Assisted Living Facilities in Fergus Falls, MN
Fergus Falls is a vibrant community widely recognized for its dynamic arts and culture scene. It’s home to the historic Orpheum Theater, which hosts live entertainment throughout the year, and it provides easy access via major roadways such as I-94 and U.S. Highway 59. A major hospital is located within the city limits, providing high-quality emergency, primary and specialty care, and an easy-to-use public transportation system makes the area simple to navigate independently without a private vehicle. The city’s low cost of living also makes it an attractive option for older adults, a demographic that accounts for a quarter of its 14,000 residents.
For many older adults in Fergus Falls, assisted living provides a balance between necessary care services and independence. Residents enjoy personalized care plans, daily meals and social and recreational programming, and they’re free to come and go as they please. Some communities are pet-friendly and have additional amenities such as libraries, game rooms and fitness centers. The Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey discloses that seniors in this city pay $4,623 per month for care, which is high compared to state and national rates.
This guide provides more in-depth information on the region’s benefits and drawbacks and how they affect those in assisted living. It also highlights senior care costs and features resources for local seniors and families.
Fergus Falls, MN Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in
802 SOUTH MILL STREET, Fergus Falls, MN, 56537
See Pricing for
is a Caring Star Community
Earning a Caring Star means this community is among the best Senior Living commuities in America.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Fergus Falls
The Minnesota Department of Health, Health Regulation Division, licenses and regulates assisted living facilities in Fergus Falls and the rest of the state. It conducts on-site inspections and surveys to ensure compliance with rules related to care planning, staffing and resident activities, and it provides up-to-date information regarding assisted living regulations.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Fergus Falls
- The Otter Express is operated by P.A.I., a nonprofit organization, and it provides public transportation services throughout Fergus Falls and nearby cities. The service is available on weekdays, and seniors can schedule rides up to two weeks in advance by calling the office. Door-to-door service and assistance with packages is available.
- Fergus Falls is home to Lake Region Healthcare, a hospital that’s consistently ranked among the best rural hospitals in the nation and among the top hospitals in Minnesota. There are about 100 fewer doctors per capita in Fergus Falls than in the typical U.S. city, which may impact wait times to see care providers. However, health care is very affordable in this city, with services costing about 15% less than in the nation as a whole, providing cost savings for older adults managing health conditions.
- Fergus Falls is a very affordable place to live, making it a good option for seniors with restrictive retirement budgets. Overall, living expenses are about 25% lower here than in the United States as a whole, which may correlate with competitively priced assisted living services.
- Property crime is more common in Fergus Falls than in the typical U.S. city, rating 52.7 on a 100-point crime index compared to the national rate of 35.4. Violent crime is considerably less common, however, scoring about 10 points below the national rate at 12.8. This may appeal to older adults seeking a safe community for retirement.
- Minnesota is among the few states that tax Social Security benefits along with all other types of retirement income, and sales taxes are relatively high compared to other states. Older adults with fixed incomes may have more control over monthly expenses by opting for assisted living.
Paying for Assisted Living in Fergus Falls
Seniors in Fergus Falls pay $4,623 per month for assisted living, making it a relatively pricey city for this type of care. Nationwide, assisted living facilities charge $4,300 for services, and in Minnesota, monthly care costs average slightly lower at $4,283.
The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities
At $4,623 monthly, Fergus Falls is among the costlier cities in Minnesota for assisted living. Even so, it’s an affordable alternative to the Minneapolis area, where rates come in at $4,797 monthly and Mankato, where fees average $4,968. In Rochester, rates are considerably more competitive at $3,105. In St. Cloud, monthly assisted living costs are nearly $2,000 lower than in Fergus Falls at $2,723.
The United States
The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care
While assisted living rates in Fergus Falls are relatively costly at $4,623, this is among the more affordable care types within the community. Seniors who want to save money may opt to live at home and attend adult day health care, which costs $1,040 per month. Home-based care is pricier than assisted living, with agencies charging $5,148 for homemaker services and $5,240 for home health aide services. Like assisted living facilities, nursing homes provide residential care, but they offer a higher degree of care and have higher monthly rates of $10,942 for semiprivate rooms and $11,110 for private rooms.
Home Health Aide
Adult Day Health Care
Assisted Living Facility
Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)
Nursing Home Facility (private room)
Note: Care cost data for Fergus Falls was not available, so data for the closest city, Fargo, ND, was used instead.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Fergus Falls
Seniors opting for housing with services (HWS) establishments with assisted living status in Hibbing may qualify for the Elderly Waiver (EW) for those who are eligible for medical assistance or the Alternative Care (AC) Program of Minnesota’s Department of Health.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Fergus Falls
Seniors in Fergus Falls can get support and guidance from various local and statewide programs and agencies. The following resource table includes information and referral specialists, benefits counselors and legal professionals who help older adults navigate their long-term care options and identify ways to pay for assisted living.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Fergus Falls
Fergus Falls-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
The Fergus Falls Senior Citizens Program is a local nonprofit organization that serves area residents aged 55 and over. At the center, members participate in congregate meals, diverse age-friendly exercise programs and games. The center also hosts monthly foot care clinics and movie afternoons, and it has a computer lab open daily.
Dancing Sky Area Agency on Aging offers programs to those aged 60 and over through its Senior Linkage Line, which older adults can call for information and referrals for nutrition services, transportation and options counseling. The agency also provides health insurance options counseling to Medicare beneficiaries.
The county’s Veterans Service office connects older veterans with benefits that can help pay for assisted living, including pension benefits and Aid and Attendance. It can also help veterans obtain community-based services such as transportation, social and recreational activities and financial planning.
Legal Services of Northwest Minnesota provides free legal advice, assistance and representation to those aged 60 and over in Fergus Falls. It also helps seniors obtain public benefits such as Medicaid and Supplemental Security Income.
The long-term care ombudsman can help older adults living in assisted living facilities and veterans’ homes obtain the quality and level of care they deserve. Seniors can speak to their local ombudsman about financial assistance options, as well as concerns related to care planning or substandard care.