53 Assisted Living Facilities near Cambridge, MA
There are 53 Assisted Living Facilities in the Cambridge area, with 4 in Cambridge and 49 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Cambridge is $5,200 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 275 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Cambridge. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Cambridge 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Somerville with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Cambridge, call (855) 863-8283.
4 Assisted Living Facilities in Cambridge, MA
49 Assisted Living Facilities near Cambridge, MA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Cambridge
Cambridge, located north of Boston near the beautiful Charles River, is where artistic, eclectic and intellectual people converge among the "Squares of Cambridge," historical neighbors each with their own ambiance, offering a variety of food, music, art, museums, theatres and shopping for residents and visitors of all ages.
Seniors make up 11 percent of population in Cambridge and have six assisted living facilities (ALF) in Cambridge to choose from. Another 54 assisted living communities are located nearby in communities including Brighton, Needham and Chestnut Hill. Assisted Living Residences (ALRs), as they're known in Massachusetts, are regulated by the Executive Office of Elder Affairs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Cambridge
- As home to both MIT and Harvard University, Cambridge is at the heart of a world of educational opportunities and arts and culture experiences. Seniors can take advantage of lectures, entertainment and other events open to the public.
Cambridge's weather can be challenging to those not accustomed to it, especially during the winter when nor'easter storms bring heavy snow and rain. Fog occurs year-round, and summers can get hot, though temperatures are cooler during all seasons if you're near the ocean.
- As part of the greater Boston area, the cost of living in Cambridge is quite high, running almost double that of the national average. This can make it a difficult place to live for seniors on a budget.
- Most neighborhoods in Cambridge, especially near the center of town, are highly walkable. Public transportation is excellent in Cambridge and throughout the greater Boston area, though traffic is often notoriously congested. Seniors who have difficulty with public transportation can take advantage of the Volunteer Escort Transportation Program of Somerville-Cambridge Elder Services by calling ahead to arrange rides for any reason, especially transportation to medical appointments.
- The Cambridge area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Massachusetts General, Brigham and Women's Hospital, and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The state of Massachusetts is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities. This means the state's elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Paying for Assisted Living in Cambridge
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Massachusetts
Assisted Living costs in Cambridge start around $5,200 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Cambridge and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Cambridge
Government assistance is available to help seniors pay for assisted living in Cambridge. If you believe you're eligible, apply for financial assistance from Group Adult Foster Care and from Supplemental Security Income Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Cambridge
Cambridge and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Cambridge, please visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Cambridge
Cambridge-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Massachusetts are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Cambridge, MA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Cambridge
Review of Neville Place
We chose Neville Place because they have good security. The staff is caring, and the place has a good feel. My mother joins their activities, and they take their residents out a lot. More important... Read more
Review of Cadbury Commons
Cadbury Commons was a lovely place with a very nice atmosphere. It's for intelligent people like my mother who love music and lots of good things. It was very welcoming with very nice amenities, li... Read more
Review of The Cambridge Homes
I was able to eat at The Cambridge Homes and can say that the food is very good. The dining area seemed very nice. The service was very good, too. The staff and management seemed very good. Read more