3 Assisted Living Facilities near Shelby, MI
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Shelby area, with 2 in Shelby and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Shelby is $3,802 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,420. Cheaper nearby regions include Burton with an average starting cost of $2,726.
To help you with your search, browse the 8 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Shelby. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Shelby 2.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Burton with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Shelby, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Shelby, MI
1 Assisted Living Facility near Shelby, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Shelby
Shelby is a rustic resort community in Oceana County, surrounded by national forest and close to the shore of Lake Michigan. The county surrounding the small township of Shelby is home to over 26,000 people, nearly 21% of whom are seniors aged 65 and over. Seniors in Shelby have the option of moving into any one of the area's nine assisted living facilities.
In these communities, seniors get daily assistance with regular activities, such as personal care and meal preparation. Most assisted living communities in the state are licensed, regulated and inspected by the Michigan Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Shelby
- The weather in Shelby is seasonal and sometimes very cold. Mild summer highs in Shelby average 79 degrees, while overnight lows in winter average 15. The warmer months in Shelby bring up to 37 inches of rain, while the cold season often sees up to 84 inches of snow. Seniors with asthma or COPD may be affected by the high pollen count that goes with the spring rainy season.
- The cost of living in Shelby is somewhat lower than the national rate. Across all categories of common personal costs, residents of Shelby pay roughly 19% less than the national average. Seniors in Shelby pay 11% less for healthcare than the national median.
- Crime rates in Shelby are very low in all categories. Taking all types of crime together, the local rate is only about 30% of the national average for communities the size of Shelby. Seniors are especially safe from violent crime in Shelby, where rates are significantly lower still.
- Public transportation in Shelby is in the hands of SMART Bus, which provides on-demand transportation for seniors and their attendants within a 10-mile radius of their start locations. Passengers must book door-to-door service at least 2 days in advance, while riders with disabilities are asked to book at least 6 days before their appointment.
- The Shelby area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Lakeshore Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Shelby has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Oceana County Council on Aging, an organization that provides nutritional services, as well as three senior centers.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Shelby
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Shelby start around $3,802 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Shelby and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Shelby
Seniors in Shelby who need help with the monthly cost of assisted living may qualify for financial assistance from the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program, to which Michigan adds a small extra stipend. Participation in SSI in Michigan automatically qualifies seniors for Medicaid.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Shelby
Shelby and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Shelby, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Shelby
Shelby-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Shelby
Review of Best Home Care
My mother has dementia/Alzheimers. She was in this group foster home with five other residence for 16 months. The owner promised when we moved her in that she would have stimulation, physical and... Read more