It was very well kept and it's a much smaller community. There are probably only 50 or so independent living residents and the dining room is much smaller. The apartment was a little smaller but her world's getting smaller, anyway. They have transportation, that's a plus. They also have some activities although I got a sense that it was like a homey atmosphere which is nice. There was a room where they do some calisthenics but there was no actual exercise equipment.

November 23, 2013

I thought Sunrise at Countryside was really nice. It was nice, clean and airy. The staff there was really nice and friendly. However, their residents were very different from the other facility in that they didn't seem to speak to you, and this facility was more of an institution, but everything else seemed to be great.

June 13, 2013

By Cindy23

I had visited Sunrise for my mom. Their facility was excellent. It was beautiful. The apartments that we looked at were very beautiful. They had nice amenities too. The staff were also very helpful and nice. I had tried to get her in there, but at that time, she refused to go.

May 31, 2012

By wim1

When you arrive, the grounds of the facility is maintained with trimmed shrubs, beautiful flowers, and a clean parking lot. Upon entering the facility, the staff would always greet us and the interior was well-kept with a spiral staircase to lead upstairs. Residents also had the option of using the elevator. Laundry services are provided and many activities to stay busy. Some of the activities included fitness, social activities such as playing board games, group trips and clubs of interest. The families are also encouraged to remain active participants in the emotional care of residential family members by being offered both educational classes and activities. The staff was very attentive to the residents by providing doctor visits, menu choices and providing spiritual activities. Sunrise Living Facility is a wonderful choice in the aspect that it provides assistance for its residents while still allowing them to maintain their freedom and independence.

Independent Living Reviews for Sunrise at Countryside

July 03, 2019

By Barbara

We visited Sunrise at Countryside. It was very nice, but the floor space of the apartment seemed very small for us. The lady who interviewed us was able to tell us a lot. The apartment was nice, but the biggest she could show us was 800 square feet, and we would have to get rid of a lot of things we had. If I had to go someplace, I think I could live there comfortably. There were people doing puzzles, doing laundry, and the meals are all included in the monthly fee. It seemed like a comfortable, friendly, and nice place. They had a physical therapist that we talked to, and she was quite good. The amenities seemed fine, there was nothing wrong with Sunrise at Countryside, and I think one could be happy there, but it was not appropriate for us at this time.

July 02, 2019

By JL

I'm very happy here at Sunrise at Countryside. The accommodations are great. The staff is excellent. They have meals, housecleaning, art classes, book club, trips to the grocery store, and exercise classes.

Costs for Sunrise at Countryside