Cathedral Village

Offers Independent Living, Nursing Homes, Home Care, Continuing Care Communities, and Memory Care

600 East Cathedral Road, Philadelphia, PA 19128
Cathedral Village (800) 385-2527

Reviews of Cathedral Village

Nursing Home Reviews for Cathedral Village

Continuing Care Retirement Community Reviews for Cathedral Village

August 20, 2015

By eg215

The sole reason I am writing this review is to warn other families considering Cathedral Village as a place for their loved ones about our negative experience. My mother was a patient in the Short-term "Skilled Nursing" wing of Cathedral Village this Spring. She was in need of a place to recover from major surgery, and after asking all of our friends and family in the area for their suggestions (and then of course finding which had availability), we settled on Cathedral Village. I learned from many people that while Cathedral Village had a good reputation in the past, that it had gone private fairly recently and some had heard about problems since then. The source of the problems (and in my case as primary caregiver, extreme stress and upset) was two-fold. First, the nursing care is extremely un-even. The first night of my mom's arrival, she had a nurse who not only had limited English language skills, but also knew shockingly little about basic diabetes care. For my mom, a Type 1 diabetic, to have a nurse who did not even grasp the basics of blood sugar monitoring was absolutely terrifying. That brings me to our second problem. When I brought this issue of shocking incompetence to the attention of THREE administrators, each one gave me lip service about how sorry and concerned they were, promised look into the issue, to remove this particular nurse from my mom's care, and yet as I later found out, did absolutely nothing. Several days later, I was leaving my mom's room after dinner time and the next nurse arriving for her shift was - surprise - the same one who we complained loudly about, who jeopardized my mom's care. I still do not know if the administrators we spoke to simply didn't care enough to remember to address the problem, or if they thought we were too stupid to notice this nurse on my mom's care again. When I followed up with yet another round of phone calls, they blamed each other. Either way, they left the impression of a facility that cares little about its patients and is entirely disrespectful of their concerns. The "recovery" period at Cathedral Village was cut short because of these issues - we demanded her discharge the next day. The only reason I am giving a two star rather than one star review is because we did encounter two good nurses on staff. In fact, those two nurses were far better clinicians, kinder, and more responsive than their Nurse Supervisors - not to mention the Social Worker and head of the facility. The entire experience left me, as the caregiver, feeling overwhelmingly helpless - how can you ensure your loved one is getting even basic, decent nursing care in a situation like this? I have since told everyone we know in the area - friends, family, co-workers - about our experience, as well as spoken with the Pennsylvania Ombudsman for Aging - who said she could have stepped in to help us if I had called while my mom was still a patient at Cathedral Village. I wish I had known that during that awful week. The Ombudsman also confirmed that she has received negative feedback about Cathedral Village since its privatization. Why look out for your patients and their families when you're looking out for your bottom line?

May 28, 2015

Experience was really good at Cathedral Village. I felt the place and overall staff were excellent. The dining facility was the best I have ever seen, and I have eaten there. They have arts and crafts and a wonderful library. The rooms and apartments were very nice, but they are older and their ceilings are low. I would also like to see their marketing staff be more honest instead of just trying to sell.

May 26, 2015

By Linda107614150

I like Cathedral Village. It had an urban vibe, and the people there had very urban associated careers; I like that. They are also very interesting people. They have a greenhouse, and they are also involved in the farm to table program, so they grow food that they eat there. They have a lot of activities planned for the residents, and they have a big campus where the residents can walk around. Their staff is friendly and know the residents by name.

December 02, 2014

We visited some my father's friends at Cathedral Village, and we had dinner with them. It was excellent. It was kind of an upscale restaurant. The food was good, and you had menu and a choice. I remember the waiters and the waitresses were very professionally dressed.

July 30, 2013

By BoSox

My mom visited this community & loved it for herself. She had her heart set on it, with a move imminent. The booklet gave monthly prices & we were sure she could afford it & would be accepted. They courted her. THEN she applied. It was THEN that they told her she needed to have enough money in the bank for the rent of the number of years they figured on her life expectancy PLUS what they determined would be her rough addl expenditures, PLUS $130,00 per year for the last two years of her life, an additional $260,000. They presumed she would need skilled nursing for 2 years & required that money in the bank before they would accept her. The place may be very nice to live in, but the lack of this up-front financial disclosure (telling us only what her monthly rent would be for each size unit, and the cost of the meal plan) is borderline unethical. So as a warning to anybody considering Cathedral Village, do your homework before you get your heart set on it.

July 12, 2013

Cathedral Village was a beautiful place. It was also close by. I went there maybe four times and it wasn't until the fourth time that I was there that they started talking about the price. I found out that you have to have enough money over time to be able to stay there. I thought they were wasting my time because they didn't tell me this in the beginning, say my second or third time that I visited their place.

December 25, 2012

By S.Haury

The village is very home-like. Residents have their own furnishings and privacy is respected. Meals are served either communally or in rooms, I often assisted residents in filling out their daily menus. They have daily activities such as movies, Senoir Olympic participation and excellent social activities. Medical care is available and the nurses were attentive although frequently at the nurses station. There are various levels of care at the facility and holiday activities and events open to the entire community. The staff of social activities seemed energetic and enthusiastic. Nurses were adequate in number and treated the patients with care and kindness. Sanitary conditions were excellent, the facility did not smell of urine or the typical old folks home cliche odor. Meals were small portioned and bland, but a kitchen was available for those who desired to prepare their own meals and in the units for the less able-bodied, meals were standard and bland. Parking was ample and handicapped spaces were available. It was a family-friendly and well-lighted open environment and the campus allowed for outdoor exercise and walking about the well-manicured property. It is much nicer than a stereotypical assisted-living center and provided what seemed to be excellent care.

December 08, 2012

By Protecting dementia patients

Before you take a loved one to Cathedral Village, please check out this news release from the Justice Dept. http://www.justice.gov/usao/pae/News/2012/Nov/cathedralvillage_release.htm

September 11, 2011

By RetGrandad

I have been a resident at Cathedral Village for the past five years and am glad that I made the move. Being in my seventies when I moved in, the home that I had lived in for almost forty years became too large for me to handle. It was a chore to keep the house functioning and my wife and I made the decision to downsize. Cathedral Village offers us the ability to live independently while still providing a safety net that we need. It is great not to have to worry about things breaking in the apartment, having to cut the grass or best of all not to have to shovel the snow. I was even surprised to find out that the facility cleaned the snow off of my car for me when it snowed. All of the things that I was struggling to keep up with in my home are now easy to get done. I also have use of all of the facilities that I used to have to have a gym membership for. I am thoroughly enjoying the decision that I made with my wife to move to this location.
See all Continuing Care Retirement Community reviews (15) See fewer reviews

Services and Amenities of Cathedral Village

• Overall:
  • Ownership Type: Non Profit Corporation
  • Date Certified: 10/01/2020

About Cathedral Village

Cathedral Village is a senior living provider in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania that offers residents Independent Living, Nursing Homes, Home Care, Continuing Care Communities, and Memory Care. Contact Cathedral Village for more details on services and rates.

Map of Cathedral Village