7 Assisted Living Facilities near New Ulm, MN
Also serving communities of Lafayette, Gibbon.
There are 7 Assisted Living Facilities in the New Ulm area, with 6 in New Ulm and 1 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in New Ulm. On average, consumers rate assisted living in New Ulm 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in New Ulm, call (855) 863-8283.
6 Assisted Living Facilities in New Ulm, MN
1 Assisted Living Facility near New Ulm, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in New Ulm
New Ulm is located in Southern Minnesota's Brown County, and local seniors can visit the Minnesota Music Hall of Fame or the Brown County Historical Society on day trips with family and friends. The city is home to 13,237 residents and 19.1% of them are 65 or older. To accommodate seniors who need assistance with the tasks of daily living, such as grooming and eating, there are six assisted living facilities in New Ulm to choose from. In New Ulm and all of Minnesota, these facilities are required to register annually with the Minnesota Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in New Ulm
- In Minnesota, including New Ulm, seniors pay state income tax on retirement income, including Social Security benefits and withdrawals from government pensions. This may be a consideration for seniors moving here from more tax-friendly states.
- At 87.3, the cost of living in New Ulm is much lower than the state average of 106 and the national baseline of 100. This is driven by lower transportation, housing and healthcare costs that may be a boon to seniors on fixed budgets.
- At 11.4, New Ulm's violent crime is half the national median, and its property crime of 24.3 is nearly 11 points lower than the national average. Despite the low crime rates here, seniors may wish to ask staff members at prospective facilities what security measures, such as cameras and locked doors, are in place to protect residents.
- July highs average 83 degrees, but January lows drop to 5 degrees, making it difficult for seniors with conditions sensitive to the cold to get out and about during the winter. New Ulm receives 39 inches of snow each year, 10 more inches than the U.S. average, and 31 inches of rain, 7 inches more than the national median.
- According to the EPA, New Ulm's air quality is 5 points higher than the national median at 63. Seniors with respiratory ailments might breathe easier here than in cities with lower air quality ratings.
- The New Ulm area is home to world-class medical facilities, including New Ulm Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in New Ulm
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in New Ulm start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in New Ulm and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in New Ulm
Seniors in New Ulm and the rest of Minnesota, who meet income and asset guidelines may be eligible for financial assistance for assisted living services via the Elderly Waiver or the Minnesota Consumer Support Grant program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in New Ulm
New Ulm and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in New Ulm, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in New Ulm
New Ulm-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in New Ulm
Review of Ridgeway on German
Ridgeway on German is very nice and excellent. The staff member who helped me was very good and excellent. They usually have entertainment and stuff to do in the afternoon for the residents. As you... Read more
Review of Ridgeway on 23RD
Ridgeway on 23RD is big. The 1-bedroom we saw was OK. I was impressed with their dining room and their big outside porch area was wonderful because it kind of looks over the valley a little bit. It... Read more