6 Assisted Living Facilities near Grand Forks, ND
Also serving communities of Larimore.
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Grand Forks area, with 3 in Grand Forks and 3 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Grand Forks is $2,456 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 6 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Grand Forks. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Grand Forks 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Grand Forks, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Grand Forks, ND
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Grand Forks
Originally called Les Grandes Fourches in the 18th Century by Canadian fur traders, Grand Forks is the third-largest city in North Dakota. Residents aged 65 and over make up only 11.3% of the more than 57,000 people who live here, but the city has a wealth of services and activities that benefit seniors.
In addition to the three assisted living facilities within the city limits, there are three more facilities located nearby. In Grand Forks and throughout the state, these communities are sometimes called basic care facilities and are regulated by the Department of Health and the Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Grand Forks
- Seniors who enjoy arts and culture will find that Grand Forks has a lot to offer. On the University of North Dakota campus, there's the North Dakota Museum of Art and several theaters where live music and plays are performed throughout the year. The Greater Grand Forks Symphony Orchestra performs regularly throughout the city, and The Empire Arts Center hosts a wide range of cultural events.
Cities Area Transit (CAT) provides local transportation with discounted fares for seniors in Grand Forks. Routes are available from as far west as I-29 to as far east as East Grand Forks. Air and rail long-distance travel is also available.
- The winter in Grand Forks can be very harsh which can be difficult for seniors who like to go outdoors often. The average low temperature in January is a frigid -3 degrees. Summer, however, is comfortable with highs hovering in the mid-70s to low-80s.
- The air quality in Grand Forks is very good, so seniors may feel more comfortable going outdoors without worrying that the particle pollution will cause any breathing problems. The EPA gives the city an air quality rating of 76 which is 18 points above the national average.
- Grand Forks has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Greater Grand Forks Senior Citizens Association, an organization that organizes games, trips, classes and other enriching activities for local seniors as well as more than two senior centers.
- The Grand Forks area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Altru Health System and RiverView Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Grand Forks
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in North Dakota
Assisted Living costs in Grand Forks start around $2,456 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Grand Forks and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Grand Forks
Personal Care Services (MSP-PC) is a Medicaid program that seniors in Grand Forks can use to help pay for assistance with bathing, dressing and some other daily activities while living in an assisted living facility.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in North Dakota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in North Dakota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Grand Forks
Grand Forks and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Grand Forks, please visit our Assisted Living in North Dakota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Grand Forks
Grand Forks-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in North Dakota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in North Dakota page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Grand Forks, ND
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Grand Forks
Review of Wheatland Terrace
My parents are at Wheatland Terrace now. It is really the only one that makes sense for us. It seems like it has about everything that we were looking for. They have different rooms of different si... Read more
Review of Edgewood Parkwood
I visited Parkwood Place. The rooms were fine except that they didn't have dishwashers. The staff was pretty good. They could have been better. They were not excellent, but they were OK. The food w... Read more