Sunrise of Shelby Township

46471 Hayes Road, Shelby Township, MI 48315
Sunrise of Shelby Township (800) 385-2527
PROMOTION! 37 days

Summer Sales Incentive! Enjoy discounted room rates and reduced Move in Fees till 9/23/19.

Reviews of Sunrise of Shelby Township

Assisted Living Reviews for Sunrise of Shelby Township

October 24, 2016

By Mitch H.

Sunrise was nice, it was clean, and they had doctors that come on-site. The guy that I met was very nice, he answered my questions, and he toured me through the facility. However, I didn’t like how the rooms were laid out. They either had a single size room or a common space to be shared by the residents.

August 02, 2016

By Mary150054

Sunrise of Shelby Township's director was nice, but I didn't like the place at all. It was way overdone, had so much junk in it, and so many pictures on the wall. There was only one bedroom closet. It looked like a Victorian mansion with a porch going all the way around and a patio, but I would never stay there. It seemed that the people were really sick.
We’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. Please contact us at information (at) sunriseseniorliving.com so we can better understand your concerns. –The Sunrise Team We are sorry to hear about your experience at our community. We take your comments very seriously and would like to speak with you further. Please email information (at) sunriseseniorliving (dot) com with your contact information so that we can reach out to you. Thank you, The Sunrise Team

April 02, 2016

By amylee99

Do not move your loved one into this facility! Avoid trusting your loved ones to this "care" facility, This place is a mirage... the decor is pretty and the sales personal are great at marketing this is as a wonderful place to live, but it is all for show. The memory care floor workers are not adequately trained and they treat the residents terribly. At any given time, they have 30 or so residents seated in front of a television. It makes me sick to think our elders are treated so poorly, especially when they are suffering from such an awful disease.

We’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. Please know we care deeply about the safety and well-being of our residents. Please contact us at information (at) sunriseseniorliving (dot) com so that we can learn more. –The Sunrise Team

December 30, 2015

By Susan118344350

We visited Sunrise of Shelby Township for my father. The building was beautiful and it looked like it had many amenities. The rooms were nice and big. The place was beautiful.

November 30, 2015

By Kristen14

Out of the three places I visited, Sunrise would have been my second choice. It was a very nice place. It was probably the prettiest of all and real close by. I just felt afraid that mother might be a little bit isolated because of the way they were set up.

November 30, 2015

By Alice117282150

Sunrise of Shelby Township was more like a quaint home where everybody was together. It looked very nice.

November 22, 2015

By Gray1

Sunrise was a very nice facility; it was our second choice. The staff seemed attentive to the residents. It had an old-fashioned, colonial feel to it. Someone was playing the guitar when we visited, and they have cards, bingo, and some exercise equipment. The dining room was nice, and the menu had a wide variety to choose from plus daily specials.

September 06, 2015

By Caring112059150

We visited Sunrise Of Shelby Township. It was a very nice facility. They evaluated my mother and deemed her necessary for memory care, but they did not have an opening for memory care. Nevertheless, they had great activities, and it was a great place.

June 15, 2015

They were really good at Sunrise of Shelby Township. The hallways and the dining room were beautiful, but the apartments were not as nice. The lady who gave us the tour was very nice.

March 31, 2015

By Greg22

I have already got one for my aunt, and she is already set. Sunrise is very nice, and the services are excellent. They have friendly staff and excellent services, and there are plenty of things for them to do. My aunt loves the food as well.

February 23, 2015

By RedWingsFan

Sunrise is nice place. It's clean and comfortable. The staff is caring and enthusiastic. My relative lives in the Reminiscence Neighborhood (memory care) and I feel that she is safe. She is quite content. The staff spent a lot of time getting to know her and they went out of their way to make her fit in and feel at home. They are aware of her strengths and work those in to her daily routine. They also know her likes and dislikes. There are many activities to do. But the residents do not have to do them all. They have things to do for a wide range of abilities and offer frequent entertainment. The food is very good. They also have a cat and dog there, which the residents seem to like. The drawbacks are that it is a little pricey there and there is limited parking.

June 17, 2014

By Linda3865

I have my mom in now at Sunrise of Shelby Township. She moved in a month ago. The facility is very good. It's approximately only 3 miles from my house, so that's a good thing. Everybody working there is very kind and very caring. The place is clean and well taken care of. My mom has only a bedroom by herself. She shares a bathroom with another lady, though. Some people have much bigger rooms, and some people have smaller rooms. Their activities are pretty good. They have it all signed up for one month ahead of time so you know what's going to be going on. They have outings, and you can go out if you want.

May 27, 2014

Sunrise is very beautiful but pricey. It’s fairly new, and it has a beautiful building. When you walk in the lobby there’s a very nice coffee bar for the people, and any time, they can sit down. They have a separate sitting room for those in memory care, and lights on the ceiling for them to meditate.

December 29, 2013

By Carolyn30

I really like Sunrise of Shelby Township. The staff was great. I saw their activity schedule. I walked around their dining room. I walked around outside. They had really nice facility and places for the residents to go outside. I really like that.

December 03, 2013

By Leelee627

My family and I looked into Sunrise of Shelby for about a month, before making the very difficult decision, to place her there. The sales associate was wonderful; we made a deposit and were planning on moving mom in this week. Unfortunately, we were notified a day before move in, that they no longer could accept mom, for reasons they couldn't "really disclose". Had we known there was any potential of this happening, we would have been prepared, and looked for other options or had a back-up plan. But now we are in a very bad crisis situation due to Sunrise. Sunrise let my family down greatly, and wasted a lot of our very valuable time as well. Again, this is something that has been a sure thing for a week now and we are still confused as to how this could have happened. Again, Sunrise never notified us of mom being 'denied' and of this being a potential situation at all. Very disheartening.

We're very sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience with our community. The safety and well-being of our residents is our top priority and we are committed to the highest quality of care for each resident. We’d like to learn more from you - please contact us at information@sunriseseniorliving.com. –The Sunrise Team

October 29, 2013

By Cindi3

Mom was at Sunrise of Shelby Township for respite care for a short period of time. The quarters were much more closed, which I think too small for the number of residents that they have. She was not comfortable there at all. For someone that needs their space, this place just wasn't working for us. Their food was cafeteria institution food. The employees though were very nice, friendly, and eager to help. However, they didn't seem quite as well educated in geriatric patients with dementia or Alzheimer's.

August 14, 2013

By Michelle29

My dad used to be at Sunrise of Shelby. They changed caregivers all the time and they were rude. We ended up not trusting them anymore. They were sending my dad to the hospital for very simple things.

January 30, 2013

By Kaye1

I really liked Sunrise. This is where I would love to be placed when I get to that age. There was a lot going on, it was busy, it was energetic. They have a house dog which I absolutely love.

August 14, 2012

By Marilyn5

My husband is still in the same facility in The Sunrise of Shelby Town. He's been there for over a year now. He likes it there. He seems to be happy. The only thing that I'm complaining about is the parking around there. It is very bad for me. It's very difficult for me to be walking and looking for parking. However, I did call the corporate office and complained to them about it. So supposedly their working on it. I do like the place but they're very, very expensive. The staff has been doing very good. The doctor asked my husband, "Are you happy here?" and he said, "Yes!". With regards to the food, you can get food any time you want. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. They have snacks in between breakfast and lunch and snacks between lunch and dinner. And if you want something else you can request like a sandwich maybe. I would recommend them to others.

Memory Care Reviews for Sunrise of Shelby Township

Questions about Sunrise of Shelby Township

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

We have monthly training for all care managers. Once you are a Sunrise Senior Living team member your training is always ongoing and never ceases.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Sunrise of Shelby Township. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Our residents lead a vibrant and fulfilling life. Our population includes seniors from all walks of life. The average resident age is 82. Residents love our interactive SingFit and our "Live With Purpose" programming which plays a crucial role in the vitality of our community. Our activity program schedule is designed to support your physical, mental and spiritual wellness through eight focus areas. These include exercise, excursions, art, music, education, intergenerational mentoring, community service and spirituality. You will enjoy so many choices when you are one of our residents.

What programs or activities does Sunrise of Shelby Township offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We have vibrant daily activities through our Sunrise Live With Purpose program. We offer Exercise Essentials, Go4Life Walking Club, Rosary, Communion, Bible Study and church outings.

What places are near Sunrise of Shelby Township or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

We are a short distance from the "Golden Corridor" where you will find a variety of shopping including Lakeside Mall and Partridge Creek.

What transportation services does Sunrise of Shelby Township offer to assisted living residents?

Our Sunrise shuttle bus goes on social and church outings. We enjoy weekly lunch outings and shopping trips. Join us for our trips to the Casino, movies and Frankenmuth.

What makes the chef or dining program at Sunrise of Shelby Township exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our professional chef prepares three meals each day based on your personal tastes and nutritional needs. Whether you prefer your old favorites or are eager to try new foods, the culinary team creates exciting menus that include seasonal offerings, regional dishes and traditional classics. Sit with your friends in the dining room and enjoy resident favorites like our chef's take on Roast Turkey and Dressing, Chicken Pot Pie and Shrimp Scampi.

What safety features or security measures does Sunrise of Shelby Township offer to assisted living residents?

Trained staff is available 24 hours a day and you will have a monthly wellness visit by one of our licensed nurses. We will do a quarterly medication review with a pharmacist. Your suite features an emergency call response system in case a health issue should arise.

How does Sunrise of Shelby Township keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We pride ourselves on having a high level of communication with our families. We received the J.D. Power Award for having the "Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Senior Living Communities" We also reassess our residents every 3 months and this information is sent to each family contact. If anything occurs with a resident that is out of the ordinary a call is placed to the family to inform them.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Sunrise of Shelby Township during daytime and nighttime hours?

At Sunrise we offer variable staffing which is dependent on the needs of the residents. If residents have a high level of care they are being assisting more frequently throughout the day. If residents are independent that care manager may have more residents to care for. Please know that our variable staffing is the perfect solution to assuring that all care needs are met.

If Sunrise of Shelby Township accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We accept dogs and cats. We have a beautiful outdoor garden and patio that is fenced in and private. It is a great area for pets to play and enjoy the weather.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

We have ongoing training and monthly modules at our training kiosks for our designated care managers to complete. This is in addition to the Sunrise University Program that each new team member completes that introduces them on how to provide care and champion the quality of life for all seniors.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

Our ratio of care managers on memory care is smaller then in assisted living as our residents need more assistance. The ratio is variable depending on resident needs.

What safety features or security measures does Sunrise of Shelby Township provide to protect residents who wander?

Our front door is unlocked from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm. During those hours our concierge is on duty at our front desk. She is aware of any wandering residents. If a new resident needs a wander guard it can be worn on the wrist and will give off an alarm if they are approaching our front door. If a resident is constantly exit seeking then they may be better served on our secure Memory Care neighborhood.

What programs or activities does Sunrise of Shelby Township offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

We do activities in small group settings so our residents have more attention and one on one time with a Care or Life Enrichment manager. We reminiscence about old memories and offer eight stimulating activities everyday.

We assess each new resident at their home to determine an individualize care plan for them. This is updated every 3 months or whenever we see a change in condition.

What techniques does Sunrise of Shelby Township use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

We use a fiestaware china that helps the resident differentiate food on their plate. The plates are sloped to make it easier to retrieve food and coffee cups have a special handle that makes it easier for residents to hold. If a resident requires hand feeding or need to have their meat cut we are glad to assist in that area. We offer several types of diets as well. They include mechanical soft, pureed and thickened liquid to no added salts or sugars.

How does Sunrise of Shelby Township keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

When we are aware of a change of condition the family is contacted to keep them up to date. We pride ourselves on open, frequent and timely contact to keep you informed.

Describe the neighborhood around Sunrise of Shelby Township. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

We are located in a residential area with Lakeside Park apartments next to us and condo and homes to west. Hayes Road also offers some small shopping centers as well.

Is Sunrise of Shelby Township affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Henry Ford Macomb and Troy Beaumont.

Photos of Sunrise of Shelby Township

Services and Amenities of Sunrise of Shelby Township

• Nurse On Staff: Available During Business Hours

• Pets: Small Pets

About Sunrise of Shelby Township

Sunrise's assisted living options offer personalized assistance, supportive services and compassionate care in a professionally managed, carefully designed, community setting. It's the perfect alternative for seniors who can no longer live on their own at home, yet don't need 24-hour, complex medical supervision.

Sunrise recognizes the special needs of people with Alzheimer's disease and other related memory impairments. Offering a fresh approach, we begin with understanding the stories and details of a senior's life so we can help them attain what we call "pleasant days." This means finding ways to involve residents in everyday activities they enjoy and can feel successful at, in specially designed surroundings that are both safe and stimulating. Providing care for seniors with Alzheimer's and other memory impairments can be challenging, but Sunrise has created a care option that works ? innovative and effective programs with multiple levels of support.

Map of Sunrise of Shelby Township