48 Assisted Living Facilities near Watertown, MA
There are 48 Assisted Living Facilities in the Watertown area, with 2 in Watertown and 46 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Watertown is $6,105 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Brighton with an average starting cost of $5,405.
To help you with your search, browse the 266 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Watertown. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Watertown 4.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Dracut with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Watertown, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Watertown, MA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Watertown
Founded in 1630, Watertown was one of the first Massachusetts Bay Colony settlements, and once had a population greater than Boston. The area is now home to more than 34,500 residents, 16% of whom are aged 65 and older, and may require assistance with daily activities.
In municipalities across Massachusetts, including Watertown, communities known as Assisted Living Residences (ALRs) provide this type of care for seniors. There are 50 ALRs located in Watertown and its surrounding communities, all of which are licensed by the Executive Office of Elder Affairs (EOEA).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Watertown
- As safety can be a concern for older residents, seniors may be comforted by Watertown's low crime rates. On a scale to 100, which represents high crime, the town receives a 12 for violent crime and 20.8 for property crime. These rates are far lower than the national averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively.
- Budget-conscious seniors may need to plan their finances carefully when choosing to settle in Watertown. At 171.5, the overall cost of living is higher than both the U.S. national average of 100 and the statewide average of 139.
- The Watertown area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Mt. Auburn Hospital, St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, McLean Hospital and Newton /Wellesley Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- While seasonal temperatures are slightly warmer in Watertown than many other Massachusetts areas, winters can still be harsh. On average, 53 inches of snowfall is expected annually, and temperatures can drop to 19 degrees.
- Watertown has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Watertown Council on Aging, an organization that focuses on helping the town's older residents stay connected to the community through social, health, educational, recreational, advocacy and support programs, as well as a senior center.
- Several transportation options are available to help seniors get around Watertown. The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) offers a pass that entitles seniors to reduced fares on its bus, subway and rail services, as well as a door-to-door program for those who can't use regular services. The city's Council on Aging also offers transportation services to take seniors to medical appointments, as well as a shuttle to take seniors grocery shopping.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Watertown
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Massachusetts
Assisted Living costs in Watertown start around $6,500 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Watertown and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Watertown
The Medicaid State Plan in Massachusetts covers the costs associated with assisted living services for many residences through several waiver programs, including the Money Follows the Person (MFP) program. An optional state supplement (OSS) is available for low-income seniors to help supplement the cost of room and board at ALRs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Watertown
Watertown and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Watertown, please visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Watertown
Watertown-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Massachusetts are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Watertown
Review of Brigham House
Brigham House seemed very nice and very appealing. I was looking for a short-term stay for a month or so, but they required a longer term, so it didn't fit with what I was looking for. I would've p... Read more
Review of The Residence at Watertown Square
I have had lunch several times at the Residence at Watertown Square with my friends who sold their home and moved there, and they are really happy with it. The food was very good. It was very tasty... Read more
Review of The Residence at Watertown Square
Great community, the staff is very friendly and accommodating. Amazing food as well! Read more