Shreveport is a city in Louisiana that is located on the banks of the Red River. The average monthly cost of nursing home care in Shreveport is $5,536, according to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2020. This is over $2,000 less than the national average of $7,756, which makes Shreveport an attractive city for seniors looking at long-term care options. The city has a population of 187,111 and around 15.5% of residents are aged 65 and older.

Nursing home care is a long-term care option for seniors with chronic illnesses who require 24/7 medical care and assistance. Skilled nursing care in the facilities is provided by registered nurses who are always available to assist residents and monitor their health. This makes nursing home care, in general, an expensive option and seniors who don’t require this level of care may want to look at alternate options such as assisted living and home care services

This guide looks at the costs of nursing home care in Shreveport and surrounding cities as well as the costs of alternative care options in the city. Additionally, it looks at resources that may assist seniors in the Shreveport area.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Shreveport, LA

Village Health Care at the Glen

408 E. FLOURNOY LUCAS, Shreveport, LA, 71115

We visited Village Healthcare At the Glen for my grandmother. I thought it was very nice. Most of them were very friendly and helpful. The room was very spacious. It looked very well-maintained. They … (read more)

Garden Park Nursing & Rehab Ctr, Llc

9111 Linwood Ave, Shreveport, LA, 71106

My parents have moved into Garden Park. It’s in a beautiful setting and has beautiful grounds. We heard almost nothing but good things from my parents about how they’re treated. My dad has been there … (read more)

Willis-knighton Extended Care Center

2550 Kings Hwy, Shreveport, LA, 71103

I personally thought that this was an amazing place. my grandmother and her husband lived here for almost a year until she got really ill and we brought her home to be with us. Had nothing to do with … (read more)

Roseview Nursing And Rehabilitation Center

3405 Mansfield Road, Shreveport, LA, 71103

My friend has moved into Roseview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. He needed the assistance. He’s in bad shape right now, and they’re taking care of him. We haven’t had any problem with anything. Ev … (read more)

The Guest House

9225 Normandie Drive, Shreveport, LA, 71118

My father was a resident in the Guest House for 5 months. During that time he was extremely well taken of and loved by the Administration and staff. Honestly there are not words to express how wonderf … (read more)

Heritage Manor South

9712 MANSFIELD ROAD, Shreveport, LA, 71118

Heritage Manor South is close to my house. They said they’ve been taking care of my mother, but she’s just been there for two weeks and is still new. The staff that I ran into and talked to was great. … (read more)

Booker T. Washington Nursing Center

7605 Line Avenue , Shreveport, LA, 71106

As a medic, it is my job to go into nursing facilities and assess patients when there is an emergency. Each nursing facility has its’ own story to tell, but the one at Booker T. Washington has a happy … (read more)

Bradford Guest Care, Llc (THE)

3050 BAIRD ROAD, Shreveport, LA, 71118

The rooms are like hospital room. The staff is incompetent and rude They have very few activities and they didn’t see to my sister attending the few they have. They half do there job from the admin … (read more)

Southern Hills Healthcare

9105 Baird Rd, Shreveport, LA, 71118

Understaffed. Incompetent. Would not trust my loved one here to be cared for. Administration is a joke, and the poor work ethic of the employees is a direct reflection of that.

Spring Lake Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation

8622 Line Avenue, Shreveport, LA, 71106

I went to Spring Lake from Willis-Knighton following shoulder surgery. I got far better nursing care at Spring Lake than at WK. The physical and occupational therapy was excellent! The staff was frien … (read more)

Pierremont Healthcare Center

725 Mitchell Lane, Shreveport, LA, 71106

My sister, waited over half an hour for meds. This is ridiculous 😠
My sister, waited over half an hour for meds. This is ridiculous 😠

Heritage Manor West

7060 Cottonwood Bouleavard, Shreveport, LA, 71129

After about 6+ months of inconsistent care for my father, we had two different meetings with administration to address and resolve the issues. Shortly after being assured things will be corrected he w … (read more)

Claiborne Healthcare Center

2715 ALBERT L. BICKNELL DR, Shreveport, LA, 71103

Shreveport Manor, Llc

3302 Mansfield, Shreveport, LA, 71103

Nursing Home Costs in Shreveport, Louisiana

In Shreveport, the average cost of nursing home care is $5,536 for a semiprivate room and $5,779 for a private room per month.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Seniors looking at nursing home care facilities may be interested in the comparative costs of care in nearby cities. Using the average monthly cost of a semiprivate room as a baseline point, the cost of care in Shreveport is over $2,000 less than the national average of $7,756 and exactly the same as the Louisiana state average of $5,536.

The average monthly costs of care in the nearby cities of New Orleans ($5,931), Lafayette ($5,627), Lake Charles ($5,880) and Houma ($6,068) are higher than in Shreveport.

Shreveport

Lake Charles

$6068

Houma

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Those seniors who are looking at nursing home care in Shreveport may be interested in the costs of alternative care options in the city. Adult day care has an average monthly cost of $1,842 making it the cheapest option. Assisted living costs an average of $3,461 per month. Both home care and home health care services have a monthly average cost of $3,051. At the high end of the cost scale, nursing home care has an average monthly charge of $5,536 for a semiprivate room and $5,779 for a private room.

$1842

Home care

$3051

Home health care

$5536

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$5779

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Shreveport, Louisiana

Free Resources for Seniors in Shreveport, Louisiana

These resources may be of assistance to seniors who are looking for services to help them delay the transition to nursing home care and remain in their own homes for as long as safely possible. One resource provides information on state health insurance options for seniors who are looking at moving to a nursing home care facility and those who already live in one.

ResourceContactService
CADDO Council on Aging Personal Care Service(318) 676-7900 x229The CADDO Council on Aging provides a personal care service for homebound seniors aged 60 and older. This program provides weekly assistance with the tasks of daily living, dressing and personal hygiene. To qualify for the program, seniors need to have no access to regular assistance with personal care tasks and meet certain income restrictions. There is a small donation charge for this program.
Meals on Wheels(318) 676-7900The Meals on Wheels program in Shreveport provides meals to homebound seniors aged 60 and over. In order to be eligible for the program, seniors need to live alone, have an illness or disability that prevents them from preparing a meal, meet income guidelines and not have regular access to assistance at home. There is a small weekly donation for the program but seniors will not be denied meals if they cannot afford to pay. Volunteers deliver the meals around noon each day from Monday to Friday and provide a social check service to ensure the physical and mental wellbeing of seniors.
SHIIP(318) 676-7900The Senior Health Insurance Information Program provides free and unbiased information to seniors and their caregivers regarding state health insurance plans and options. The counselors can assist seniors in applying for the best plan for them and explain the details of the plan. In addition, they can assist seniors in working out the amount of financial assistance available to them for nursing home care. They can also help the seniors to apply for financial assistance and look for nursing home facilities that accept Medicare.