Alta Vista Senior Living

Reviews of Alta Vista Senior Living

Assisted Living Reviews for Alta Vista Senior Living

July 17, 2020

By Ann

I've been here in Alta Vista since June 2020 and I love it here. They're very friendly, community is great and everything is very pleasant. I have a patio door with a balcony and I'm looking out at a garden with flowers and lots of green grass. The place is exceptionally clean. Our activities director is just amazing. She also has an associate who is just as marvelous. I don't have any complaints about the place; it is amazing. Our chef is tremendous and he wants to know if we enjoy any of the meals or not. We have a nurse on staff that follows through with everything. They are truly remarkable. Any time anybody has complaints, they talk to the management and the situation is remedied immediately. Activities are tremendous. When I make suggestions, they are mostly followed through. Activities are non-stop. We don't have to spend an hour in our room after breakfast time if we don't want to. There is so much going on. There is a shopping day on Monday. Across the street, there is a large grocery if you don't want to go to Wal-mart. We also have doctor runs twice a week. Many of our staff members are working a lot of extra hours. These are the ones that have been here for quite a while now. The chef works with your diet. I was interviewed by a nurse before I came here wanting to know what medicines I took and how independent I was and I like that process. Laundry is done once a week. I would also give a 5 for housekeeping; they are doing everything exactly the way I want it done. If I don't want something done, they don't bother with it and they let me do it. For my money, this is the best situation. We have a program where if you're not sure about the place by just looking at it, you can stay here for a week, 2 weeks or any length of time you might want. The payments are month to month. Many people that I have here met have stayed here just during the time off where they are recuperating from surgery or such, which is an ideal situation. It is such a great place to recuperate. It is much cleaner than just going to a facility that takes people that need recuperation. We have everything going for us here. It is perfect because if you feel it is lacking, you talk to the right person, and it is taken care of.

Hello, thank you for your positive review, we are grateful to see that you feel this way! We strive to provide excellent care and service to our residents and their families at Alta Vista Senior Living. Thank you again, we hope you have a wonderful day!

July 13, 2020

By KM

My dad is now at Alta Vista since February. His room is great. The staff is overburdened but great. They're all super wonderful but they've got too much to do and not enough time to do it. Some caregivers are serving meals but they should be doing medical things. My dad does bingo. They do a couple of games, which my dad has been doing more and more recently. Also it is beautiful there; they do a good job with the cleanliness of the place. I like the food; it is pretty good. The place and the people are great. However, I would give them 3. My dad needs to take more showers than he does and he needs a lot of encouragement and sometimes he needs to be forced to shower and to change his clothes, but they do not do that nearly enough there. My dad is dirty every time I see him there. He is happy, he is well fed, he is engaged, and he is shaved but he is not clean, which is a problem for me.

Thanks for your review. We would love to hear more about your experience, so that we can use your valuable feedback to deliver an even better experience next time. Please reach out with any further comments or suggestions you wish to share. Again, thank you for taking the time to review our community.

July 09, 2020

By DM

My mom is a resident of Alta Vista for two weeks now. She likes it, it is great, and it is very clean, but I haven't seen the dining area because they're on the COVID. Residents are dining in their rooms. My mom has a nice room. The staff is great and very friendly. They know what they're doing. They have bingo, there is a women's network, and there are arts and crafts. They're very friendly. It has been a great experience and I would recommend them.

Thank you for your positive review, we appreciate your feedback! We always strive to provide top quality service and care to every resident and their families. We are so are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience here at Alta Vista Senior Living. Thank you again, we hope that you have a wonderful day.

June 15, 2020

By D. Fernandez

We loved it. Can’t wait to see it when remodelling is completed. The sisters loved the location. Thank you so much.

May 19, 2020

By MDexter

Thank you all! You are all amazing, kind, generous people. I'm thankful for each of you and how you treat my mom. We found the best care home there is!

February 10, 2020

By Ann

A+ friendliness, taking time for our needs. A+ food, attractive presentation, clean. A+ making a point of using first names thus conveying an atmosphere of family and “constant friendliness”. A+ well organized and supervised activities. A+ comfort and caring and variety. A+ interesting trips and entertainment.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, your opinion is very important to us. Did you know we have a Facebook page with pictures of our residents and their interesting activities? (The link to the Facebook page is on our website.) Please feel free to contact with any and all questions. We hope you have a wonderful day and we hope to see you at one of our upcoming activities!

November 29, 2019

By Cindy

Alta Vista Senior Living was getting ready to renovate their facility when I visited. The only reason I decided not to put my dad there is because I didn't like how depressing the dementia unit was. It was really dark and small. I didn't like the dementia unit, but the rest of the place seemed nice. The staff was friendly. The dining area was small. The assisted living facility was laid out nicely, and the price was good. They had a sheet of activities available, and they have a bus that takes them places. I love the location because it's right off the freeway.

Hi Cindy, thank you for your review, we want to let you know that we take your comments seriously and we are sorry to hear that you did not have a more positive experience. We strive for 5 star reviews and when we come short of this goal we like to address the situation immediately. Our team strives daily to the best of our ability to deliver an excellent experience and we take great pride in what we do. We are always striving to improve our service to the senior living community and appreciate your constructive feedback. We would welcome the opportunity to talk with you further regarding your experience and even re-schedule a return visit so that we can show you just how committed to all our residents and staff we really are. Please contact us at your earliest convenience. If you do not chose to do this, we hope that you find the community that best fits your father's needs and that you are happy in the community you choose. We thank you for your consideration and welcome you both back at any time.

June 07, 2019

By Donna L W

As soon as I walked into Alta Vista Senior Living, I felt very comfortable. The lobby and front room is bright and airy. Sherrie (at the front desk) and a few residents wished me a warm welcome. As I walked through the facility, staff members (assisting residents) greeted me. I had the pleasure of meeting with Holly (Sales Director) and David (Executive Director). It is evident that they care about their residents.

Hi Donna, We always strive to provide top quality service to every resident and their families, and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience here at Alta Vista Senior Living. Did you know we have a Facebook page with pictures of our residents and their interesting activities? (The link to the Facebook page is on our website). Please feel free to contact with any and all questions. We hope you have a wonderful day and we hope to see you at one of our upcoming activities!

April 12, 2019

By Carlsbad Mom

The staff work extremely hard - but they need help. More communication needed from executive director.

Hi, thank you for taking the time to share your review, your opinion is very important to us. Did you know we have a Facebook page with pictures of our residents and their interesting activities? (The link to the Facebook page is on our website). Please feel free to contact with any and all questions. We hope you have a wonderful day and we hope to see you at one of our upcoming activities!

April 12, 2019

By Bellaniss

Caring staff who feel like an extension of my family in their care and concern for my mom.

June 30, 2018

By FPR

The marketing director at Vista Village was great and answered all of our questions. They're very warm. She showed us pretty much everything. We looked at the dining room, the recreational room where they do activities and music, and a couple of rooms, which were dark and depressing. It wasn't to our liking.

It's upsetting to hear that you did not receive the top-notch service we strive to provide. Thanks for bringing this matter to our attention.

November 03, 2016

It was nice. It was kind of old inside, and it was on a very busy street right near the freeway. The people were very nice, but it wasn’t for us. They had amenities like movie theater and a room where they could do puzzles. They had the outdoor where you could walk around or sit outside. The sizes of the rooms were OK. Most of them were like a studio type. Everybody was very nice. The décor inside was kind of old. It was very nice, but it wasn’t for us. The location and the time frame were not for us right now.

We appreciate your feedback! We always strive to provide top quality service to every resident and their families, and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience here at Alta Vista Senior Living.

February 15, 2016

By Happy Daughter16

My impression was very good. The rooms were beautiful, but the place was a little outdated. Everybody was friendly. The furniture in the facility, in general, needs a little updating; even the chairs and tables in the dining room were outdated.

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We are proud to share that we are now under new ownership and would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We regret that you felt the facility needed to be updated, and have used your review as an opportunity to improve. We are currently improving the community and we are sure you will agree that our changes are all for the better! We are extremely proud of our community and staff and invite you in to see how we have changed for the better.

August 30, 2015

By Glen6

We are looking to place our aunt in Vista Village because we like it. The staff was very informative; she showed us around, she showed us the different rooms and the activities, and she also let us know that they had a transition section besides having the assisted living and the memory care. They had a transition section where our aunt could go and still be around those that are in assisted living and where she could have a little more freedom before she deteriorates more and has to go into the memory care permanently. The apartments were some of the biggest I've seen; they were nice and large apartments. The food was good. I ate with a couple of their residents in the assisted living, and the residents that we ate with had nothing but good things to say about it. They said that they had checked out a number of different places and had chosen Vista Village as the place that they want to live at, so they had picked out Vista Village themselves. The dining room was nice, the food was good, and the service and staff were very polite -- the staff that were coming out and serving the food. What impressed me most was when I sat down with the residents, and they had nothing but good things to say about the place and the staff. These residents had picked out this place themselves to live at; it wasn't picked out for them like we have to do for our aunt.

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us this feedback. We are so happy to read such a great review about Alta Vista Senior Living!

November 19, 2014

It is close to where my mom lives. We were looking for a place that would be close. The woman who showed me around was very pleasant and knowledgeable. The rooms were nice, and I know that my mother would be happy there. The dining room was nice; it had tables and chairs. There weren’t any activities, but she took me to a room that had a big screen TV where they could watch TV, and she showed a place where they could work like physical therapy, and she took me to the dining room; it was really nice.

Hi, thank you for taking the time to share your review, we are now under new management and invite you back for a tour. Please feel free to contact with any and all questions. We hope you have a wonderful day and we hope to see you at one of our upcoming activities!

August 28, 2013

By Martin7

The staff was courteous. They gave me a tour and let me know what the price was. They showed me the type of rooms and equipment for my wife. The rooms were very clean and everything seemed to be in good order. However, they do not meet my request as my wife had diabetes; they do not administer medications nor do blood pressure. I would recommend this facility to other.

Hi Martin7, thank you for your positive review, we are grateful to see that you feel this way! We strive to provide excellent care and service to our residents and their families at Alta Vista Senior Living. Thank you again, we hope you have a wonderful day!

Memory Care Reviews for Alta Vista Senior Living

January 26, 2016

By A Loving Wife2

My husband is here. He likes the facility. He has an apartment. The staff is very warm and very caring. They seem to be very able to take care of him and help him out. The food is good and he likes it. I most certainly recommend them. They are good. Everything is fine. He is doing well there and he is happy there.

A Loving Wife2, thank you for your kind review; we are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at Alta Vista Senior Living!

March 19, 2013

By Barbara19

I chose this community for my uncle. It seem to be very clean. He is in an apartment with his own bathroom. He loves the food and the people. All the patients seem to be happy there. He is 100% better than when he went in and seems to be happy where he's at. They have activities for him and for his memory. Everything is fine.

Thank you for your kind review; we are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at Alta Vista Senior Living!
See all Memory Care reviews (6) See fewer reviews

Questions about Alta Vista Senior Living

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

We utilize subject matter experts to provide the latest education on dementia care. We partner with local and national organizations such as Alzheimer's Association, Alzheimer's San Diego, the Glenner Center, and others.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Alta Vista Senior Living. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

We are a vibrant group of active seniors. The average age is 71 and we enjoy music & dancing & happy hours & socializing & outings to the beach and restaurants nearby.

What programs or activities does Alta Vista Senior Living offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We offer a multitude of programs that delight the masses. From intellectually stimulating to the silly, our comprehensive activities program encompasses it all. Church services, concerts, magicians, current events, movie nights.....you name it, we've got it.

What places are near Alta Vista Senior Living or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

We are only a few miles from the sandy beaches of Carlsbad. We also are near Tri-City hospital and several skilled nursing facilities. Located in a predominantly residential area, we also have great restaurants nearby.

What transportation services does Alta Vista Senior Living offer to assisted living residents?

We have a comfortable and reliable van that provides transportation to and from physician offices, post office, financial institutions, as well as scenic drives and rides to the beach, activities nightlife and restaurants nearby.

What makes the chef or dining program at Alta Vista Senior Living exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Executive Chef Miguel is a master. Our residents enjoy an array of fresh foods, made with attention to flavorful detail. We really enjoy our dining experience here at Vista Village Senior Living.

What safety features or security measures does Alta Vista Senior Living offer to assisted living residents?

Safety is of great importance to us. From ensuring our grounds are well kept and stumble free, our main areas are kept free of clutter and in good repair. Life alert pendants are available. We also offer a secure environment for those prone to wandering.

How does Alta Vista Senior Living keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Communication is key! We hold regular care conferences in a more formal setting, and we call, email, text and utilize social media to keep family and friends in the loop about all the fun we are having here.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Alta Vista Senior Living during daytime and nighttime hours?

We staff based on care level, so this fluctuates depending on care needs of our residents at any given time. We are staff 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our highly trained nurse manager is on site a minimum of 40 hours per week.

If Alta Vista Senior Living accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We love our furry friends at Vista Village Senior Living and are considered one of the best pet friendly assisted living communities in north county (yes, I just made that up, but I believe it to be true). WE LOVE OUR PETS! We have an abundance of outdoor areas for our animal companions on all sides of the building.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

We believe training, initially and ongoing is key to providing the best possible care. All staff is trained upon day one of hire, and inservices are held regularly on a variety of topics such as dementia, pressure injuries, diabetes education, and more. We make the learning environment a fun and hands-on experience. We often enlist our residents to help us train! We have some residents that rather enjoy being the test subject, so our employees get hands-on experience with things such as transferring an individual from a chair to a bed, for instance.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

We have caregivers and medication technicians on location 24/7.

What safety features or security measures does Alta Vista Senior Living provide to protect residents who wander?

We want to ensure the highest level of independence for our individuals that may have a tendency to wander. A secure area is provided for those that need the additional safety measure. We also employ wander guards that will provide an audible alarm to alert staff that the person may be 'on the move'.

What programs or activities does Alta Vista Senior Living offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Pacifica Senior Living offers a robust activities program staffed by an activities director and an activities assistant. Group activities including, but limited to, exercise, gardening, movies, baking, putting golf, and singing are scheduled seven days a week from 9:30 am through 6:00 pm. Additionally, individual one-on-one activities, such as manicures and jewelry making, are ongoing throughout the day. Long-term memories are engaged through activities specific for long-term stimulation and reminiscing with memory books. Other activities include, but are not limited to, live music, dance groups, birthday parties, dance parties, ice cream parties, and holiday parties.

It is a coordinated effort with the team and family, headed by our onsite LVN. Our Resident Services Director will assess residents’ health and cognitive functioning on an ongoing basis, but no less than every 90 days or upon observable change of condition. We take a multidisciplinary approach and look at the whole person.

What techniques does Alta Vista Senior Living use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Many persons with Alzheimer’s disease or a related dementia can find mealtimes challenging. Some techniques we employ include redirection when the resident becomes preoccupied or uninterested in eating, verbal encouragement, hand-over-hand assistance to get the process of eating started, as well as maintaining a calm and unhurried pace in the dining area. If finger foods make it easier for the resident, finger food will be provided. Utensils and other hardware that assist the resident to most easily eat independently can be utilized as well.

How does Alta Vista Senior Living keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

At 30 days after move-in and every 90 days thereafter following the assessment by the nurse, a Care Conference is conducted between the family or POA, Associate Executive Director and resident if they wish to attend. Intermittently, health concerns are communicated as they may arise.

Describe the neighborhood around Alta Vista Senior Living. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

The grounds of our Legacies neighborhood are lovely, with ample outdoor patio and courtyard space, and areas for walking and sitting outside. The community is situated conveniently and nicely between Tri-City hospital, many restaurants, as well as backs into an established residential neighborhood.

Is Alta Vista Senior Living affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Alta Vista Senior Living Legacies is less than a quarter mile away from Tri-City hospital and nearby Skilled Nursing Facilities.

Costs for Alta Vista Senior Living

Photos of Alta Vista Senior Living

Services and Amenities of Alta Vista Senior Living

• Pets: Yes

• Personal Care Assistants

• Licenses: RCFE

About Alta Vista Senior Living

At Alta Vista Senior Living, life happens according to plan - a comfortable, dynamic, detail-oriented plan. Daily activity is the result of proven practices, systems, standards and an organization that has been refined by experience. You'll notice the calming structure that comes from master planning with your very first visit. Similar to the motivation of our residents, we strive for balance: activity is balanced with quiet spots, fine dining with casual flair, full-service programs with a la carte freedom.

We know that for some of our residents, retirement living is all about relaxing with a good book and a glass of lemonade, but if you want to get up and go and be part of the action, Alta Vista Senior Living is the place. Virtually every day, activities and outings abound throughout the community. There are exercise groups and local day trips, live entertainment and music enrichment, cultural activities and sports action. Of course, you can take it all in at your own pace and your suggestions and preferences are what help us fine-tune the programs to fit the community. So when you're ready to get up and go, there are plenty of options.

We love what we do and it shows. People are pleasantly surprised at the array of vibrant activities and amenities here. We often hear, “Oh, this is so wonderful!” The expectation is often that we are going to be clinical or sterile, like a hospital, so people are delighted to see that we are a beautiful, tight-knit family environment that is wonderfully welcoming.

Map of Alta Vista Senior Living