15 Assisted Living Facilities near Moorhead, MN
Also serving communities of Dilworth, Hawley.
There are 15 Assisted Living Facilities in the Moorhead area, with 5 in Moorhead and 10 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 19 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Moorhead. Better rated regions include Fargo with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Moorhead, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Moorhead, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Moorhead
Moorhead is one of the largest cities in Minnesota and is surrounded by lush farmland, thanks to Moorhead's location in the basin of what was once a glacial lake. Whether seniors consider themselves city folk or country folk, they may find Moorhead to be a pleasant place to live. There are 15 assisted living facilities in the Moorhead area for seniors who cannot live on their own due to disabilities or other factors. Five of these facilities are in Moorhead itself and the other ten are located in the surrounding area, easily reached by car from the city proper. ALFs provide assistance with grooming, bathing, eating, medication management and general care for seniors. In Minnesota, assisted living facilities (ALF) are regulated by the Minnesota Department of Health and are held to a strict set of rules and standards.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Moorhead
- The cost of living in Moorhead, Minnesota is marginally lower than the national average. On the cost of living index, the nation as a whole scores a 100, while Moorhead scores a 96. This means that seniors may find everyday items and essentials more affordable here than they would in other cities.
- The crime rate in Moorhead is 14 percent lower than the national average and is considered to be safer than 51 percent of American cities. Seniors may find that these statistics will make them feel more secure in their residence.
- There are a myriad of options in Moorhead for seniors who enjoy art and culture. The Moorhead Art & Culture Commission oversees many art programs that are open to seniors and/or are easily accessible for those with disabilities.
- The weather in Moorhead is not always ideal for seniors. While the highs in the summer normally stay in the 80s, the winter months can be brutal, with temperatures topping out at only 22 degrees Fahrenheit on average.
- The air quality in Moorhead is 29 percent better than the national median. This, combined with the fact that Moorhead has 54 percent less pollution than the American average, makes Moorhead a great place for seniors with respiratory concerns, as they can breathe easier here.
- There are multiple transportation options for seniors in Moorhead. Valley Senior Services, for instance, provides rides for seniors in Moorhead, Minnesota and the surrounding Fargo, North Dakota Area, allowing seniors to reach doctor appointments on time or do their weekly grocery shopping.
Paying for Assisted Living in Moorhead
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Moorhead start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Moorhead and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Moorhead
Eligible seniors can apply for financial assistance for assisted living in Minnesota via programs like Minnesota Medicaid. They may also receive assistance from state programs such as the Minnesota Consumer Support Grant (CSG).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Moorhead
Moorhead and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Moorhead, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Moorhead
Moorhead-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.