Detroit is the largest city in the midwestern United States with a population of 670,031. About 13.3% of residents are over the age of 65, and the city has a number of services and facilities to assist its senior community. Detroit has excellent medical facilities, including the Henry Ford Hospital and the award-winning University of Michigan’s Michigan Medicine.

Nursing home care offers full-time medical care and assistance for seniors who are extremely frail and require constant care. According to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2020, the average monthly cost of nursing home care in Detroit is $8,821 for a semiprivate room. This is higher than the national average and may be a reason to consider other types of care such as assisted living and home health care services.

This guide discusses the costs of nursing home care in Detroit and other cities in Michigan and compares these costs to other forms of senior care available. The purpose of the guide is to help seniors make an informed choice when it comes to choosing the type of care they receive.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Detroit, MI

Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan (RIM)

261 Mack Avenue, Detroit, MI, 48201

I want to convey my deepest appreciation and thanks for all the help and support the crews of the 3rd floor and the PT and OT rehabilitation team at RIM gave me. Your level of professionalism from hou … (read more)

Law-den Nursing Home

1640 Webb St, Detroit, MI, 48206

My grandmother is in Law Den Nursing Home. The community is excellent, they’re great, they communicate with you, they’re nice, and hands-on. They make sure she gets everything she needs. After getting … (read more)

Riverview Health & Rehab Center North

18300 E Warren Ave, Detroit, MI, 48224

My mother-in-law moved to St. John. It’s really nice, updated, and clean. It has a nice atmosphere, good people, and a lot of entertainment. The food is good, and the elderly is treated very well. The … (read more)

Ambassador, a Villa Center

8045 E Jefferson Ave, Detroit, MI, 48214

When I came to the villa I could not walk or do for myself and the staff help me get back on my feet and walk my arm was cut open and I could not use it and the staff also help me be able to use my ar … (read more)

Beaconshire Nursing Center

21630 Hessel Ave, Detroit, MI, 48219

My dad has dementia and Beaconshire Nursing Center has place there that takes care of people like my him. Everything is all good. If it wasn’t good, I wouldn’t have put him there. The staff is real ni … (read more)

Redford Geriatric Village

22811 W SEVEN MILE RD, Detroit, MI, 48219

My aunt is at The Villa At Great Lakes Crossing. It is a small facility. They only have about 90 beds. The care that my aunt has been given has been excellent. She is always clean, always fed, and she … (read more)

Elmwood Geriatric Village

1881 E GRAND BLVD, Detroit, MI, 48211

The frontline staff is the reason this place feels like family. The staff has the challenge of creating a lot from a little budget, but they do it with grace, including raising their own funds to take … (read more)

Advantage Living Center

16181 Hubbell Street, Detroit, MI, 48235

I visited Advantage Living Center, and they were pretty good. The rooms were semi-private, meant for two people, and they were pretty nice. The staff was very nice and courteous. The floors are clean, … (read more)

Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center

6700 W OUTER DR, Detroit, MI, 48235

My mother was a resident in Hartford Nursing/Rehab Facility. They were very short of staff which they admitted to. She was there during COVID so we were not able to visit her. She was very unhappy. W … (read more)

Fairlane Senior Care and Rehab Center

15750 Joy Road, Detroit, MI, 48228

The staff here is amazing! it is a big older facility with alot of heart and happiness!

Sheffield Manor Nursing & Rehab Center

15311 Schaefer Hwy, Detroit, MI, 48227

I visited Sheffield Manor and the whole community is marginal. I wouldn’t say it’s the lowest and they’re also not the best. The staff is sometimes helpful and sometimes not. The rooms need to be upda … (read more)

West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center

22355 W Eight Mile Rd., Detroit, MI, 48219

I visited West Oaks Senior Care & Rehab Center and I was really turned off by it. It didn’t take me long to determine that that’s not where I would put my aunt. First of all, the location is not g … (read more)

Cadillac Nursing Home

1533 Cadillac Blvd, Detroit, MI, 48214

My experience with this provider was fairly, pleasant. On every visit to my grand mother the staff accommodated myself and other family members who were visiting properly. No facility is perfect and I … (read more)

Qualicare Nursing Home

695 E Grand Blvd., Detroit, MI, 48207

Our experience with Qualicare Nursing Home so far has been good. It’s an older place that has been remodeled, and the food is good. The staff has also been so far so good. At first my brother didn’t l … (read more)

Samaritan Center

5555 Conner St, #2210, Detroit, MI, 48213

I sent Mom to Samaritan Manor because it is a better place for her to be. It seems they are better able to take care of her here than in the previous facility she was in. The staff always seem to be w … (read more)

Oakpointe Senior Care and Rehab Center

18901 Meyers Road, Detroit, MI, 48235

My mother’s experience in Oakpointe Senior Care and Rehab Center was almost tragic. In the sense that she lost nearly 30 pounds within two weeks. The experience she had there is one that I wouldn’t wi … (read more)

St James Nursing Center

15063 GRATIOT AVE, Detroit, MI, 48205

My dad was only St James for a week October 1 to October 8 & they almost killed him..Dehydration, Malnourished, fever black eye ,& wounds on his legs that he didn’t have when he went in..he wa … (read more)

Regency Heights-detroit

19100 WEST SEVEN MILE ROAD, Detroit, MI, 48219

I was at Regency Heights for rehabilitation a few years ago. It was a nice place. They had nice facilities and a nice rehab program. My wife’s mother also had been there before, so we knew about it. T … (read more)

Boulevard Temple Care Center, LLC

2567 West Grand Boulevard , Detroit, MI, 48208

Boulevard Temple is clean and the staff seems to be efficient and has no attitude about their work. Most of the time my wife is in the dayroom watching television and conversing with the other clients … (read more)

Omni Continuing Care

5201 Conner St, Detroit, MI, 48213

The room are overcrowded with poor circulation. The administrators appear to care when talking to caregivers but behind the scenes (I accidentally overheard comments when they were not aware) are i … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Detroit, MI

The average monthly cost for nursing care in Detroit is $8,821 for a semiprivate room and $10,646 for a private room.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

According to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2020, the average monthly cost for nursing home care in Detroit is $8,821. This is similar to the statewide average of $8,973 for Michigan. Nursing home care costs $1,065 more in Detroit than the national average of $7,756. The nearby city of Lansing has a similar average cost of $8,973, while the cities of Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor and Flint all have higher average monthly nursing home care costs.

$8821

Ann Arbor

$9353

Flint

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

According to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2020, the average monthly cost of nursing home care in Detroit is $8,821 for a semiprivate room and $10,646 for a private room. The cheapest senior care option in Detroit is adult day health care at an average cost of $1,733 per month. The average cost of homemaker services is $4,767 per month, and the average cost of home health aide services is $4,957 per month. Assisted living costs an average of $4,750 per month.

$8821

$4957

Home Health Aide

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Detroit, MI

Free Resources for Seniors in Detroit, MI

The city of Detroit offers a range of free resources to assist seniors wanting to remain in their own homes and to those living in nursing home facilities. Here is a list of a few resources that assist seniors in Detroit.

Resource ContactServices
Detroit Senior Solutions(313) 446-4444Detroit Senior Solutions is a federally funded organization that aims to improve the lives of seniors in the Detroit area. The program offers services to help seniors to age in place for as long as possible. Services offered include meal delivery to homebound seniors, health and wellness education, caregiver respite, transport to medical appointments and assistance with applying for benefits. The majority of services are offered free of charge, but there is a small fee for the meal delivery program. Financial assistance is available to those who cannot afford the meal delivery service.
Michigan Medicaid Program(517) 241-3740The state of Michigan is part of the federal Medicaid program, which provides medical assistance to those who are eligible for the program. Seniors who require nursing home care but cannot afford the fees may be eligible for Medicaid assistance. The program requires that seniors contribute all their available income to the nursing home fees, with Medicaid covering the additional costs.
Home-delivered meals(800) 851-1454Wayne County operates a state-funded program to provide meals to homebound seniors over the age of 60. There is no charge for the service, but income restrictions do apply. Special diets can be accommodated, and a liquid meal option is available for those who can no longer ingest solid food.