14 Assisted Living Facilities near Hickory, NC
Also serving communities of Hildebran, Granite Falls.
There are 14 Assisted Living Facilities in the Hickory area, with 5 in Hickory and 9 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Hickory is $2,595 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 57 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Hickory. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Hickory 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Newton with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Hickory, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Hickory, NC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hickory
Hickory, North Carolina, is home to the Hickory Aviation Museum, which preserves and displays artifacts from the Golden Age of aviation. In addition to history, seniors can explore the arts, shop, dine and choose from five Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs) within city limits, and 21 in the surrounding area. ALFs within the state of North Carolina provide medication management, personal care services and 24-hour supervision to seniors in a group residential setting. The facilities are referred to by the state as Adult Care Homes and are licensed by the NC Division of Health Service Regulation (NCDHHS).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hickory
- Hickory is home to a four-season climate with mild summers that yield an average high of 88 degrees, and cold winters that average a low of 28 degrees. There is only five inches of annual snowfall, so seniors may still be active all year round.
- Hickory’s crime rate is higher than the national average, at 43.8 out of 100 (1 being the safest), compared to the U.S. average of 31.1. The property crime is rated at 70.6, which is quite a bit higher than the U.S. average of 38.1.
- Seniors have ample opportunity for getting around in Hickory. Access to the Greenway Public Transportation system at reduces rates allows seniors to get out and shop, dine, or go to doctor’s appointments throughout the city.
- Seniors may find that they can more easily save up for entertainment due to the cost of living in Hickory being 12 percent lower than the U.S. average.
- Hickory is a city full of art and history, and seniors can experience it all at the Hickory Museum of Art free of charge. Some may enjoy a visit to the Greenroom Community Theatre which hosts plays all year round and offers a discount for seniors.
- The Hickory area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Catawba Valley Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Hickory
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in North Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Hickory start around $2,595 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Hickory and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hickory
North Carolina Medicaid is available for qualified low-income seniors and can assist in covering the costs of assisted living facilities. In addition to this program, the State-County Special Assistance program may be available to eligible seniors who do not have Medicaid.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Hickory
Hickory and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Hickory, please visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hickory
Hickory-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in North Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Hickory, NC
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Hickory
Review of Brookdale Falling Creek
Brookdale Falling Creek is a nice and clean place. They have good people, but our problem was that they couldn't really provide what my mom needed. She can't get to the bathroom by herself at this ... Read more
Review of Brookdale Falling Creek
Interactions with head administration was not professional. Poor and unexceptionable response or followup on concerns for resident's care and safety. Some staff were qualified and performed duties ... Read more
Review of Kingston Residence of Hickory
Kingston is a wonderful option for senior living. The rooms are apartment style and are very nice, the staff are attentive and kind, and the residents seem genuinely happy. Their dining room area i... Read more