15 Assisted Living Facilities near Medina, OH
There are 15 Assisted Living Facilities in the Medina area, with 8 in Medina and 7 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Medina is $3,215 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,465. Cheaper nearby regions include Wadsworth with an average starting cost of $3,000.
To help you with your search, browse the 64 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Medina. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Medina 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Brunswick with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 7 families in Medina find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Medina, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Medina, OH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Medina
A small city in Medina County just 33 miles south of Cleveland and 23 miles west of Akron, Medina, Ohio is home to nearly 29,000 residents, 13 percent of whom are aged 65 and older. This small community has seven assisted living facilities within the city limits and 49 more in nearby areas like Brunswick and Strongsville.
In Medina, as well as in the state of Ohio as a whole, assisted living facilities, also known as residential care facilities, are monitored and licensed by the Ohio Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Medina
- Medina's weather is nothing to write home about, with an average of 44 inches of snow and 166 days of sunshine annually. Summers are warm, with highs averaging 83 degrees, but winters get chilly, averaging 19 degrees in January. This could limit the amount of time seniors spend outdoors.
- The cost of living in Medina is 11 percent higher than the national average, which could make it difficult for seniors with low or fixed incomes to find affordable options for things like health care and groceries.
- Crime is lower than average in Medina; in comparison to the national average of 237.9 crimes per 100,000 people, Medina had just 112.1 in 2016.
- Medina is a largely beneficial destination for seniors, with a marginal tax rate of 2.97 percent. Social Security distributions aren't taxed, but withdrawals for retirement accounts are fully taxed as ordinary income.
- The city of Medina is served by Medina County Public Transit, a small county agency with limited bus routes around the greater metro area. Rides for seniors are discounted, costing just $0.75 per ride.
- The Medina area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Cleveland Clinic - Medina Hospital and University Hospitals Medina Health Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Medina
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Medina start around $3,215 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Medina and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Medina
In Medina, seniors who qualify for Medicaid may be able to take advantage of Ohio's Medicaid expansion programs for financial assistance for assisted living, including the use of the Ohio assisted living waiver program. Medina County is also among the 29 participants in the MyCare Ohio program, an additional care plan under Medicaid. Ohio also has a Residential State Supplement (RSS) program to help seniors cover assisted living costs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Medina
Medina and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Medina, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Medina
Medina-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Medina, OH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Medina
Review of Elmcroft of Medina
My dad moved into Elmcroft of Medina. So far we've visited him outside, and it was kind of nice that we could see him, but other than peeking through his bedroom window I have no idea what the insi... Read more
Review of Brookdale Camelot Medina
I am a resident of Brookdale Camelot Medina. It has been OK, but I'm quite a bit younger than most of the residents here, so it is a little difficult. They provide three meals a day, but right now,... Read more
Review of Brookdale Medina South
I stayed at this facility for several months following a fall and rehab stay. It was like a breath of fresh air! The staff is so friendly and responsive - I felt right at home. The other residents ... Read more