17 Assisted Living Facilities near Ashburn, VA
With an average cost of $5,900 in Ashburn, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 4 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 2 facilities in Ashburn.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Ashburn, VA
15 Assisted Living Facilities near Ashburn, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Ashburn
Ashburn is a suburb of Washington, D.C. It was originally called “Farmwell” or “Farmwell Station.” According to local legend, it got its current name when a lightning bolt hit an ash tree. The most recent census revealed that over 43,000 people live here, and only 10.2% of them are seniors. If these seniors need assistance with activities of daily living, they can turn to any of the 17 assisted living facilities located in and around Ashburn.
The Virginia Department of Social Services licenses these facilities, along with facilities throughout the state. In Virginia, assisted living facilities are defined as residential settings that provide 24-hour care and supervision to four or more adults.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Ashburn
- Ashburn seniors have many public transit options. Loudoun County Transit provides a fixed-route bus service that connects Ashburn with other nearby communities, such as Leesburg, Reston and Washington, D.C. The Paratransit bus service provides curb-to-curb services for people with disabilities. Virginia Regional Transit also operates a curb-to-curb bus service.
- The Ashburn area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Inova HealthPlex-Ashburn, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Recently, the American Lung Association (ALA) ranked the Washington-Baltimore-Arlington metropolitan area among the 25 most ozone-polluted cities in America. The ALA warns that ozone is one of the most dangerous pollutants, especially for seniors and people with lung diseases.
- Seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors may want to visit some of the city’s many parks. Bles Park, which sits on 124 acres, provides opportunities for hiking and fishing. An ADA accessible trail is available at Trailside Park. In nearby Washington, D.C., there are many more opportunities for fun, including attractions, monuments and museums.
- Retirees in Ashburn may appreciate the state’s tax breaks. Social Security benefits aren’t taxed, and many types of retirement income, including employer retirement plans, qualify for an age deduction of up to $12,000 per person. In addition, the state has a low sales tax (5.3%) which can help seniors save even more money.
- Virginia has a high cost of living, so it’s no surprise that Ashburn is 68.3% more expensive than the national average. The city’s housing is nearly three times the cost of the U.S. norm, while transportation is 48.8% more expensive.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Ashburn
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Ashburn start around $5,900 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Ashburn and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Ashburn
Virginia provides financial assistance to qualified low-income seniors through Auxiliary Grants. These grants provide monthly funding that seniors use to pay for assisted living services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Ashburn
Ashburn and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Ashburn, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Ashburn
Ashburn-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Ashburn, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Ashburn
Review of Tribute at One Loudoun
Tribute at One Loudoun was very nice. This was where we would have gone for my brother's long-term care, and he would have gotten the most value for his stay. It's brand new, extremely clean, they ... Read more
Review of Tribute at One Loudoun
My mother is in Tribute at One Loudoun. She doesn't like the food at all, and they need to increase the staff to patient ratio. It's a beautiful place, they're responsive, and they're trying, but t... Read more
Review of Waltonwood at Ashburn
My father is now at Waltonwood at Ashburn. The experience is good. Everything is good. The apartment is very adequate and it is very good. They have everything for activities, like movies, crafts, ... Read more