23 Assisted Living Facilities near Sterling, VA
Also serving communities of Potomac Falls.
There are 23 Assisted Living Facilities in the Sterling area, with 3 in Sterling and 20 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Sterling is $3,472 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 135 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Sterling. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Sterling 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Herndon with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Sterling find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Sterling, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Sterling, VA
20 Assisted Living Facilities near Sterling, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Sterling
Sterling, Virginia, located along the Potomac River and home to the National Weather Service Forecast Office, has a small senior population of 1,995, some of whom may enjoy visiting the Heritage Farm Museum or stopping for a picnic lunch while walking the trails or fishing at Claude Moore Park.
Seniors in Sterling who need help with personal care and the aspects of daily living will find three assisted living facilities located within city limits or the 20 additional facilities located in nearby neighborhoods, such as Leesburg, Potomac and Reston. The Virginia Department of Social Services governs these facilities in Sterling and throughout the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Sterling
- Sterling has a violent crime rate of 17.4, five points lower than the national average of 22.7, and a property crime rate of 36.8, one point higher than the national average of 35.4. Seniors may want to ask prospective facility staff about measures they take to ensure resident safety.
- Virginia does not tax Social Security benefits; however, pensions and retirement savings account withdrawals are partially taxed. Seniors in Sterling may find that they have more money left over at tax time to put toward their living expenses.
- The Sterling area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Swisscom Hospitality Services North, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The cost of living in Sterling is high, even by Virginia’s standards. The city’s cost of living is 147.3, higher than both the state average of 113.8 and the national average of 100. Although healthcare expenses are lower than both the state and national averages, seniors can expect to pay more for groceries and transportation here than they would in other parts of the state or nation. Seniors with chronic health conditions may appreciate the lower healthcare costs in the area.
- Seniors with COPD or asthma may find that they prefer living in other areas of the state. Sterling has an air quality rating of 42, approximately 16 points lower than the U.S. average of 58, which could contribute to the worsening of certain health conditions.
Sterling’s temperatures range from 24 to 86 degrees throughout the year, which could make the area more attractive for seniors who dislike extreme heat in the summer and extreme cold during the winter months. When visiting prospective facilities, seniors may still want to ensure that rooms have individualized climate controls.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Sterling
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Sterling start around $3,472 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Sterling and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Sterling
Virginia does not have any Medicaid programs that cover the costs of assisted living. However, Sterling seniors who qualify for SSI may be able to get help with their expenses through the Auxiliary Grant Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Sterling
Sterling and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Sterling, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Sterling
Sterling-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Sterling, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Sterling
Review of Sunrise at Countryside
We chose Sunrise at Countryside for my brother because they have a short program that covers all levels of care. So for the next additional respite, you'd have to pay for the additional money for t... Read more
Review of Atria Sterling
We weren't impressed with Atria Sterling. It didn't appear very clean or well kept. It was a little high cost for what you get. Read more
Review of Sunrise at Countryside
Were at at Sunrise at Countryside, and its been fine. They have cloth table cloths, cloth napkins on the table, they prepare three meals a day, and they have a snack in the afternoons and evening... Read more