3 Assisted Living Facilities near Auburn, IN
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Auburn area, with 1 in Auburn and 2 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 5 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Auburn. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Auburn 4.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Avilla with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Auburn, call (855) 863-8283.
1 Assisted Living Facility in Auburn, IN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Auburn
Auburn, Indiana, which is recognized as being the launching ground of the automobile industry in the early-1900s, is sought out for its low cost of living and its prime location near major cities such as Indianapolis, Detroit and Chicago. The city is within a day's drive to over 75 percent of the United States, making it a convenient option for seniors and their families.
To support its senior population, Auburn has one assisted living community, and there are an additional nine nearby. Auburn's assisted living facility, as well as all Indiana facilities, is licensed by the Family and Social Services Agency Division of Aging. Each facility offers at least one health-related service and two or more scheduled supportive services to at least five individuals.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Auburn
- The cost of living in Auburn is nearly 20 percent lower than the national average, which may appeal to seniors on a budget. Seniors can also expect to spend about 20 percent less on groceries than they would elsewhere in the country and about 25 percent less on transportation and health care.
- Auburn experiences hot summers with highs around 84 degrees Fahrenheit and chilly, snowy winters with lows around 17 degrees. The region gets about 34 inches of annual snowfall, which is several inches more than the national average. This may be a concern for seniors who enjoy being active outdoors throughout the year.
- Auburn seniors do not have to pay state income tax on Social Security benefits, but Indiana does tax income from pensions and retirement accounts. This may impact the amount of money available to be put toward assisted living.
- Auburn offers a safe, small-town atmosphere with a low overall crime rate, which is about 30 percent lower than both the state and national averages. Its violent crime rate is roughly 80 percent lower than the Indiana and countrywide means, and the property crime rate is about 20 percent lower. Seniors will likely feel safe and secure living in Auburn.
- While Auburn doesn't have a public transportation system, the DeKalb County Council on Aging provides transportation to seniors via DART Transportation. DART, which provides rides throughout the county, is a Medicaid Transportation Provider, and their vans can accommodate most wheelchairs.
- The Auburn area is home to world-class medical facilities, including DeKalb Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Auburn
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in Auburn start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Auburn and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Auburn
Auburn seniors who meet income guidelines may be eligible to receive financial assistance with their assisted living expenses. Currently, Indiana offers three programs to help cover these costs, including Indiana Medicaid, the Medicaid Aged and Disabled 1915 (c) Waiver program and the Indiana Residential Care Assistance Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Auburn
Auburn and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Auburn, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Auburn
Auburn-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Auburn
Review of Smith Farms Manor
We moved my parents into Smith Farms Manor. They have a 2-bedroom apartment. It’s very nice, very clean, and it has a little balcony. The facilities are well maintained and very pleasant. The staff... Read more
Review of Smith Farms Manor
My dad has been in Smith Farms for about five weeks now. It is very nice, looks like a good fit for my dad, and is convenient for my sister and me. It is a win-win. Read more
Review of Smith Farms Manor
I visited Smith Farms Manor, and I was very impressed by the facilities, the all the services that they provided, and the variety of people who could stay there -- people who needed 24/7 and those ... Read more