15 Assisted Living Facilities near Alexandria, MN
Also serving communities of Osakis, Barrett.
There are 15 Assisted Living Facilities in the Alexandria area, with 14 in Alexandria and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Alexandria is $1,900 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 11 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Alexandria. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Alexandria 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Alexandria, call (855) 863-8283.
14 Assisted Living Facilities in Alexandria, MN
1 Assisted Living Facility near Alexandria, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Alexandria
Alexandria, affectionately dubbed “Alex” (pronounced “Alek”) by residents, is a picturesque community that has been named among the nation’s top 10 small towns. It boasts over three dozen lakes, and its historic Downtown district has specialty shops and boutiques that draw shoppers of all ages.
Alexandria houses 19 assisted living facilities, 14 are located in the city proper and another five are in the surrounding region. All are required to register annually with the Department of Health and provide both supportive and health-related services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Alexandria
- Alexandria experiences mild summers, with highs around a comfortable 80 degrees Fahrenheit. However, winters may be harsh for seniors who enjoy being outdoors. The January low is just 1 degree Fahrenheit, and the city sees about 43 inches of snow a year, compared to the national average of 26 inches of snow.
- The cost of living in Alexandria is about 3 percent less than the national average, making this an affordable place overall for seniors. Seniors can expect to spend about the same on transportation and health care expenses here as they would in other U.S. cities, though groceries cost an average of 4 percent less.
- Alexandria’s overall crime rate comes in about 32 percent higher than the Minnesota average and 11 percent higher than the U.S. average. However, this is primarily due to the rate of property crime, which is 37 percent higher than the state average and 19 percent higher than the U.S. average. When it comes to violent crime, the rate is actually 11 percent below the state average and 44 percent lower than the national average.
- The Alexandria area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Alomere Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Alexandria is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Alexandria has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Senior Services of Alexandria, an organization that promotes a high quality of life for seniors by providing grocery shopping and meal services, transportation and social interaction, as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Alexandria
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Alexandria start around $1,900 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Alexandria and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Alexandria
Seniors may be eligible to receive financial assistance for assisted living through one of several Medicaid 1915(c) Waiver programs to pay for their care. Also, the Minnesota Consumer Support Grant program provides a cash grant for eligible seniors.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Alexandria
Alexandria and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Alexandria, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Alexandria
Alexandria-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Alexandria
Review of Diamond Willow Alexandria
My mother in law gas been there for several years now and the staff is excellent! Read more
Review of Nelson Gables
My dad likes Nelson Gables. His room is spacious and he says the food is good. The staff is very friendly and nice. They have different activities and they have an activity room with a big TV and n... Read more
Review of Vista Prarie at Windmill Ponds
Vista Prarie at Windmill Ponds was very good, although my mother needs more care than they can give. The staff was very wonderful, caring, thorough, and informative. They showed us spacious and wel... Read more