Brookdale Shreveport

Reviews of Brookdale Shreveport

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Shreveport

September 10, 2015

By TimW

I stopped by Brookdale to look for placement for my mom. When I walked through the front door I was instantly greeted with smiles and everyone was very nice. The building is clean, spacious and big dining room. I hope my mother likes the room. If you are in the same boat as me, go look at Brookdale Shreveport. They will be very helpful.

April 21, 2015

By Sarah5136

My grandmother has been living, at what is now, Brookdale Shreveport in the Memory Care Community. We can already see the changes Brookdale has to offer from the services offered to the cleanliness of the community and the new uniforms. When you walk in the front door you have many people smiling and wanting to help you. The staff will go above and beyond to help you and to help my grandmother as much as they can. I can honestly say that Brookdale Shreveport is the change our family needed and we are very happy with the team. We will be attending the Open House on May 1, 2015 at 2 pm. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this place.

November 17, 2014

By eagledriver

I visited this facility. Very nice environment. Spacious. Clean. Staff was friendly and helpful. I would recommend to friends and family looking for placement for their loved one.

November 15, 2014

By Keely1

I have had a professional relationship with Emeritus for many years. In the last year I have gained a new perspective from a personal relationship when a close friend's parents moved in. They are very happy at Emeritus & have had no difficulty making the transition from their private home to assisted living thanks to the kind,caring, and attentive staff at Emeritus. As a professional in the geriatric healthcare community, I have referred numerous families to Emeritus. In the many years I have made referrals, I have never received any negative feedback. It has been the preferred assisted living facility among our families.

November 10, 2014

By asmartchick

I'm seeing a lot of wonderful changes since this facility joined the Brookdale community. The staff is professional, attentive and helpful. The property is well maintained and getting a few updates. The memory care unit is designed for dementia patients and the caregivers are specially trained to work with people who have dementia. It's a nice place for aging parents to move into and get the extra help needed but remain active. They host a variety of activities and have a driver for physician appointments. The resident directors are very helpful and know how to make the transition easy.

August 27, 2014

Everything was wonderful. The rooms were spacious. Emeritus would have been a great place, but it ended up that we could not afford it. The place would have been great. They liked it.

July 20, 2014

By Robin32

My mother is in Emeritus. The people that run it are fabulous; they are very good. However, the people that work there are not good; their help is very poor. The night staff has been intimidating to my mother. Their menus are awful for seniors. I mean, they serve hotdogs and hamburgers. It is a terrible menu. The rooms are lovely. They are very nice. Overall, though, we are really concerned because, for the money that we pay, though they do offer different levels, they can't provide for the level that my mother needs.

March 21, 2014

The experience was okay, but I didn't like Emeritus at all. It was outdated, it smelled like a nursing home, it didn't seem clean and it was very depressing. It's not a good place. The rooms were okay, but not very. The staff was probably lacking. Just the one person that we talked to looked okay. But even that was questionable. We're just turned off by it. One of the staff members had visitors coming in had their car thumping and banging with that crazy music. The staff member was hanging inside the car and smoking. A lady in the memory care unit was banging on the door trying to get in. No staff members anywhere in sight. The only one that we saw was outside hanging into the window or talking to her boyfriend. I don't know. It was just awful. They could improve on their facility, updating it, and cleaning it because it smells so nasty. They could improve on their activities. They shouldn't just have those people color with crayons and that's what they call their activities. That's definitely not a caring facility. And this was just not my opinion. There were five of us that went out and every one of us have the very same opinion of it. There was no way we're putting our parents there.

December 27, 2013

By Yvonnie

Mom was at Emeritus for over a month. They have some very nice people there and they do make them happy. I was there every day. But I am not a fan of memory care units and that's what Medicare/Medicaid won't pay for either. The place was different from where my mom's in right now. Their rooms were a whole lot bigger and was more like a hotel or apartment. There's a couch and a kitchenette area. You could put your double, queen or single bed depending on how much room you needed or wanted. The living environment was nice and clean. They did activities as well. But they could improve on the food. Mom did get plenty of eggs in the morning. But she went back for the soup in the evening and there was absolutely no taste. When I asked them about it, they told me that those were the recipes they got from the home office and they couldn't even change it. But when my mom was there, she was happy and she wouldn't complain about the food.

October 09, 2013

By Ebba

I looked at several facilities and I picked Emeritus at Shreveport for my father. The place is very nice, clean, and updated. The staff are very good. They do bingo and they take the residents shopping. The rooms are very spacious. I would recommend this facility because my father is happy there, but they need to work on their food.

October 03, 2013

By Racehorse

I would never put anyone you love in Emeritus at Shreveport. Their nursing staff is the worse. My Father almost died there and no one called. I had to drive from out of town and take him to the emergency room and then they lied and said he had gone with a friend for a few days. Why lie!!!! He never went back and died in a month due to heart failure. Poorly managed and "don't care" attitude.

September 30, 2013

By Risa1

Emeritus at Shreveport was a very nice place and I really like the people there, but we just could not afford it. The staff took us on a tour and showed the rooms and the dining area and pretty much everything that they have. Everything looked good, looked clean. I would have no complaints. As a matter of fact if I had to pick at all the places I have seen, I would have picked this facility.

July 05, 2012

By PhilipH1

My grandmother received very nice care at Kingsley Place (Emeritus at Shreveport). It was best to visit her frequently (because it shows the employees you care and would notice anything improper), and she seemed to receive certainly more than adequate care. The workers would remember me by name, greet me very warmly, and always be able to tell me where my grandmother was; I would recommend Kingsley Place, but as with any elder care service, keeping the workers accountable is key.

April 02, 2012

By bettyOla

I put my dad there and we paid for a higher level of care for him which we didn't get. I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone. They people there are nice at first as long as you are doing it their way but don't buck the system.

December 03, 2011

By dream2011

We put my father in law here because I could no longer handle caring for him and to date (less than 3 months) they have misplaced his laundry, when he does get his clothes the whites are a dingy grey, he has had 2 new sets of sheets stolen (or misplaced???) when he first moved in they were holding his pill packs and weren't giving him his meds. Now he keeps his own meds.I prepare his pill packs and always have been. We're paying for level 2 care when he receives no care. For the price they could do a little more than what they do.

September 29, 2011

By lilladybug1999

The facility wasn't to bad. The people were really nice when you could finally get someone. They made my great grandmother happy for her time there so in return that made me happy. The facility I feel could have been kept a little more organized and cleaner, but I guess thats not always possible. They never messed up her medication like the previous place so that was a major plus for our family. We almost lost her when they were doubling her meds at the previous housing we had her in. Anywho I would recommend this place to others, because even thou they are there, they allow the patients to still feel some independance.

July 27, 2011

By Daughter223

My mother has only been at Kingsley for two weeks -- she personally is having a very hard time but most of the staff are going the extra mile to try and make this her home.

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale Shreveport

Questions about Brookdale Shreveport

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Elopement Drill Training, Ageism, Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care Dining Program, Alzheimer’s and Dementia Signs and Symptoms, Learning to Communicate Through Dementia Training, etc.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Shreveport. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The average age is 86 years old. Our resident’s love to play BINGO, B-Fit Exercise, sitting outside in our peaceful enclosed courtyard and bird watch, live entertainment, Mystery Trips to various places in the Shreveport/Bossier area, going shopping to popular stores that are located very close to our community, and monthly celebrations that include: birthday parties, holiday parties, themed parties

What programs or activities does Brookdale Shreveport offer to enrich residents' well-being?

B-fit Exercise and our Walking Club to Enrich Physical Devotion, Gideon’s Bible Study, and Pastor Lenard for Spiritual Lunch, shopping, and mystery trip outings for things needed and also to socialize and stay active as far as going out of community and not just staying in their apartment. Cards for soldiers, collecting socks, hygiene products, etc for those in need to remind residents they are important and still able to contribute and help their community.

What places are near Brookdale Shreveport or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Our community is on University Drive which runs parallel to the popular street Youree Drive which includes various stores and restaurant’s including Target, Best Buy, Bed Bath and Beyond, At Home, Home Goods, Whole Foods, Kroger, Chili’s, Walk On’s, McAlister’s, etc.

What transportation services does Brookdale Shreveport offer to assisted living residents?

We provide schedule transportation to and from Doctor appointments on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday’s from 9am-4pm. We also provide transportation for Activity Programs on Tuesday and Thursday for residents who are interested.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Shreveport exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our Daily Menu’s include a Main Choice and a Lighter Option, as well as, the Always Available Menu. The Always Available Menu serves favorites based on our Food Preference Form that is given to each resident upon move in.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Shreveport offer to assisted living residents?

Our Assisted Living community allows our residents to come and go freely, but the front entrance doors lock automatically at 8:30pm and unlock at 6:30am daily. The front doors are the ONLY entrance to the building and a concierge is on duty until 6pm. All guests sign in and receive a badge so we know who is in the building at all times.

How does Brookdale Shreveport keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Our Health and Wellness Director/Clinical Team will be in constant communication with our residents, their family, and their Primary Care Physician to answer/solve any concerns.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Shreveport during daytime and nighttime hours?

We base our staffing on residents needs so the number of staff during the day and night can change. Brookdale will never go below 2 Care Givers at a given time.

If Brookdale Shreveport accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Brookdale Shreveport is pet friendly and we allow pets that weigh 25 lbs. or less. We have two enclosed outside court yards that have areas for pets to enjoy.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

AL What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive? Brookdale provides monthly trainings for ALL staff members to complete. The subjects range from OSHA Training’s monthly, Safety Meeting Training, CPR Training, Direct Care Staff Training for Resident Safety, Safe Lifting and Transfer Training, Evacuation Procedure Training, Fire Drill Training, Elopement Training,

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Shreveport provide to protect residents who wander?

Brookdale Shreveport is a perfect community to age in place because we are an Assisted Living community with a secured environment called Clare Bridge. In Assisted Living, residents have the freedom to come and go as they please with exception to the front door locking automatically at 8:30pm. If a resident is wandering we would consider that to be a Change in Condition which would prompt a new assessment that would be completed by our Health and Wellness Director. If we saw fit, we would then transition that resident to our secured environment called Clare Bridge

What programs or activities does Brookdale Shreveport offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Every day we go over Daily Events, Newspaper Articles, Brain Games- Finish the Phrase, Everyday Trivia, Joggin’ Your Noggin, B-Fit Exercise, Pet Therapy, Mystery Trips, Reminiscing Activities, Cluster Groups that are designed to accommodate each stage of Alzheimer’s for each individual resident.

Our Health and Wellness Director and Health and Wellness Coordinator assess each resident’s health and cognitive function. We complete our assessment prior to move in, 14-30 days after move in, Quarterly and/or for a Change in Condition.

What techniques does Brookdale Shreveport use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Brookdale’s Clare Bridge Dining specializes in a person centered approach which honors tastes, preferences, past dining habits, and offers choices. We keep the table setting simple and provide water during all meals and snack times.

How does Brookdale Shreveport keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Shreveport. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

We are located in a residential neighborhood that is close to many shops, stores, and hospitals.

Is Brookdale Shreveport affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Brookdale Shreveport is not an affiliated with any local hospital but we are located near two of the main hospitals in our area: Willis Knighton Pierremont and Christus Highland

Photos of Brookdale Shreveport

About Brookdale Shreveport

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Map of Brookdale Shreveport