Brookdale Waxahachie

Reviews of Brookdale Waxahachie

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Waxahachie

July 23, 2014

By 112340

My wife was moved to this facility a little over four and a half years ago. When I first visited the facility it passed the smell test and still does and after talking to staff members I decided to move her there. Wise choice. She has received better care than I could ever hope to give and she like it there. It was recently voted the best in Waxahahcie and there is a reason for that. I have visited many facilities and this is the best of the best. One thing that sold me on this place was that you cannot just walk in you must be let in and the same for leaving.

May 20, 2014

Sterling House is the perfect place for my dad. It is a nice and lovely place. They are doing a good job taking care of him. The food is good. They have 4 attendants 24/7 taking care of probably 16 to 18 guests there, and they are very good.

February 26, 2014

Sterling House was good. They had small rooms but the staff was nice and helpful. I walked through when people were eating but I didn't really notice anything. They have ice cream socials, bingo and arts and crafts. I had my parents' long term care policy and the person that I met with couldn’t really interpret it. It may not be something that they do but she led me to believe that she could if I would bring it and then when I did, she really couldn't understand whether it was covered or not so we're going back to Prudential to find out. It's an older policy so that's maybe why but that's why I would take off just a tiny little bit just because I thought that she would be able to tell me right upfront. But overall, she was very nice and very helpful.

October 15, 2013

What I remember most about the Sterling House of Waxahachie-Brookdale Senior Living is their cooking. Their food was very good. The place was very nice and clean.

June 11, 2012

By commercesd

The Sterling House of Waxahachie assisted living facility was a very nice looking community. The backyard area featured many nice areas to enjoy with residents, friends and family - with lovely trees and well manicured lawns. We liked the home-style atmosphere that can handle all levels of ambulation. We thought my brother's friend would like the interior design, which was very clean and easy to navigate. Each room had nice views with good colors, fresh air and light. The food looked and smelled delicious, and was prepared healthily. The main dining room had comfortable furniture with a nice decor. The residents receive healthy, home-style cooked meals in a restaurant setting. The private rooms were nicely designed and decorated tastefully with lots of light and air. Each unit had pleasant views of surrounding areas. Bathrooms were safely designed and a nice size. The menus had the usual fare, plus some interesting dishes. It was clear that the dietician and chef take the time to make appetizing meals. Snacks are offered throughout the day and when residents request them. The fitness center includes yoga and aerobics exercise classes. The equipment was easy to access and residents are encouraged to exercise daily. They can also safely navigate the lovely garden courtyards and pathways. The calendar of events included many stimulating activities to enjoy all that the region has to offer. The residents all looked well cared for seemed to really enjoy living in this environment. We would recommend that anyone searching for a place located in the vicinity for their loved one check it out.

June 12, 2011

By SladeCute

Friend or relative of resident

Both of my parents moved into Sterling House in August 2010. The staff quickly became extended members of our family. My father passed away in December 2010. He was given excellent care physically and emotionally. The staff helped us through his last days and the days following his death. Truly like a family. My mom lives there still and has dementia. They are well trained in her condition and she loves the staff. They go to great lengths to make all the residents feel at home and part of the Sterling House family with parties, good food and lots of activities. I highly recommend Sterling House of Waxahachie.

Questions about Brookdale Waxahachie

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Our team engages in monthly in-service training related to dementia programming, de-escalation and redirection techniques. Additionally, our regional dementia care specialists supports the staff training as needed for our current resident population.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Waxahachie. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Our residents are engaged in the community. Many of them need care with ADL's, but are ambulatory or self propelled with assistive devices. Our residents enjoy playing games, engage in Veteran's group, or enjoy the beautiful courtyard.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Waxahachie offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We are pet friendly! The residents enjoy spending time in our courtyard or visiting with each other during a game of bingo or crafting. We have a book club and veterans group as well as an avid football following.

What places are near Brookdale Waxahachie or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Nearby, residents can access shopping centers, grocery stores, fast food restaurants and dollar stores.

What transportation services does Brookdale Waxahachie offer to assisted living residents?

We offer transportation for our residents using our 12 passenger bus. We also use our bus for resident outings throughout the week.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Waxahachie exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our dining services manager has a passion for serving and takes pride in every meal. Our residents have said that our dining room experience is pleasant, with spacious seating and delicious meals. Our residents have the opportunity to enter menu requests that we honor within 10 days.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Waxahachie offer to assisted living residents?

Our exterior doors in assisted living and memory care are secure with delayed egress and secure after hours (with a doorbell for entry after hours).

How does Brookdale Waxahachie keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Our executive director communicates updates via email, phone and text to our family members. Families can also follow us on social media to see pictures posted daily.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Waxahachie during daytime and nighttime hours?

Our care to resident ratio depends on our resident care needs. At Brookdale, we staff according to acuity, not residents. If our residents need more time for care, we add staffing hours to meet the needs of the resident population. We meet and most often exceed the state minimum requirements for staffing.

If Brookdale Waxahachie accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We are pet friendly and accept cats/dogs with security deposit and pet fee.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Our team engages in monthly in-service training based on the state requirements and unique needs of our current resident population.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

Our staffing is calculated based on the care needs of our current resident population. We meet and often exceed the state minimum requirements by supplementing staff hour based on the current resident needs.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Waxahachie provide to protect residents who wander?

We offer an attached memory care unit within our community. In the assisted living, we have secured doors with doorbell for after hours entry.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Waxahachie offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Our memory care offers the Brookdale Daily Path: a program that supports the dementia residents with a structured daily routine that provides stimulation for every stage of the disease and supports autonomy and active engagement. Our residents enjoy crafts, games, cooking and an array of other engaging programs throughout the day.

Our memory care nurse completes an assessment every 6 months or upon change in condition to ensure our residents have the care and support needed as they progress in dementia. We also gain support from our district clinical nurses and our dementia care specialist.

What techniques does Brookdale Waxahachie use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

We provide management in the dining room at all meal times. Our associates are instructed in safety practices for dementia care meal times. Additionally, our dining team customizes each residents food consistency based on the physician's orders.

How does Brookdale Waxahachie keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Our executive director communicates through email, text and phone calls to our families. Our care team also communicates through phone calls as needed. Our families can also follow us on social media to see pictures of residents and activities happening at the community.

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Waxahachie. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Our community is located off of Hwy 287 and Brown Street, in the heart of Waxahachie. We are ideally located.

Is Brookdale Waxahachie affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Brookdale is not affiliated with a specific hospital; however, our location is close to several major hospitals and medical offices.

Photos of Brookdale Waxahachie

• Memory Care Training

• Licenses: Type B
  • State Licenses: #000902

About Brookdale Waxahachie

Brookdale Waxahachie provides assisted living residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living, we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each resident at our community the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the appropriate accommodations as their needs change.

Map of Brookdale Waxahachie