43 Assisted Living Facilities near Fairfax, VA
With an average cost of $5,344 in Fairfax, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 40 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 5 facilities in Fairfax.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Fairfax, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Fairfax
Fairfax, like much of the rest of Virginia, is deeply rooted in American history. It was an important location during the Civil War and is now home to many history-related attractions such as the National Firearms Museum. Seniors who enjoy learning about our nation's past may enjoy living in Fairfax. Those who are in need of help with activities of daily living, personal care and medication management have 57 assisted living facilities to choose from in and around Fairfax. Six of these facilities are located in Fairfax itself, with the other 51 located nearby. They are all regulated by Virginia's Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Fairfax
- The cost of living in Fairfax is 38 percent higher than the Virginia average and nearly 50 percent higher than nation's average. This may mean that goods and services are more expensive here, and seniors may find living less affordable than in other cities.
- Seniors may find Fairfax to be an extremely safe town. The crime rate is 68 percent lower than the national average, with residents having only a one in 115 chance of being involved in any kind of crime.
- The Fairfax area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Inova Fairfax Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The weather in Fairfax is warmer than one might expect. Highs in the fall and winter months remain in the 50 degree range, while summer months may see highs in the low 90s. Each month sees an average of 2 to 5 inches of rain.
- The air quality in Fairfax is 1 percent better than the national average, and the pollution index is a whopping 92 percent better. This means that seniors with respiratory conditions may find the air in Fairfax to be ideal.
- Seniors in Fairfax can find transportation options such as taxis, buses and door-to-door ride services via the Fairfax Department of Family Services.
Paying for Assisted Living in Fairfax
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Fairfax start around $5,392 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Fairfax and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Fairfax
Eligible seniors over the age of 65 may file an application for financial assistance for assisted living in Fairfax and the rest of Virginia via the Commonwealth Coordinated Care Plus Medicaid Waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Fairfax
Fairfax and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Fairfax, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Fairfax
Fairfax-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Fairfax, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Fairfax
Review of Sunrise of George Mason
My husband and I visited several assisted living communities in the Fairfax VA area before choosing Sunrise at George Mason. We were impressed with the marketing manager's excellent, timely commun... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Fair Oaks VA
My mom and dad have moved into Sunrise of Fair Oaks. We chose them because it was a good match. It has been good so far. My parents need assistance with daily living and it is close to our house, s... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Fair Oaks VA
I love Sunrise of Fair Oaks. It's newer and bigger than where my in-laws are, and they have lots of little nooks and crannies. There are three rooms right off the lobby, not counting the dining roo... Read more