44 Assisted Living Facilities near Desoto, TX
There are 44 Assisted Living Facilities in the Desoto area, with 6 in Desoto and 38 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Desoto is $2,670 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Lancaster with an average starting cost of $2,312.
To help you with your search, browse the 164 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Desoto. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Desoto 4.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Midlothian with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Desoto, call (855) 863-8283.
6 Assisted Living Facilities in Desoto, TX
38 Assisted Living Facilities near Desoto, TX
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Desoto
DeSoto, Texas is a small but growing suburb in the bustling Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. The DeSoto Senior Activity Center is a popular spot for seniors, who make up 17 percent of the population in DeSoto. This vibrant community is nice place to retire into assisted living — of which there are 60 total assisted living facilities in the DeSoto area. The Texas Department of Health and Senior Services licenses and monitors these assisted living facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Desoto
- North Texas is known for long, hot summers and mild winters. Seniors who are sensitive to the heat may not enjoy living here.
- The cost of living in DeSoto is 98, based on a U.S. average of 100. Housing and grocery costs are slightly below the national average. However, health care expenses are noticeably higher than the national average - seniors with chronic health conditions should take note.
- The overall crime rate in DeSoto is lower than the national average. However, property crime is notably higher. Although seniors in assisted living may not be vulnerable to package theft or car break-ins, they are still advised to care for their belongings.
- Eligible DeSoto residents are able to use the STAR public transportation in the city. In addition, Uber and Lyft both service the area. The Dallas Area Regional Transit system offers reduced rates for seniors.
- The DeSoto area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Methodist Medical Center and Texas Health Systems hospital branches, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- DeSoto is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Desoto
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Desoto start around $2,670 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Desoto and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Desoto
The Texas Department of Health and Human Services can help seniors find assisted living homes in DeSoto within their budget and that provide the level of care they require. Seniors who receive Medicaid or Medicare benefits, or who receive SSI income, may be eligible for assisted living financing. The STAR+PLUS serves specific areas of the state, providing an alternative to nursing facility placement and also covers the cost of assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Desoto
Desoto and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Desoto, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Desoto
Desoto-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Desoto, TX
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Desoto
Review of Deer Creek Senior Living
Deer Creek Senior Living was a really nice facility, but my friend doesn't have enough money to pay for it. I saw ladies playing cards. It smelled clean and fresh. The dining area looked clean and ... Read more
Review of Rising Sun Residential Care Facility
Rising Sun Residential Care Facility was a house and I liked it a lot. The residents were friendly and nice. The bedroom was spacious, nice, and had plenty of closet space. They have the hospital s... Read more
Review of Professional Care Facility
Professional Care Facility is very good. The place is very clean and the staff is friendly. They met all our expectations. They don't offer a lot of activities, but Mom is more of a person who just... Read more