Situated alongside the Hudson River, Poughkeepsie is the largest city in Dutchess County and an appealing retirement option for many older adults. Hudson Valley Magazine rated Poughkeepsie as one of the region’s best places to live due to its charming historic neighborhoods, thriving sense of community and home prices that are lower than average for the area. Poughkeepsie is close to several full-service hospitals, including Vassar Brothers Medical Center, which was rated as high performing in eight procedures and conditions by U.S. News & World Report.

Nursing home care includes 24-hour supervision and skilled nursing services, plus a high level of help with activities of daily living and personal care. The average monthly rate charged by nursing homes in Poughkeepsie is $13,748, according to Genworth’s 2020 Cost of Care Survey. This is much higher than the national average of $7,756, so Poughkeepsie residents who can still maintain some level of independence might consider home care or assisted living instead.

This guide provides cost comparisons of nursing home care in Poughkeepsie with nearby cities and other kinds of senior care, as well as free programs, services and resources available to seniors in the Dutchess County area.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Poughkeepsie, NY

The Pines at Poughkeepsie Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation

100 Franklin St, Poughkeepsie, NY, 12601

I was sent there for pt after a back injury .Vassar seemed to push the place although it wasnt one of my choices.I needed help so i gave it a chance first night was awfull they were not honest about t … (read more)

Lutheran Care Center at Concord Village

965 Dutchess Turnpike, Poughkeepsie, NY, 12603

My dad was in Lutheran Care Center at Concord Village out in Poughkeepsie. They took care of my dad for the last two years of his life and they were wonderful with him. He had hospice care and he pass … (read more)

Woodland Pond at New Paltz

100 Woodland Pond Circle, New Paltz, NY, 12561

I was a patient at Woodland Pond at New Paltz at one time, and I have a lot of friends there, so I go there quite often. I know a lot about that particular facility, and I’m particularly interested in … (read more)

Victory Lake Nursing Center

419 North Quaker Lane, Hyde Park, NY, 12538

Thank you to Quaker Hill Manor (AKA Victory Lake) staff for the wonderful care I received while I was a resident for 17 months. When I first arrived I was worried about being around resident’s who we … (read more)

The Mountain View Nursing and Rehab Centre

1 Jansen Rd, New Paltz, NY, 12561

I Really Appreciate All The Staff at Mountain View Nursing & Rehab they were all great to my love one.

Wingate at Dutchess

3 SUMMIT COURT, Fishkill, NY, 12524

My Mother is at the facility in FIshkill now. It’s very clean. The food is horrible. i find it ridiculous that there is not a direct telephone # to the nurses station on the rehab floors ,24/7 … (read more)

Wingate at Beacon

10 Hastings Drive, Beacon, NY, 12508

Food is terrible never warn eggs 7 days a week said I don’t want them so I got a slice of toast 4days in a row but they did give me butter

Renaissance Nursing and Rehabilitation

4975 Albany Post Road, Staatsburg, NY, 12580

My father stayed in a place that we got him out of and I wouldn’t put my dog in. It was called the Renaissance Nursing and Rehabilitation out in Hyde Park, Staatsburg area. They were awful and I woul … (read more)

Hudson Valley Rehab and Ext Ca

260 Vineyard Ave, Highland, NY, 12528

It was a very difficult decision to have to place my brother in a long term care facility. As a family we are blessed to have our brother in The Hudson Valley Rehabilitation and Long Term care Nursing … (read more)

Wingate at Ulster

ONE WINGATE WAY, Highland, NY, 12528

I believe that I have reasonable expectations for the quality of care at a nursing home especially for a short term stay. Unfortunately for my Mother, Wingate did not live up to even the most minimum … (read more)

Elant at Fishkill

22 ROBERT R. KASIN WAY, Beacon, NY, 12508

Thank goodness I got my mother out of this place after 2 days. She was alone at the end of a long dark hallway in a filthy room. Horribly understaffed & the smell of urine was potent even thru my … (read more)

Sapphire Nursing at Wappingers Falls

37 S Mesier Ave, Wappingers Falls, NY, 12590

Yesterday we were told my grandmother needed to be transferred to Hospice and had less than a month to live. We were asked at the hospital to chose 5 of our top choices for Hospice. Unsure and unresea … (read more)

Hudson Valley Rehab And Ext Care Facility

260 Vineyard Ave, Rt 44/55, Highland, NY, 12528

Nursing Home Costs in Poughkeepsie, NY

In Poughkeepsie, the monthly price of a semiprivate nursing home room averages $13,748. For a private room, seniors pay $14,228 per month.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

At a monthly average of $13,748, nursing home care in Poughkeepsie is far costlier than the national average of $7,756 and $1,429 higher than New York’s statewide average of $12,319. To the south in New York City, the average is $11,771 per month, or almost $2,000 less. In Kingston, the rate soars to $14,797, making this city one of the costliest in the state for nursing home care. The average in Glens Falls is also high at $14,068. In Albany, seniors pay $12,973, or $775 less than those in Poughkeepsie.

$13748

Glens Falls

$12973

Albany

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Poughkeepsie residents who don’t need a nursing home level of care may consider other options. Seniors can expect to pay $4,957 for home care or home health care, which also includes limited medical services. Adult day health care costs are unavailable for Poughkeepsie, but the statewide average is just $1,945 per month, and this is generally the most affordable care choice. Assisted living costs an average of $5,154. Nursing homes have the highest rates, at $13,748 for a semiprivate room and $14,228 for a private one.

$4957

Adult day health care

$5154

Assisted living

$13748

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$14228

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Poughkeepsie, NY

Free Resources for Seniors in Poughkeepsie, NY

These resources, programs and services provide free information and assistance for seniors throughout Dutchess County. Seniors may be able to receive financial assistance, long-term care counseling and in-home services that prevent nursing home placement or delay it for as long as possible.

Resource

Contact

Service

The Dutchess County Office for the Aging coordinates and provides community-based services for seniors who need long-term care. Its website has information about choosing a nursing home or other care facility, health insurance counseling, home energy programs and transportation options for disabled seniors in the Hudson Valley area. Free legal aid is available to help residents with estate planning, wills and other civil law concerns.

EISEP is a state-funded program that provides nonmedical services for seniors who wish to remain in their own home. Services include personal care and help with housekeeping, cooking, shopping and other activities of daily living. Services may be free or low-cost depending on the recipient's income. Seniors must be at least 60 years old and ineligible for Medicaid to qualify.

CDPAP provides in-home skilled nursing services and personal care for seniors who are physically disabled or chronically ill. The program is open to Medicaid recipients and gives seniors funds to hire and manage caregivers of their own choosing.

This nonprofit, volunteer-led organization delivers hot and healthy meals to seniors who can't cook for themselves. Low-sodium and low-sugar options are offered for those with diabetes, heart disease or other conditions requiring dietary restrictions. Seniors can get up to two meals delivered per day, with each meal including a main course, bread, beverage and dessert.

Poughkeepsie's ombudsman provides advocacy and mediation services for long-term care residents and their loved ones. The ombudsman addresses and helps resolve elder neglect, disputes with staff, inadequate care and other issues with nursing facilities. Poughkeepsie residents can also contact their local ombudsman to learn about facility quality and get unbiased advice in choosing the best community for their needs.