Brookdale Pensacola

Reviews of Brookdale Pensacola

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Pensacola

September 29, 2015

By James113939850

Brookdale Pensacola was a nice community, but their rooms were very small. I saw the residents and they seemed lively and happy about their condition there.

August 30, 2015

By Sheila Houghton

They have wonderful care for my mother. They stay on top of things and constantly keep me informed of any changes. They have very caring employees and caregivers.

August 26, 2015

By Willie Dunavin

It's great here. I have thoroughly enjoyed my 3 years of stay!

August 05, 2015

By Betty114973650

My mother is treated very well in Brookdale. She really enjoys the people and all the activities. All the personnel are very friendly and always ready to please.

July 13, 2015

Brookdale Pensacola was updated and pretty. The rooms were spacious, real clean, and they have different room sizes. I was very impressed with it. Everybody was very nice. The dining room was nice and updated too. It was probably one of the better ones that I saw. They have an activity room, a garden, and an area where you can sit outside. They have a porch area. The door is locked, and you have to buzz to come inside.

January 24, 2015

I have visited because my mother had some friends there. It is a very nice place, and her friends over there are very happy. My mother did not have a problem with it at all, but she is looking for some thing with more of an open area to visit, and if it is not really open, it is more like a hotel for her. It is very clean, and it seemed old, but I didn't see any rundown at all. The staff seemed attentive, the apartments were very nice and comparable to other places, and they were spacious enough. The dining area looked very nice, and it looked like they had a lot of help there.

December 22, 2014

By Lanell1

I have my mother placed here. This one is close to my home. The rooms/apartments are wonderful. This is the only facility I visited, and I'm so happy with it. Everything worked out. The cost works for us. It is beautiful. They have just redone the hallways and the community area. They decorated and repainted it; it is really nice. I have tried their food, and it is OK. They have a chef there, and he tries to accommodate what they need. The staff is wonderful. I'm very pleased with the care my mother is getting.

December 15, 2014

By Becky26

Everybody was very nice. It was very small, which is what he prefers. It seemed to be very clean. The assistant director was very nice and informative. They have a large living room where families could visit. Their dining room was on the small side. I saw a couple of residents on the front porch, and they were very friendly, speaking to me as I went in. They have speakers from churches and from the nearby college. They have exercises, Bingo, and classes.

September 22, 2014

They had all kinds of things. I was impressed that every hallway, practically, had a list of groups that you could join, and bingo. It's a very relaxed and just like home facility, and I like smaller sometimes because you can get to know the people well. They have a bus that would take people to their doctor's appointments.

September 12, 2014

By Caring94203650

Is fine, but we just can’t afford it. They’ve got three or four different sizes of rooms. They mentioned that they have activities. They have arts and crafts and card games. They have two menus each day and they have a salad bar. It would give my wife a wider variety that she could eat.

June 26, 2014

By Tonya5

It is wonderful and really nice. My mom has been there since March. The staff is wonderful. But now she's soon going to be out of the level of care that they offer. The room we got her is large and very nice. We're pleased with it. However, they could improve on their accessibility. When I called them on the phone, it took me like two days to get in touch with somebody.

June 23, 2014

The staff was very friendly and actually had a lunch for us to meet some of the residents. A case worker showed us two of the rooms that had an opening. They had a Jack and Jill bathroom as well as private bath. They had vans or individual people that drive the residents for their doctor’s appointments. It was very thorough and nice. It was very clean, well ventilated, and they had a lovely exercise pool that was very nice. The residents told me they love it there.

May 09, 2014

By Charlene15

It was very nice and clean; there were no smells in it. They were my second choice for my mom. The staff who assisted us during the tour was very nice. They were very pushy though. I liked the place but didn’t like that they were pushy.

April 11, 2014

By Kathy80870250

I like the layout. It's very clean. It seemed like a really good staff. They have a very busy calendar, and everybody looks happy. I like the fact that even though they're assisted living, they have some nurses there, so that's good.

March 27, 2014

It is a very nice facility. The rooms are clean and spacious. The staff are very nice and friendly, but my mother died, so we would not be able to put her in there.

February 24, 2014

By Paula I.

I visited last November. They took time to explain everything to me, they gave me a full tour. This is one level so he wouldn't worry about finding a stair or elevators or trying to find buttons if he couldn't breathe. It was clean, reasonable, very open but with locks on the door. They said there were a few residents so it was small and personal. They gave me a brochure that lets me know he is eligible for some VA benefits that we did not know about. It was an eye opener and beneficial to him financially. They showed me different units for the different sizes and the cost. They also gave me the lay out, the current price and the cost that it would go up to in January. They were extremely helpful. They had a dining room, It wasn't really big. I just liked it that it was cozier than a large facility. I saw the residents come out to the common area. They were watching TV together, the music playing was from their generation. They had painting classes and some of the artworks on the walls are from the residents and they were very nice. Also, they had karaoke days and puzzles on game day. This is my first outing into a facility and I am very impressed.

January 29, 2014

By Janice27

I really liked it and I liked the girl who showed me around. She was so sweet, welcoming and was so nice. I really appreciated that.The only thing I don't like about it was how you have to come out into a busy street. It's sort of down under, like you go down a little hill and it's hard coming out. I know it would be hard for me to get out of there and I don't wanna give up my car yet. I still drive. There's no other way to come out except that one, other than that I really like it. What I really like about the apartment I saw is how you can see at these big windows because of the way it's built. The dining rooms looked like a nice place to eat. I like that everything's on the first floor and I can take my little dog out to the yard. It would be very convenient for that. It's really a nice place. I didn't find anything wrong with it except with where it's located.

November 27, 2013

By Maria25

It is a wonderful facility. It's not a huge place so it's more cozy. The lady in change was very caring and very loving. She took me around and showed me the different rooms that are available. She also showed me the garden and it was very nice. She was a very, very nice person. The rooms were nice. They have the small ones and they also have the bigger ones. It depends on how much space you want. The dining area was also nice and they can eat there with everybody or they can also eat in their room. They do all kinds of activities there so that the residents don’t get bored. The residents get together to play games and watch TV together. They were conscientious and very caring. I can't say anything wrong and their prices are pretty reasonable also.

September 26, 2013

By Brenda20

We liked it because it was very nice and clean when we visited there. If he could afford the facility, we already placed him there. The food was good and the residents were friendly. It was a really nice place. What we liked best about this facility is the safety and the way people cared.

September 19, 2013

By Kent4

It was a nice place. The person that was supposed to meet me wasn't there when I arrived. I did get a chance to walk around and see a room and the dining area. The people that were there were very helpful. The room I was shown was very nice and well decorated.

August 28, 2013

By John47482750

It is very nice and generally clean. They offer suites where there is more than one room. This facility basically offers mid level of care. They don't have advanced Alzheimer's care but with what they do, they are doing a very good job. The staff is very nice. They do pretty well with the residents there. They are very attentive and caring, which is good. The facility does tend to get rid of staff members that are not very good. However, they don't take Medicaid. They only take private insurance or personal payments. That's the thing I would like them to change that they should take Medicaid especially if somebody runs out of money.

August 27, 2013

By Merle H.

I visited for my husband. It was in a beautiful city. The facility was very nice-looking and very clean. They have very nice ground. You'd think you were out in a resort area. People there seemed very nice. The staff showed us to one of the rooms that my husband would have and it was nice.

September 17, 2012

By lauraisren

The facility was well designed, with a central courtyard that many rooms looked out on. Many residents cut across the courtyard to reach their rooms on the far side of the facility because the weather was nice. The dining room was large, and was set up like a nice restaurant. All the employees I interacted with were professional and nice, and seemed to care about what was going on with the residents. The individual rooms were fairly small, but adequate. Some people have roommates, so they have larger rooms. All rooms had private bathrooms. They have scheduled group activities for those that are interested, and the employees made the effort to try and get residents involved. The holiday decorations were a nice touch. The parking lot was a bit small, but that was only an issue because of the amount of people visiting during the holidays. The facility is on University Parkway, which is a very busy road, but I did not notice any noise issues while inside.

Questions about Brookdale Pensacola

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Pensacola. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

With an average age of 83, most of BP’s population radiates a young-at-heart vibe. Walking club is often accompanied by upbeat jams and impromptu dance sessions. Some other favorite activities include shopping, exploring the city, hosting parties, and the ever-competitive Quarter BINGO. Friendships become family, and when age slows one of our residents down, they are still embraced as valued members of the community.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Pensacola offer to enrich residents' well-being?

BP offers activities for all levels of engagement. In addition to daily fitness opportunities, residents are offered multiple opportunities to enjoy church services, musical entertainment, outings (including out of state), memory & brain stimulation, holiday celebrations, and times to be involved independently in parallel with others. Residents that enjoy working alone may stop by the Gallery or Activities Room and bring items back to their apartments. BP frequently partners with local groups to bring a variety of entertainment to the community.

What places are near Brookdale Pensacola or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Although located on a fairly busy parkway, the community is less than 1 mile from University Town Center, where residents can find shopping and dining options such as Publix, Target, Kohl’s, Chick-Fil-A, Starbucks, Panda Express, Firehouse Subs, Panera Bread, along with branches for Wells Fargo and Regions Banks.

What transportation services does Brookdale Pensacola offer to assisted living residents?

The community’s wheelchair accessible bus is often on the move, transporting residents to and from activities & outings, as well as to individual scheduled doctor’s appointments on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Residents that drive and own a vehicle may park it anywhere in the community’s parking lot. If needed, the community also assists residents in coordinating with 3rd party transportation (taxi, Lyft/Uber).

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Pensacola exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Residents can expect a nutritious, well-balanced menu that includes food from all walks of life, which THEY help design. Seasonal or local tastes, family traditions, special memories, or holidays are all incorporated as part of the dining experience. Our menus are approved by a dietician with the aging adult in mind. Residents have multiple outlets to share ideas for new or different menu options, in a way that they are comfortable with, including Menu Chat Meetings, the Resident Suggestion binder, comment cards, and directly with staff. Our Dining Service Coordinator leads a strong culinary team that understand the importance of food safety, honoring resident preference, offering a variety of options, and being open to feedback & making adjustments. Everyone in BP’s dietary department are Certified Food Protection Managers.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Pensacola offer to assisted living residents?

Community safety is one of the top priorities at BP. We prepare physically and mentally for situations that may arise. Multiple emergency pull cords are located in all of the apartments, as well as strategically around the community. Pendants (necklaces or bracelets) are offered but not required. Exit doors have a primary and secondary security system. We detect for both smoke & carbon monoxide and our fire systems are monitored by a 3rd party for the quickest response if ever needed. Due to our geographic location, we maintain preparations for natural disasters year-round. All associates are routinely in-serviced and trained for real life situations, to ensure that when time is of the essence, staff respond rather than react.

How does Brookdale Pensacola keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Open communication with calls from community as needed, scheduled and impromptu family meetings, emails to families en masse for upcoming events or community updates, and texts & emails with ED and HWD if family’s preference.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Pensacola during daytime and nighttime hours?

Brookdale staffs to the direct needs of our residents. Every resident receives an individualized care plan that provides detailed information about the care needs of the resident. This system collectively provides the amount of staffing needed to provide the best care for our residents. This always meets the state regulations and most often exceeds the recommendation of state

If Brookdale Pensacola accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Accepts pets. Lovely landscaped outdoor courtyard.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Our pets are welcome in all areas of the community, with the exception of where food is being served. We ask that pets are on a leash at all times in the common areas, but allow them to go off-leash in the central courtyard to allow them to exert energy & have fun. In addition to dogs and cats, BP accepts most domesticated animals as pets.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Pensacola provide to protect residents who wander?

Community doors are secured at all times, operated by Brookdale associates. The Health & Wellness Director assesses residents for signs of wandering behaviors, and implements additional interventions as appropriate. All associates are trained in identifying wandering behaviors, and effectively communicating with these residents.

Photos of Brookdale Pensacola

• Staff Patient Ratio: 25 To 1

• Licenses: Florida Assisted Living License
  • State Licenses: AL9354

About Brookdale Pensacola

Brookdale Pensacola provides assisted living residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living, we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each resident at our community the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the appropriate accommodations as their needs change.

Map of Brookdale Pensacola