25 Assisted Living Facilities near Westbrook, ME
Also serving communities of Gorham, Windham.
There are 25 Assisted Living Facilities in the Westbrook area, with 2 in Westbrook and 23 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Westbrook is $5,075 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 83 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Westbrook. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Westbrook 3.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Scarborough with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Westbrook, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Westbrook, ME
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Westbrook
Westbrook became its own town in 1814 after breaking from the larger city of Falmouth. This area lies on the Presumpscott River and was an industrious mill town until late into the 20th century. Today, seniors can stroll along the river and canal systems or relax with a round of golf at the Sunset Ridge Golf Course. In addition to ample leisure activities, the greater Westrbook area offers 30 Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs) for seniors to choose from. These ALFs, or Residential Care Facilities (RCFs) as they’re referred to in Westbrook, are licensed by the Maine Department of Health and Human Services to provide personal care services for seniors in a homelike setting.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Westbrook
- Westbrook is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- The Westbrook area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Mercy Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Westbrook is home to comfortable summers and chilly winters. The average high temperature in July is 79 degrees, so seniors can enjoy walking trails and activities easily, but the winters can make it hard to be active all year round due to the average low temperature in January being 12 degrees and bringing in an average of 68 inches of snowfall.
- Seniors and their loved ones can feel relatively safe in Westbrook due to the low crime rate. Violent crime is quite low at 13.5 out of 100 (1 being the safest), compared to the national average of 31.1. However, the property crime is rated at 48.8, which is a bit higher than the national average of 38.1.
- Seniors with a respiratory illness shouldn’t be adversely affected in Westbrook. The American Lung Association gave Cumberland County’s Ozone a solid B rating and an A for their Particle Pollution 24-hour score.
- Seniors can take advantage of the Greater Portland Metro bus system which has a route that runs through Westbrook. GP Metro buses are handicapped accessible and discounted for those over 55, so seniors can run errands and visit appointments with ease.
Paying for Assisted Living in Westbrook
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maine
Assisted Living costs in Westbrook start around $5,075 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Westbrook and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Westbrook
Seniors seeking help for covering assisted living costs may be eligible for aid by the state’s Medicaid plan, MaineCare Long-Term Care program. There are no non-Medicaid programs available for ALFs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maine page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maine page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Westbrook
Westbrook and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Westbrook, please visit our Assisted Living in Maine page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Westbrook
Westbrook-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maine are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maine page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Westbrook
Review of Avita of Stroudwater
I like Stroudwater Lodge because it's like a five-star hotel. It's very upscale and modern, which is different from the other senior places we've looked at. The people are excellent and very good. ... Read more
Review of Avita of Stroudwater
The service at Stroudwater Lodge is excellent. The staff is great, they're very friendly people. Their amenities include a salon, theatre, and they have a bar with a happy hour in the afternoon. Th... Read more
Review of Springbrook Center
THE PERSONAL CARE OF THE RESIDENTS IS ATTROCIOUS. MY MOM WAS THERE AND SHE CONSTANTLY HAD FECES ON HER AND SMELLED. THEY NEVER GAVE HER A BATH/SHOWER UNLESS I COMPLAINED ABOUT HER ODOR. MY CONSTANT... Read more