51 Independent Living Communities near Houston, TX

Brookdale Memorial City

11900 Barryknoll Lane, Houston, TX, 77024

We were concerned at Brookdale Memorial City about all the construction that’s going to be taking place. The staff who gave us the tour was very nice, and everybody was very nice and informative. She … (read more)

Copperfield Estates

16820 West Rd, Houston, TX, 77095

Copperfield Estates was good. I had lunch with two delightful women, and we got to talk about the different activities there. The 1-bedroom apartment was nice, and it had a full kitchen with oven, mic … (read more)

The Gardens at Spring Shadows

10100 Kempwood Drive, Houston, TX, 77080

The Gardens at Spring Shadows has so far been very good. The staff is helpful and the facility is clean and they have good maintenance people. The place is a little bit older so they do have some equi … (read more)

Tarrytowne Estates

1815 Enclave Parkway, Houston, TX, 77077

We really like Tarrytowne Estates a lot. It has little cottages or duplexes, and we really like that. The place was kind of old but had a nice feel to it. We specially like that they’re putting togeth … (read more)

2018

The Abbey at Westminster Plaza

2855 Westminster Plaza , Houston, TX, 77082

My mom has been at The Abbey at Westminster Plaza for a number of years. It’s a very nice facility in terms of its appointments, but whoever designed it had no concept of older people and the needs th … (read more)

Brookdale West University

5151 Buffalo Speedway, Houston, TX, 77005

My mom is at Brookdale West University. We chose them because it’s independent living where people can have a large one-bedroom apartment with a separate living area. It’s more like a garden apartme … (read more)

2017

Brookdale First Colony

16900 Lexington Boulevard, Houston, TX, 77479

We chose Brookdale First Colony because the staff was very friendly. They didn’t talk down to us and the place did not have a cold feeling, and the price was right. They have a swimming pool, a beauti … (read more)

2020

Embark at Willowbrook Park

7575 Willowchase Boulevard, Houston, TX, 77070

My mother moved into Embark at Willowbrook Park. The people are very friendly, both the residents and the staff, and they notice you which is a good sign. The food is very good, the living conditions … (read more)

Brookdale Galleria

2929 Post Oak Blvd., Houston, TX, 77056

Brookdale Galleria was the second on my list. They invited me to eat lunch and showed me around, and I thought it was very nice. The food was very good; I had a good salmon steak. The atmosphere was e … (read more)

Lone Star Living

10680 Westbrae Parkway, Houston, TX, 77031

Lone Star Living (formerly Westbrae Court) was right outside our subdivision, and my mom could drive without having to go on any big streets to get to our houses. However, the girl who would greet you … (read more)

St. Dominic Village

2401 A Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX, 77021

I love St. Dominic Village. It’s wonderful and everything you could expect. They provide activities and three meals a day, and I have independence to do what I want. The food is great, and it’s made b … (read more)

Anthology of Tanglewood

504 Bering Drive, Houston, TX, 77057

I call this my hidden gem. A secluded beautiful facility with all the amenities you could ask for. If you are looking for family atmosphere that you can call home, this is the place. The staff, concie … (read more)

Holly Hall Retirement Community

2000 Holly Hall Street, Houston, TX, 77054

I really like Holly Hall. The grounds are lovely. There are options for assisted and independent living; those are well laid out. I like that the residents are so much part of the community. I also li … (read more)

Aunt Gray Homes

12202 River Trail, Houston, TX, 77050

Took Tour of the Facility. Was very impressed. The Ambiance is of a Home Setting. Which really appealed to me. Rooms were highly decorated. And they have a Chef that prepares Healthy food for t … (read more)

The Village of River Oaks

1015 S Shepherd, Houston, TX, 77019

We visited The Village of River Oaks. They had some very nice apartments, although some of the better ones on the higher floors were taken up. They didn’t have a very flexible plan for meals. Essentia … (read more)

Oak Shadows Retirement and Assisted Living

4801 Allendale Rd, Houston, TX, 77017

Oak Shadows Retirement and Assisted Living is in Houston, Texas, near Allendale Road, Berry Creek, restaurants and shopping. Loved ones appreciate the helpful, hospitable staff, and there’s a library, … (read more)

The Village of Tanglewood

1600 Augusta Dr, Houston, TX, 77057

We toured The Village of Tanglewood and it was our favorite. It’s perfect in every way. They have beautiful meal service, they have lovely apartments, they have great staff, and it’s in a great loca … (read more)

Village on The Park Steeplechase

12102 Steepleway Blvd, Houston, TX, 77065

My mom has been here in Independent Living for just over two years. Initially pretty good but has gone steadily downhill. Complete change of staff several times over including at least 3 managers. The … (read more)

The Solana Preserve Vintage Park

14221 Vintage Preserve Parkway, Houston, TX, 77070

Relux Senior Community

9901 United Drive, Houston, TX, 77036

What to Expect in an Independent Living Community

Many seniors love how independent living communities reduce unwanted stress, hazards, and fatigue in their lives. Independent living communities take care of housekeeping, yard work and meals while still allowing residents personal space and the dignity of making their own choices. These communities usually provide seniors with an apartment that has a small kitchen, bathroom, living room, and one or more bedrooms. Those who want a small space may even find that some independent living communities offer studio-style apartments. Seniors can invite guests over and enjoy their rooms however they see fit.

Independent living communities often also include the following:

• Numerous opportunities for socializing and exploring new activities
  • Easy access to public or community-provided transportation
  • Meal plans for community dining as well as kitchens for seniors who like preparing their own meals
  • The ability to keep small- and medium-size pets such as dogs and cats
  • Housekeeping, laundry and groundskeeping services
  • 24-hour staff on-site who can be contacted if a problem arises

For a more detailed look at common amenities, check out our guide to independent living communities.

What Couples Should Know About Independent Living in Houston, TX

Seniors who enjoy big city living may consider retiring in Houston, the fourth-largest city in the country. News and World Report recently ranked Houston 29th on its list of the best places to retire, and the city has much to offer its senior residents.

Compared to other major metropolitan areas, Houston is relatively affordable — its cost of living is only 4.8% higher than the national average — so it may appeal to senior couples on a budget. The city has 85 hospitals to accommodate seniors’ future health needs, including the Texas Medical Center, the world’s largest medical center.

With plenty of attractions, seniors can enjoy an active retirement in Houston. The city’s museum district is home to 19 museums, including the Houston Museum of Natural Science and the Houston Center for Contemporary Craft. At the 155-acre Houston Arboretum and Nature Center, seniors can admire the gardens and explore five miles of trails.

Paying for Independent Living in Houston, TX

Compared to the nationwide average of $2,550 per month, Houston’s independent living facilities are slightly more affordable. Seniors who retire in Houston can expect to pay an average of $2,472 per month for independent living.

The annual cost of living in an independent living community can range anywhere from $12,000-$42,000, depending mostly on the amenities, room type and cost of living in the area. In addition to using personal retirement income, annuities, long-term care insurance, or cashing out an existing life insurance policy, some seniors can use Social Security funds, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments granted due to disability or low-income or HUD-provided housing assistance such as vouchers. Another route many seniors choose to fund their independent living stay is renting out or selling their homes that they won’t need once they move or taking advantage of a reverse mortgage

Our guide provides a more in-depth look at independent living costs and solutions for those who want to learn more.

How to Choose an Independent Living Community

When choosing an independent living community, it’s best to consider many factors, including the community’s proximity to loved ones and medical care, the state of repair that the facility appears to be in, the attitude and efficiency of the staff, the cost of both rent and services, the facility’s pet policy and more.

Comparing multiple communities can help seniors and their families figure out what they value most in an independent living community. During tours of these communities, staff members should be available to answer questions. To help with the touring and comparison process, we’ve included a checklist full of pertinent questions that anyone can download and print for themselves.

Transitioning to Independent Living

Independent living communities, rather than memory care or nursing homes, are often the first place seniors move to when they realize they need a lifestyle change. The necessity of letting some possessions go and the reality of leaving a home and neighborhood after possibly decades of residence there can make transitioning to an independent living community difficult. These communities are often friendly places, but being in a new environment still initially triggers feelings of loneliness in many seniors.

Having a strategy for dealing with the challenges of moving can make the transition to an independent living community a positive experience. We’ve created a downloadable step-by-step guide for tips to making this transition as smooth and enjoyable as possible.

Independent Living Resources in Houston, TX

There are many other resources and activities for seniors in Houston. Use the table below to learn about the options available for older adults in the area.

ResourcePhone Number Description
Retired and Senior Volunteer Program of Southeast Texas(713) 595-8195RSVP of Southeast Texas connects seniors with local volunteer opportunities and helps them make a difference in their communities. Houston seniors can help children, needy families, homebound seniors and other community members. The program provides free volunteer training to help seniors succeed, as well as supplemental volunteer insurance to protect them as they work.
Houston’s Community  Centers(832) 395-7000Senior programming is available at the 60 community centers located throughout Houston. These centers offer ceramics, quilting, painting, photography and other arts and crafts classes. They also provide opportunities for seniors to get active through walking clubs or group fitness classes. Most activities are free.
Houston Community College(713) 718-2000At Houston Community College, older adults receive free or discounted tuition. Adults who are 55 years or older enjoy half-price tuition, while those who are 65 or older receive free tuition for up to six credit hours per semester. Some of the areas of study that seniors can pursue include anthropology, philosophy and world languages.
India House Houston(713) 929-1900India House Houston is a nonprofit organization that provides many free or low-cost services. Every week, it offers a free one-hour technology class for seniors. During this interactive class, seniors can learn how to send messages and pictures to their loved ones; they can also learn how to use social media. The organization also offers free legal consultations.
National Alliance on Mental Illness Greater Houston(713) 970-4419NAMI Greater Houston provides free mental health support. Seniors can enroll in its free peer support groups to learn practical tips for managing their mental illnesses. The organization also offers family-to-family education classes for seniors who want to learn how to better support their loved ones with mental illnesses.