5 Assisted Living Facilities in Fergus Falls, MN
Also serving communities of Breckenridge, Wheaton.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Fergus Falls. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Fergus Falls 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Fergus Falls, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Fergus Falls, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Fergus Falls
First founded as a fur trading post on the edge of the Northwest Territory in 1856, the Township of Fergus Falls lies a few hours northwest of Minneapolis-Saint Paul. The city currently has a population just under 14,000 residents—23.5% of whom are over the age of 65. The city has 5 ALFs serving this sizable portion of the population with 11 more in the surrounding area.
Minnesota has some of the most complicated ALF laws in the country. There are four categories of care facilities designated with responsibility for regulation being split between the Minnesota Department of Health and Minnesota Board of Ageing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Fergus Falls
- With highs in the low 80s, Fergus Fall weather is ideal in the summer for active seniors who enjoy the outdoors. However, winter lows that can regularly reach zero and an average of 47 inches of snowfall each year can make getting outside difficult.
- Fergus Falls has a violent crime rate of just 12.8, which is slightly lower than the state average of 15.7 and well below the national mean of 22.7. Property crime could be a concern to some seniors though as the city's rate is 52.7 versus the national average of 35.4.
- With a cost of living rating of 81 versus a national average of 100 and a state mean of 106.3, Fergus Falls offers seniors on restricted budgets distinct advantages in both grocery and healthcare expenses.
- With an EPA air quality rating of 79 versus the national average of 58, the air in Fergus Falls could be considered a big plus for seniors with sensitive respiratory tracts of lung conditions.
- Though small Fergus Falls offers seniors a variety of arts and cultural activities. The Fergus Center for the Arts host year-round events by touring musicians, theatrical and dance companies as well as art exhibits. The Kaddatz Art Galleries offer near-constant exhibits of local arts and crafts and nationally recognized artisans.
- The Fergus Falls area is home to world-class medical facilities, including nationally ranked Lake Region Healthcare, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Fergus Falls
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Fergus Falls start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Fergus Falls and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Fergus Falls
Most of the Medicaid programs in Minnesota focus on encouraging in-home care, but for those seniors needing more assistance and help in paying for ALF care, the Minnesota Housing Support Program is available.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Fergus Falls
Fergus Falls and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Fergus Falls, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Fergus Falls
Fergus Falls-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Fergus Falls, MN
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Fergus Falls
Review of The Mill Street Residence
We used Mill Street for temporary stay, about 12 days (respite), and it was great, Mom loved it. Read more