31 Assisted Living Facilities near Herndon, VA
There are 31 Assisted Living Facilities in the Herndon area, with 3 in Herndon and 28 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Herndon is $5,367 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Reston with an average starting cost of $5,271.
To help you with your search, browse the 159 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Herndon. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Herndon 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Ashburn with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Herndon, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Herndon, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Herndon
Herndon, Virginia, is steeped in history and was part of the original parcel of land granted to Thomas Culpeper from King Charles II in 1688. Located just 22 miles from Washington D.C., Seniors can explore the nation's capitol just a short distance away and have their pick from 59 Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs), three within Herndon, and an additional 56 nearby. ALFs in the state of Virginia are defined as residences that care for four or more seniors and provide 24-hour supervision and support. These facilities offer dignified personal and health care services like medication management and assistance with daily living. The regulations for these facilities are governed by the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Herndon
- Herndon has a four-season climate. Seniors can get active in the mild summers that have an average high temperature of 87 degrees. Winters are chilly with an average low temperature of 24 degrees, and 22 inches of annual snowfall, so seniors with limited mobility may have difficulties getting around.
- The Herndon area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Reston Hospital Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Herndon’s crime rates are quite low compared to the U.S. average. Violent crime is rated at 15.3 out of 100 (1 being the safest), compared to the national average of 31.1. Property crime is rated at 26.3, which is lower than the national average of 38.1. Seniors can feel secure living in this area.
- Seniors with asthma or a respiratory illness may be adversely affected in Fairfax County. While the Particle Pollution 24-hour score was given a B grade from the American Lung Association, this area was given a poor Ozone rating of F.
- Seniors on a budget living in Herndon may have difficulties building a savings due to the cost of living. Herndon’s cost of living is rated at 65.20 percent higher than the national average.
- The Fairfax County Department of Transportation offers several transportation options for seniors. Those with limited mobility or wheelchairs can take advantage of buses lifts, dial-a-ride services and travel training. Seniors and those with disabilities are eligible for reduced fare.
Paying for Assisted Living in Herndon
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Herndon start around $5,367 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Herndon and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Herndon
Seniors living in Virginia who are seeking help covering assisted living costs may be eligible for Virginia’s Medicaid Assisted Living Waiver. Virginia also offers a non-Medicaid plan, the Auxiliary Grant program for low-income seniors.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Herndon
Herndon and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Herndon, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Herndon
Herndon-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Herndon, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Herndon
Review of Harmony at Chantilly
Harmony at Chantilly was very, very nice. The staff was very nice, very accommodating, very helpful, and absolutely friendly. The rooms were very nice. The place was very clean, very pleasant, very... Read more
Review of Harmony at Chantilly
The apartments we saw at Harmony at Chantilly were nice and were larger than most other assisted living apartments. They have exercise classes, yoga, trips to the mall, trips to the doctor and they... Read more
Review of Harmony at Chantilly
Harmony at Chantilly had nice rooms. The 1-bedroom had a nice sitting area, a nice kitchen, and a nice balcony. The staff was awesome, made a lot of follow-up, and answered any questions we had. Th... Read more