4 Assisted Living Facilities in Crookston, MN
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Crookston, call (855) 863-8283.
4 Assisted Living Facilities in Crookston, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Crookston
The small city of Crookston has an estimated population 7,800 and prides itself on being one of Minnesota’s safest cities. This college town provides active seniors with easy access to the Agassiz Recreational Trail, a 52-mile naturally surfaced trail ideal for hiking, biking, horseback riding and wildlife viewing.
When adults aged 65 and over, who comprise approximately 15.5% of Crookston’s population, need help with meals, housekeeping and medication management, four assisted living facilities in Crookston are available to choose from. The Minnesota Department of Health licenses and regulates assisted living communities in the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Crookston
- Crookston offers an array of community resources for seniors, including the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP), which provides a variety of volunteer opportunities for adults over age 55. The organization also offers services and programs specifically for seniors, such as the Bone Builders exercise program and the Groceries to Go shopping service.
- Retirees in Crookston live in one of the few states that tax Social Security income. Minnesota also taxes other forms of retirement income, such as public and private pensions, individual retirement accounts and 401(k)s.
- While Crookston seniors don’t receive tax breaks, they do enjoy an overall cost of living that’s approximately 17% lower than the national average. Seniors pay about 14% less for health care, 24% less for transportation and 7% less for utilities.
- The Crookston area is home to world-class medical facilities, including RiverView Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Crime rates in Crookston are lower than the national average, which may put seniors’ minds at ease. Using a 100-point scale, Crookston ranks an 18.5 for violent crime, while the U.S. average is 22.7. Property crime scores 20.4, which is significantly lower than the U.S. average of 35.4.
- Seniors who enjoy an active outdoor lifestyle should consider the harsh climate in Crookston that earns it a relatively low BestPlaces Comfort Index score of 6.3 out of 10. This means it’s one of the least comfortable places in Minnesota. January’s nighttime temperature can often drop to -3.1 degrees F, and seven months of the year has significant snowfall.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Crookston
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Crookston start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Crookston and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Crookston
Minnesota provides low-income seniors in Crookston with a variety of options for covering some of the personal care and room-and-board costs associated with assisted living. These include the Elderly Waiver, CADI Waiver and the MSC and MSHO programs as well as the Housing Support program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Crookston
Crookston and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Crookston, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Crookston
Crookston-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.