15 Assisted Living Facilities near Saco, ME
Also serving communities of Biddeford.
There are 15 Assisted Living Facilities in the Saco area, with 2 in Saco and 13 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 48 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Saco. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Saco 3.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Scarborough with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Saco, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Saco, ME
13 Assisted Living Facilities near Saco, ME
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Saco
Saco, Maine, is a haven for nature lovers. Home to miles of riverfront, the Ferry Beach State Park and the Rachel Carson U.S. Wildlife Preserve, seniors have no shortage of places to explore the natural beauty and engage in activities such as bird watching. The two assisted living facilities (ALFs) inside city limits and 28 in the nearby area provide plenty of options for those looking to spend their later years in this area.
The Maine Department of Health and Human Services governs the licensing and regulation of ALFs in Saco. An ALF is known as a residential care facility in the Saco area, and this is a facility that provides personal care services and supervision to seniors in a homelike setting.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Saco
- The climate in Saco, Maine, has warm summers and cold winters. The average high temperature in July is 80 degrees, so seniors can enjoy the outdoors in comfort. The average low temperature in January is 13 degrees, with 59 inches of snow, so seniors may find it difficult to be active during this season.
- Violent crime in Saco is rated at 13.9 out of 100 (1 being the safest), which is much lower than the national average of 31.1. Property crime is rated at 40.6, which is only a little higher than the national average of 38.1, so seniors can feel safe in this area.
- The Saco area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Southern Maine Health Care — Biddeford Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Saco is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities. This means the elected leadership of the town is committed and actively working to ensure the town is a great place for those of all ages.
- The area of York County received a poor ozone score of D from the American Lung Association. Seniors with a bronchial or respiratory illness could be adversely affected here.
- Saco is conveniently located near The Maine Mall, a favorite among locals across southern Maine. Seniors can learn more about Saco’s history at the Saco Museum or enjoy a round of golf at the Deep Brook Golf Course. Big-city amenities in the town of Portland are a short drive away.
Paying for Assisted Living in Saco
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maine
Assisted Living costs in Saco start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Saco and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Saco
Seniors living on a budget in Maine may qualify for help paying for assisted living costs through the state’s Medicaid plan, MaineCare’s Long-Term Care program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maine page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maine page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Saco
Saco and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Saco, please visit our Assisted Living in Maine page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Saco
Saco-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maine are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maine page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Saco
Review of The Landing at Saco Bay
This facility has really gone down in the last few years. The staff is always changing here and only a couple of them really care. The supervisors are non-existant when you need to talk to them, in... Read more
Review of The Landing at Saco Bay
Nice looking facility however they are understaffed particularly on evenings and weekends. The turnover in help is very very high. This has a negative impact on the residents care. There is alwa... Read more
Review of Wardwell Retirement Neighborhood
Wardwell Retirement had old and new sections. It was comfortable and definitely more of a community in and about the common areas. There were people making puzzles, playing Bingo, reading, and soci... Read more