Brookdale Santa Barbara

Reviews of Brookdale Santa Barbara

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale Santa Barbara

April 14, 2016

By Sharon S.1

Brookdale Santa Barbara was very dark and dated. It smelled and was just disgusting. It’s totally unacceptable for my mom and nowhere as clean as the other places we saw. There was rubbish by the doors in the back. The chef took us around. The people were very nice, but I felt that the way it was laid out was far too confusing and very depressing. It went around in a big circle of halls. My mother would have never found her way around. I wouldn’t want her there.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. By giving us your feedback, you are helping us to understand what we do well and what we could focus on improving. Please be assured your feedback will be reviewed and used to help better serve our residents and their families.

April 06, 2015

By Cheryl104613650

For me, Brookdale Santa Barbara was the closest, and I had my mother evaluated for another facility. What came out of the evaluation was that she needed memory care. And this facility does only memory care -- Alzheimer's and dementia. I like it because it is small, they only have 38 people, and there is a lot of personal care. You get to know the people as you see the same people all the time. My mother hasn't been there long enough yet for me to give a clear evaluation on her care. There are a couple of things I saw that I am not pleased with that I need to addressed, and then I'll know. My mother seems to be happy there; she said everybody is nice. Both times I was there, I ran into patients, and they were the ones who recommended the place. They said that they like it and that my mom would like it there too. So the attitude from the patients was very positive. My mother is in a shared room, and it has the most space I ever saw in a shared room because it is almost like a private room; they just share a bath. She actually has her own private space, and everything that was in her room at home is in her room now. I sat with my mother while she ate. The food looked good, it smelled good, and it was plentiful. Actually, it was a lot of food. She couldn't eat all the food they gave her and even declined dessert because she had enough food. They gave them snacks very regularly. I have seen them come around often with snacks and something to drink. They seem to be very attentive. The dining room is very nice because it is like a private dining room. They have two different dining rooms, and each dining room has like 20 to 25 people in it. It is much more personal with table cloths and cloth napkins -- very nice. I noticed too that her laundry was getting laundered regularly, so that was also good. It is very secure, and visitors cannot even get in and out unless somebody buzzes them in. You ring a bell, and somebody has to come and let you in. When you want to leave, you have to find somebody to let you out, so you cannot go in and out on your own. The people that I went through the interview with were very helpful and very friendly. The other thing I noticed was that the daughters of the other patients were very involved in the care. I went in on weekends and another daughter was doing the activities with the people. They do take the people out in the public rooms with activities. They don't leave them sitting around in their rooms.

August 10, 2013

By Pat110

I went on a tour and the facility looks nice. The rooms were of average size and they are clean. The staff are very nice. They had a nice area outside where the residents can hang out under the trees and they also had a popcorn machine located outside.

December 07, 2011

By Arnoldsdaughter

I very much liked the layout and decoration of this facility. It was arranged in a circle which was good for my father who wandered the halls alot: he could walk continuously without hitting a dead end. Some of the rooms were very homey such as the room with the pool table for the guys, the tv lounge and the kitchen where they would have afternoon baking sessions. The staff were very friendly to the patients and to the guests and many of them were there for several years - consistency is good. They also had a very active hobby room, some birds. The location is convenient for visiting and near to doctors for appointments. My father's room was a nice size and his personal things were respected. The communication with myself and other family was very good. I liked the way they separated patients at meals who needed more assistance from those who were more independent. My father was disturbed at times by being around those who were less functional so this was a good way to shield him from this and give him more of a feeling of being in his own home and not a hospital. Over the years of his decline he was in many facilities and this was the one I felt was the best experience for all of us.
See all Memory Care reviews (8) See fewer reviews

Photos of Brookdale Santa Barbara

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Santa Barbara

• Features Extra: Library, Secure Building

• Tai Chi

• Spanish

• Licenses: LNS

About Brookdale Santa Barbara

At Brookdale Santa Barbara we know that memory losses due to Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia are progressive and residents' needs are continually changing. That's why we provide balance in our residents' capabilities, personalities, and preferences to create daily routines that enhance their spirits and increase their sense of purpose. We believe the amount of satisfaction our Alzheimer's and dementia care residents receive from the tasks that fill their days goes a long way to maintaining their sense of purpose and overall satisfaction with life. An integral part of this is our promise to encourage each resident to find Daily Moments of Success. To help our residents achieve these moments, our associates receive the tools and training needed in such key areas as specialized dining and the ongoing monitoring of healthcare and behavioral needs, to name a few.

We provide Alzheimer's and dementia care residents with the lifestyle, housing, and services they need in comfortable surroundings combined with the amenities, programs, and care to help stimulate recognition, recall, and wellness in a safe environment. Through years of caring for individuals with dementia, our professional care staff has learned to create optimal surroundings and approaches to care. Familiar environments that our residents have enjoyed throughout their lives are recreated to help them feel reassured and comfortable. The Alzheimer's and dementia care programs at Brookdale Santa Barbara are built to embrace, not restrict our residents' desire to wander and to provide a sense of belonging.

Map of Brookdale Santa Barbara