9 Assisted Living Facilities near Wilmington, NC
With an average cost of $2,600 in Wilmington, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 41 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 8 facilities in Wilmington.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Wilmington, NC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Wilmington
Wilmington sits on North Carolina's Atlantic coast, making it a scenic place to call home. The city is so picturesque, in fact, that it is often referred to as Hollywood East, thanks to the more than 400 movies and television shows that have been filmed there. Seniors looking to call Wilmington home can select from nine assisted living facilities in the city, with two more nearby. Assisted living facilities, or adult care homes, in Wilmington and throughout the state are regulated by the North Carolina Division of Health Service Regulation.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Wilmington
- Seniors looking to escape the snow will enjoy Wilmington's moderate climate. Average high temperatures in the winter reach the 50s and 60s, while temperatures rise to the upper 80s during the summer months. The area has an average annual snowfall of just 1 inch.
- Wilmington's cost of living is just above the national average. It's also about 17 percent higher than the state average. As a result, seniors might notice assisted living facility costs are higher as well.
- Wilmington's public transportation system, Wave, includes fixed route buses, shuttles and a downtown trolley. The Dial-a-Ride Transportation (DART) program offers accessible van service for seniors unable to ride the bus.
- Seniors looking for art and cultural experiences have plenty of choices in Wilmington. The area is home to the Cameron Art Museum, the Gallery of Fine Art and the Wilson Center, which hosts Broadway plays and other performances.
- The Wilmington area is home to world-class medical facilities, including New Hanover Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Wilmington has an array of community resources for seniors, including the New Hanover County Senior Resource Center, an organization that offers exercise and physical fitness classes, nutrition education, volunteer opportunities and transportation to seniors in the area.
Paying for Assisted Living in Wilmington
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in North Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Wilmington start around $2,785 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Wilmington and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Wilmington
Seniors seeking financial assistance for assisted living expenses can access one state-based program. North Carolina's Medicaid program includes payment for personal care resources, including assisted living facilities, for eligible seniors. Monthly payments through this program are capped based on the senior's income level.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Wilmington
Wilmington and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Wilmington, please visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Wilmington
Wilmington-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in North Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Wilmington, NC
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Wilmington
Review of Spring Arbor of Wilmington
My wife was at Spring Arbor of Wilmington. They were pretty good. She complained about some of the personnel not being very friendly with her, but at that time we thought she had dementia. Also my ... Read more
Review of New Hanover House
Mother was a patient in memory care. Rooms are slowly disintegrating, dingy and dirty. Mother urinated on floor, and had cut herself. We reported to staff. It took over 30 minutes to get get a re... Read more
Review of Spring Arbor of Wilmington
I went to Spring Arbor of Wilmington and I was happy with the place. They had an activities director, they had a room for activities, and they had a movie room. I met one or two people that were in... Read more