19 Assisted Living Facilities near Highland, NY
Also serving communities of Modena.
There are 19 Assisted Living Facilities in the Highland area, with 2 in Highland and 17 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 66 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Highland. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Highland 3.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Poughkeepsie with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Highland, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Highland, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Highland
Highland, New York, is an unincorporated hamlet within the town of Lloyd in Ulster County. Seniors who like the great outdoors may enjoy the town's many trails. Residents and visitors can cross the Walkway Over the Hudson, a footbridge that spans the river that separates Highland and Poughkeepsie, or walk and bike along the Hudson Valley Rail Trail, which follows an old railway path.
There are two assisted living facilities within Highland and a few more in nearby Poughkeepsie, just across the walkway. All communities within the area are regulated by the New York State Department of Health and fall under the general umbrella of adult care facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Highland
- The cost of living in Highland is only slightly lower than the national average. The greatest benefit to seniors living in the town is the cost of housing. Housing is a good 20 percent lower than national average. This helps keep assisted living facility costs lower.
- Highland does see some crime. On a scale from 1 for low crime to 100 for high crime, Highland has a violent crime rate of 48 and a property crime rate of 45. These numbers are both higher than the national average. This could pose problems for seniors.
- The town of Highland experiences all four seasons during the year. Summer highs reach an average of 83 degrees while winter lows reach an average of 17 degrees. Both hot and cold temperatures can affect senior health. The area also gets an average of 48 inches of snow a year, which can affect travel during an emergency.
- Ulster County Area Transit offers free trips to seniors for shopping or medical needs. All residents over 60 years old can have a free round-trip shopping trip once a week. Seniors can take trips for medical reasons twice a week for free. There is also a medical van provided through the Office of Aging for anyone with disabilities.
- Social Security checks are not taxed in New York State. Seniors can keep the entire amount for expenses.
- The Highland, New York, area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness. However, there is the MidHudson Regional Hospital in Poughkeepsie just across the Hudson and is only 4 miles from Highland city center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Highland
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Highland start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Highland and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Highland
New York State helps seniors pay for assisted living facilities through the Assisted Living Program. This program is available for seniors with Medicaid or those paying out of pocket.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Highland
Highland and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Highland, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Highland
Highland-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Highland, NY
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Highland
Review of Valley Vista Senior Care
I went to see Valley Vista Senior Care a couple of years back when I was trying to get my mother in. They were warm, and they were friendly. It was clean. My mother didn't want to share a room, but... Read more
Review of Valley Vista Senior Care
Valley Vista Senior Care is pretty nice. I like the scenery, the area, and the outlook of the place. The buildings were kind of old and could have been more updated. The staff who assisted me was v... Read more
Review of Wingate at Ulster
I scheduled a visit with a family member and traveled far to visit. I was told at the front desk to "Go Around the Building" to find where I was suppose to meet. NO assistance with finding the p... Read more