One half of Minnesota’s Twin Cities, Minneapolis is the largest city in the state with an estimated 429,606 residents, approximately 42,960 of whom are seniors over the age of 65. The city’s older adults benefit from having access to 61% more physicians per capita than the United State’s average and an impressive healthcare network which includes a Mayo Clinic orthopedic hospital and the University of Minnesota Medical Center. Abbott Northwestern Hospital, which is nationally ranked in two adult specialties, is also located in the city.

After hospitals, nursing facilities offer the most extensive slate of healthcare services in the city. In addition to personal care and meals, nursing homes provide 24-hour supervision and specialized services such as diabetes monitoring, intravenous therapy and wound care. In Minneapolis, seniors pay an average of $11,285 a month for nursing home care, which is more than the state and national medians. Considering the financial expense, seniors may find it prudent to see if home health care or assisted living will adequately meet their needs.

This guide covers the costs of nursing home care in Minneapolis and lists a few resources seniors can use to pay for care and reduce their living expenses.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Minneapolis, MN

Providence Place

3720 23rd Ave S, Minneapolis, MN, 55407

I feel all the staff at Providence Care Facility are compassionate and loyal to serving the residents . The staff is competent and responsive to residents needs. The food and service is acceptable n … (read more)

Walker Methodist Health Center

3737 BRYANT AVENUE SOUTH, Minneapolis, MN, 55409

My father is in Walker Methodist Health Center, and it looks clean. They’re woefully understaffed and I have nothing against any immigrants coming here, but a lot of times the language barrier is ther … (read more)

Augustana Hcc Of Mpls

1007 East 14Th Street, Minneapolis, MN, 55404

The facility appeared to be in very good condition with shared spaces and units in good repair. Dining services appeared to be top of the line with numerous high quality choices. Residents seemed to b … (read more)

Bryant Square Apartments

715 WEST 31ST STREET, Minneapolis, MN, 55408

Conveniently nestled near several popular parks and cozy urban areas, Bryant Square Apartments is an excellent assisted living community in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Residents compliment the supportive, … (read more)

Jones-Harrison Residence

3700 Cedar Lake Avenue, Minneapolis, MN, 55416

I was a patient at Jones Harrison last March, after having a second Spinal Fusion. I had been there three years before, for the same reason and it was 5* in every area. This time I had a completely … (read more)

St Anthony Health Center

3700 Foss Road, Minneapolis, MN, 55421

My mom really likes St Anthony Health Center. I’ve seen the people who work there, and they’re very kind and very good to her. When she pushes her button, someone comes and answers shortly. She ha … (read more)

Catholic Eldercare on Main

817 Main Street NE , Minneapolis, MN, 55413

Catholic Eldercare on Main is a well-kept, clean, and professionally run facility. The staff is very good. The room my father is in right now has a TV. They provide a bed, a built-in closet, and a lou … (read more)

Redeemer Residence

625 WEST 31ST STREET, Minneapolis, MN, 55408

I have been very happy with the staff here. All staff seem to know all residents by name and almost always address them by name just in passing. And many of them will give me a quick update on someth … (read more)

Saint Theresa of New Hope

8000 Bass Lake Road, Minneapolis, MN, 55428

Tryed to get staff to help my parent. Nobody ever available. Facility in bad condition

Bethany Covenant Village

2309 Hayes Street Northeast , Minneapolis, MN, 55418

I liked Bethany Covenant Village although I didn’t see all of it. It seemed to be a clean place. It’s a nursing home with an assisted-living facility. The staff seemed very nice and pleasant.

Bywood East Health Care

3427 CENTRAL AVENUE NORTHEAST, Minneapolis, MN, 55418

The caring staff made all the difference for my mother for the years she was there. The food was good and the room comfortable, quiet, and kept clean. The housekeepers, nurses, aides, social worker, … (read more)

Elliot Care Home Inc

1500 Elliot Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN, 55404

I’ve visited this place and found it very good! The facility provides medical nursing service 24/7. They provide patient’s care from short term rehab and long term nursing and medical supervision. The … (read more)

Mount Olivet Home

5517 Lyndale Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN, 55419

The overall experience was very poor and I would not send a relative to this home. Mt. Oliver was extremely understaffed. Their staff did not know how to provide water or medication to my father w … (read more)

The Villa at St. Louis Park

7500 West 22nd Street, Minneapolis, MN, 55426

ROOM WAS AIRY AND BRIGHT; LIGHTING COULD BE IMPROVED. TEMPERATURE CONTROL WAS POOR. MOST STAFF WAS CORDIAL. SOME STAFF WAS BARELY JUST PUTTING IN TIME. SOME STAFF DID NOT HAVE COMMAND OF THE EN … (read more)

Edenbrook of Edina

6200 Xerxes Ave South, Minneapolis, MN, 55423

I contacted Edenbrook looking for somewhere for my wife. I spoke to a Melanie first who was very kind and talked to me. She told me about the place and explained that my wife may need more care than … (read more)

Camden Care Center

512 49TH AVENUE NORTH, Minneapolis, MN, 55430

I visited this facility and it smells like urine, the residents were unkempt and the staff didn’t appear to care or take pride in their jobs. I was appalled of the facility conditions and very upset w … (read more)

Golden Livingcenter – Chateau

2106 SECOND AVENUE SOUTH, Minneapolis, MN, 55404

This place needs to be shut down. Nursing staff do not seem know care plan and a resident will sit all day in a chair without staff moving them. Under the direction of the DON. She has no clue of what … (read more)

Ebenezer Care Center

2545 Portland Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN, 55404

When my family first visited we were given a tour of certain floors, certain residential rooms, and activity areas. We all agreed that it was a good safe place for grandma. However after she was excep … (read more)

Bryn Mawr Health Care Center

275 PENN AVENUE NORTH, Minneapolis, MN, 55405

I had the opportunity to visit this facility many times during the years my sister lived there. In the beginning it was like family. The staff was amazing and they cared deeply for my sister and the o … (read more)

Benedictine Health Center of Minneapolis

618 EAST 17TH STREET, Minneapolis, MN, 55404

Benedictine Innsbruck repeatedly demanded payment for my mother’s room fee while not assisting in billing her insurance company. And their recommendation for my mom’s discharge date seems to have been … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Minneapolis, Minnesota

The median cost for nursing home care in Minneapolis is $11,285 with a semiprivate room and $12,167 with a private room.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

The monthly cost of nursing home care in Minneapolis is $259 more than the statewide median and $3,529 above the national figure. Out of the Minnesota cities surveyed by Genworth, Minneapolis sits in the middle of the cost range, with Rochester and St. Cloud representing the highest and lowest rates, respectively. On average, seniors in Mankato are spending about $197 more per month on nursing home care than those in Minneapolis. In Duluth, seniors pay around $848 less per month than their peers in Minneapolis, making it Minnesota’s second-most affordable city for nursing home care.

$11285

St. Cloud

$10437

Duluth

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

At $1,863 a month, adult day health care is the most affordable type of senior care in Minneapolis followed by assisted living at $4,797 per month. Nursing home care with private accommodations falls at the other end of the cost spectrum, with one month of care averaging $12,167, which is more than double the cost of assisted living. The median monthly cost of home care is $6,292. For a month of home health care services, seniors in Minneapolis spend an average of $6,483.

$6292

Adult day health care

$4797

Assisted living

$11285

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$12167

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Minneapolis, Minnesota

Free Resources for Seniors in Minneapolis, Minnesota

The list below outlines a few programs and resources that may help seniors pay for nursing home care or help them continue living independently in the community and delay the move to a nursing facility.

ResourceContactService
Long-term Care Ombudsman(651) 431-2555The Long-Term Care Ombudsman program ensures seniors have a fair voice in disputes with their nursing facility caregivers. Common scenarios warranting an ombudsman’s involvement include concerns about care quality, financial disputes, disruption in long-term care insurance benefits and any situation where the rights of a resident are in jeopardy.
Trellis(651) 641-8612Trellis is the Area Agency on Aging for the Twin Cities area. The agency offers Medicare counseling and admissions screening for the state Medicaid Program, Medical Assistance. It also helps seniors access in-home supportive services, and provides Medicare and health insurance options counseling. Many of Trellis’s services are funded by the Older Americans Act.
Department of Human Services(612) 596-1036The Department of Human Services is the government department where seniors can sign up for Hennepin Health, the county’s implementation of the state’s Medicaid program. Workers can assist seniors with enrollment, explain the costs and benefits of government subsidy programs and advise on available waiver programs and services seniors may qualify for.
Meals on Wheels(612) 623-3363Meals on Wheels is a national nutrition program that aids seniors who are homebound and unable to shop for groceries or cook for themselves. Meals on Wheels delivers freshly prepared meals straight to seniors’ doorsteps Monday through Friday, and frozen meals may be provided for weekends. The cost is nominal and based on a senior’s needs, or covered for those enrolled in Medicaid’s home and community-based services program.