A suburb of Philadelphia, Burlington, New Jersey, is a city on the shores of the Delaware River that’s home to over 9,700 residents. More than 18.7% of the population is in the 65+ age group, which is about 2% more than the national average. The city’s appeal may lie in its below-average health care costs, low property crime rates, easy access to high-quality medical facilities and inexpensive transportation. Seniors in the city also enjoy numerous parks, diverse entertainment facilities and scenic surroundings.

Assisted living is a form of senior care suited to people who want to remain independent but need some help with routine chores, such as cleaning their homes. The typical cost for assisted living in Burlington is $7,478 per month, which is about 11% above the New Jersey average. The fee typically covers private accommodations and staff to handle housekeeping, meal preparation and medication management duties. Most facilities also organize daily activities for residents, and some include convenient amenities, such as beauty salons.

The rest of this guide will consider the advantages and disadvantages of living in Burlington and the likely costs for various types of senior care in the area. It also lists some helpful resources for seniors.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Burlington, NJ

2013

Masonic Village at Burlington

902 Jacksonville Rd, Burlington, NJ, 08016

I took a tour of Masonic Village at Burlington. It was very well put together and it looked very homely. The rooms are well decorated, so it’s not as lonely because they’re not home. The person who as … (read more)

2015

Granville Place

111 Sunset Road, Burlington, NJ, 08016

I toured Granville Place for my father, and it was a nice facility. I went through everything and talked to different people, and they even introduced me to some of the people that were there. I like … (read more)

Complete Care at Marcella

2305 Rancocas Rd, Burlington, NJ, 08016

Complete Care at Burlington Woods

115 Sunset Rd, Burlington, NJ, 08016

My mother had a stroke and was being discharged to rehab. My sister and I toured the facility with an administrator who looked us in the eye and lied to us about policy. We were interested in open doo … (read more)

The Birches at Newtown

70 Durham Rd, Newtown, PA, 18940

My mother is doing good at The Birches at Newtown. We like it very much. They all take it very personally. They treat my mom like their grandmother. The staff members are good. They take care of every … (read more)

2014, 2015

Sunrise of Lower Makefield

631 Stony Hill Rd, Yardley, PA, 19067

Sunrise of Lower Makefield is very, very clean. I did not smell any type of urine. Tom was the one who toured me around and he was excellent. I told him that the place almost had a cruise ship vibe. T … (read more)

Woodbourne Place

2619 Trenton Road, Levittown, PA, 19056

I had many visits/phone calls with Iris and Tom trying to get my Dad a room at Woodbourne Place. Unfortunately, my Dad passed before we were actually able to move him in. We did tour Woodbourne and … (read more)

Holland Village

280 Middle Holland Road, Holland, PA, 18966

I went to Holland Village. It was very sterile and hospital-like. They were in the process of doing renovations, and they were taking up the carpets and using a tile floor instead. It gave me a very h … (read more)

Symphony Manor of Feasterville

1730 Buck Rd., Feasterville Trevose, PA, 19053

It is beautiful and very clean. The grounds are beautiful; it’s very green. The staff was very nice and the menu looked diverse. They were doing some kind of an exercise type of activity with a large … (read more)

Wesley Enhanced Living Pennypack Park

8401 Roosevelt Blvd, Philadelphia, PA, 19152

My mother-in-law is in Wesley Enhanced Living Pennypack Park. Once I spoke to the people in charge there, I had a really good feeling. They took me on a tour and we knew immediately that this would be … (read more)

The Clare Estate

201 Crosswicks Street, Bordentown, NJ, 08505

My mother-in-law was at an assisted living in Bordentown called The Clare Estate, and it was wonderful until she started with her dementia. The facility itself was nice. They had a lot of activities f … (read more)

Holy Redeemer Lafayette

8580 Verree Road, Philadelphia, PA, 19111

What we liked about Holy Redeemer Lafayette was that it was very homey. A lot of places that we looked at were like hotels and we just felt like this was more to our liking. They have both independent … (read more)

Heartis of Yardley

255 Oxford Valley Road, Yardley, PA, 19067

Excellent caring facilities. The staff goes above and beyond to assist residents and family members are kept informed. The dining service and food are outstanding, and the physical therapy service i … (read more)

Brookdale Florence

901 Broad Street, Florence, NJ, 08518

Brookdale Florence was fabulous. They were terrific there. It looked very appealing to me, the people were watching a movie, and other people were waiting to go to a cooking class. The residents looke … (read more)

Chandler Hall

99 Barclay Street, Newtown, PA, 18940

After what I saw & my family experienced, I would not in good conscious recommend Chandler Hall’s rehab wing/nursing home, or assisted living wing to anyone (I can’t speak to their independent liv … (read more)

Legacy Gardens of Bristol

2022 Bath Road, Bristol, PA, 19007

My mother is living in the Legacy Gardens of Bristol. She seemed to like it. They have doctors on staff, so she doesn’t have to leave the facility to go see a doctor. They need to upgrade their activi … (read more)

Pickering Manor

226 North Lincoln Avenue, Newtown, PA, 18940

Pickering Manor looked beautiful, but I think I only spent five minutes the whole time there. They didn’t even really want to show me around. I was only able to see the rooms because I forced them to … (read more)

Allegria at the Oaks

6400 Hulmeville Road, Bensalem, PA, 19020

Everything with Allegria at the Oaks has been good. I worked with Leah, she’s one of the directors there. Any time I have questions about anything, she calls me back and they give me all the answers. … (read more)

Riverview Estates

303 Bank Avenue, Riverton, NJ, 08077

My dad is at Riverview Estates. It’s nonprofit; it’s not a big corporation. It’s more like a family. It’s close to home, so on my way home from work, I can stop, I can see him, and hang out for a half … (read more)

CareOne at Moorestown

895 Westfield Road, Moorestown, NJ, 08057

CareOne at Moorestown was extremely nice. We had a nice tour. I thought they had a lot of things going for it. I was seriously considering them, but my father passed away, so it wasn’t necessary to … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Burlington

The New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services licenses assisted living facilities in New Jersey. The department is also responsible for regulating the sector across the state and monitoring facilities to ensure that they continue to comply with licensing requirements.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Burlington

• According to Sperling’s Best Places, the average cost of living index for the U.S. is 100, which means that Burlington is slightly more costly as its index is 104.4. However, the city is much more affordable than many parts of New Jersey as the state’s average is 120.4. This is particularly noticeable when comparing health care cost indices where Burlington scores 87.3, which is a little below the state average and significantly lower than the national one.
  • Burlington’s crime statistics are a tale of two halves. On the negative side, violent crime is more common than in the typical city. However, on a positive note, property crime is below the national average yet slightly above the state average. Generally speaking, neighborhoods that don’t border the Delaware River, such as Deacons and Springside, experience less crime than those that do. Seniors concerned about crime should also know that many assisted living facilities employ 24-hour surveillance and usually have a staff member nearby.
  • There are over 100 hospitals within a reasonable distance of Burlington, including the Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, which is ranked 13th in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The main medical facility within the city is the Southern Jersey Family Medical Center. Approximately 18 physicians registered to treat Medicare beneficiaries also work in Burlington.
  • Although Burlington typically gets 11 inches of snow annually and experiences winter temperatures around 23 degrees in January, its climate is generally favorable to seniors. The city usually has summer temperatures of 87 degrees and 207 sunny days per year, which is a little above the U.S. average. Rainfall is 10 inches above average at 48 inches. This enriches the soil and keeps the surrounding landscape lush and green.
  • Burlington County residents aged 60 and over can arrange for Sen-Han Transit to take them to weekday nonemergency medical appointments. On Tuesdays, for $2 per one-way trip, the service takes seniors to shopping destinations, such as the Moorestown Shopping Mall.

Paying for Assisted Living in Burlington

As revealed in the 2020 Genworth Cost of Care Survey, Burlington’s seniors pay more for assisted living than their peers in most other areas of New Jersey. The typical price difference is $828 per month. Their costs are also significantly above the U.S. average of $4,300 although this isn’t surprising as New Jersey is one of the nation’s top 10 most expensive states.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Ocean City offers the most affordable assisted living in the region with fees of around $4,945 followed by Vineland at $6,523. Crossing into Pennsylvania doesn’t make much of a difference. Philadelphia’s fees are about halfway between the other two cities at $5,550.

$7478

Vineland

$5550

Philadelphia, PA

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Adult day care centers, the most affordable type of senior care in Burlington, typically charge $1,788 per month. Care delivered at home costs more, usually around $4,910 for home care and another $47 if medical support is included. Facilities that offer accommodations and care range from assisted living at $7,478 to nursing homes where a private room is likely to cost $11,999 per month. However, it’s also possible to find semiprivate rooms for around $10,783.

$4910

Adult Day Health Care

$7478

Assisted Living Facility

$10783

Nursing Home (semiprivate room)

$11999

Nursing Home (private room)

Note: Data for Burlington was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Trenton, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Burlington

The New Jersey Department of Human Services, Division of Medical Assistance and Health Services administers the Medicaid Managed Long Term Services and Supports program under the Comprehensive Demonstration Waiver. Eligible Burlington seniors are entitled to services coordinated through FamilyCare managed care organizations. Assisted living, community residential services and nursing home care are covered by this program.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in New Jersey

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Burlington

Seniors in Burlington have access to various resources that can help address different needs. The following examples of what’s available can help military veterans get medical services, provide a way of helping the community or assist seniors who have concerns about their care providers.

Resource

Contact

Service

Located in Marlton only 20 minutes from Burlington, the Burlington County VA Clinic serves the medical needs of U.S. military veterans and their families. The facility provides primary care services and is staffed by dermatologists, audiologists, neurologists, optometrists and podiatrists. There are also mental health specialists to support vets with combat- and noncombat-related conditions. Patients in need of care not provided at the clinic are transferred to the Corporal Michael J. Crescenz Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Philadelphia.

The purpose of the Long-Term Care Ombudsman is to enhance the lives of seniors residing in assisted living facilities. This typically involves ensuring that seniors are fully aware of their rights and investigating complaints made by them, their families and third parties. If the complaint is beyond the ombudsman's reach, such as allegations of elder abuse, it's forwarded to the proper authority. Additional services include providing free inspection reports on facilities to help seniors make informed choices.

Seniors with spare time and a desire to help their communities should contact the Volunteer Center of Burlington County. It's a nonprofit organization focused on pairing volunteers with local charities and agencies that need help delivering free and subsidized services to those in need. The work is varied and may utilize seniors’ existing talents or require training. The volunteer may be asked to mentor a younger member of the community, pack food parcels for low-income families, do clerical work in an office or deliver meals to homebound seniors.

Managed by the Office on Aging, the ADRC is a multiresource agency for seniors in Burlington County. Its many services include advising seniors on money management matters, referring them to legal advisors who specialize in elder law and helping them plan for their long-term care futures.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Burlington

Burlington-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in New Jersey