35 Assisted Living Facilities near Penn Hills, PA
Also serving communities of Verona.
There are 35 Assisted Living Facilities in the Penn Hills area, with 2 in Penn Hills and 33 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Penn Hills is $2,696 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 177 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Penn Hills. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Penn Hills 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Oakmont with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Penn Hills, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Penn Hills, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Penn Hills
Penn Hills is located on the Allegheny River and is part of the Pittsburgh metropolitan area. As a Live Well Allegheny Community, the city is committed to improving the health and wellness of its residents. Pen Hills is home to a sizable senior population, with almost 20 percent of the municipality's 41,000 residents aged 65 and over.
Seniors in Penn Hills who are looking for some help with daily activities while remaining mostly independent can find accommodation at one of the 34 assisted living facilities in the area. Known as Assisted Living Residences (ALRs) in Pennsylvania, these facilities are licensed and monitored by the Department of Human Services' Office of Long-Term Living.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Penn Hills
- The Penn Hills area is home to world-class medical facilities, including LifeCare Hospitals of Pittsburgh, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The overall cost of living in Penn Hills is 86.5 on the Sperling index. This is 13.5 points below the U.S. average, which is largely due to the low cost of housing. Everyday expenses like groceries and healthcare are also lower than the national average, which may help seniors who are on a fixed income.
- Seniors may find Penn Hills' cold winters challenging. The average low temperature in December is 21 degrees and the city gets around 28 inches of snow each year, 2 inches more than the U.S. average. Penn Hills only has around 162 days of sunshine each year, 43 fewer than the national average, which may disappoint seniors looking for a sunny retirement.
- Allegheny County, including Penn Hills, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- The Port Authority provides public transit in Penn Hills and riders aged 65 and over who have a valid ID can ride for free on all Port Authority vehicles. ACCESS Paratransit also provides a door-to-door, shared-ride service which seniors may wish to utilize.
- Allegheny County, including Penn Hills, has poor air quality. The county received failing grades for all three categories measured in the State of the Air 2018 report. Seniors may find that this adversely affects their health, especially if they have an existing respiratory condition.
Paying for Assisted Living in Penn Hills
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Penn Hills start around $2,696 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Penn Hills and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Penn Hills
The Optional State Supplement (OSS) offers financial assistance to seniors in Penn Hills who receive income from Social Security.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Penn Hills
Penn Hills and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Penn Hills, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Penn Hills
Penn Hills-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Penn Hills, PA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Penn Hills
Review of Brookdale Penn Hills
I visited Brookdale Penn Hills for my grandfather. It was very clean and very nice. I did not interact much with the staff, except the salesperson, but he was very helpful and friendly. Read more
Review of Allegheny Place
My mother is in Allegheny Place. It's nice because it's all on one floor. There's a lot of space where they can walk around. The middle of the place is like an outdoor garden and the building goes ... Read more
Review of Allegheny Place
Allegheny Place was a lovely place. The director of the facility was very knowledgeable about the place. They were doing some light exercise courses when we were there right in the main lobby, and ... Read more