27 Assisted Living Facilities near Portland, ME
Also serving communities of South Portland.
There are 27 Assisted Living Facilities in the Portland area, with 6 in Portland and 21 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Portland is $5,497 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,595.
To help you with your search, browse the 103 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Portland. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Portland 3.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Falmouth with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Portland, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Portland, ME
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Portland
Located in southern Maine, Portland is a quintessential Maine town where residents and visitors can experience lobsters and lighthouses as well as arts, history, fairs, festivals, parks and wildlife. There are also a total of 31 assisted living communities in and around the Portland area, with six in the Portland city limits and 25 in the nearby areas, including Falmouth, Westbrook and Cape Elizabeth. These facilities give support to seniors who need help with the activities of daily living, such as eating, bathing, and grooming.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Portland
- The winters are long and cold in Portland, ME, and with an average temperature of 46°F it doesn't warm up too much in the summertime either. Average annual snowfall is way above the national average as well, at 62 inches annually.
- The cost of living in Portland is 23 percent higher than the national average and 18 percent higher than the state average, ranking Portland one of the least affordable Maine cities to live in.
- There's a whole host of activities to keep seniors entertained in the Portland area. There's a large number of museums and galleries in the city, ensuring that there's something to suit all tastes available.
- The Portland area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Maine Medical Center and the Mercy Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Portland is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Portland has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Salvation Army Senior Center, an organization that encourages local seniors to keep fit and play an active role in their local community, as well as 1 other senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Portland
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maine
Assisted Living costs in Portland start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Portland and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Portland
Seniors who qualify for federal SSI payments can apply to Maine's supplement program to help pay for the costs associated with assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maine page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maine page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Portland
Portland and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Portland, please visit our Assisted Living in Maine page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Portland
Portland-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maine are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maine page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Portland, ME
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Portland
Review of 75 State Street
75 State Street is a great place, but not for my mother. It's very busy and very energetic, and my mother is very sedate, quiet, and needs a lot of assistance. We just didn't feel that it was right... Read more
Review of Birchwoods at Canco Assisted Living
My mom moved into Birchwoods at Canco Assisted Living. I'm extremely impressed and happy with the service. The staff is outstanding. They are incredible. They have been such a huge help, and I cann... Read more
Review of Portland Center for Assisted Living
My father was a resident at PCAL. He enjoyed the smoking area with the canopy sides and roof that was installed. He also enjoyed being near the bus line and right in-town as he liked to go out into... Read more